AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga & Light Novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mix - [New Adachi manga, 26 years after Touch] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=111610)

Blue-kun 2012-04-11 20:14

Mix - [New Adachi manga, 26 years after Touch]
 
http://i.imgur.com/VJ05T.jpg

I don't think there's a thread for this yet, so...

Guardian Enzo has brought this to my attention over Twitter, but it seems that Adachi is preparing a new monthly series called Mix, which will take place in Meisei, 26 years after 'Touch'.

As expected, it'll be running on Monthly Shounen Sunday, following up that announcement about a new Adachi series that was supposed to be starting soon.

Anyway, I simply love Touch, and to this day it's still my favourite work by Mitsuru Adachi, and probably my favourite anime/manga work of all time. Cross Game, H2, KATSU!, all of those were awesome, but nothing quite got me as the Tatsuya x Minami relationship, so, yeah, I'm honestly really excited for this, despite not knowing how exactly he'll be playing the whole future Meisei setting.

It's also intriguing how (and why) he decided to go back to it after all these years, and as Guardian Enzo put it on his blog, it might be a small sign of desperation, since the Touch name would definitely get more people on board given its enormous popularity. However, he's also growing old (60 this year), so I wonder if there aren't any personal reasons for revisiting what was probably the title that made him (along with Miyuki, I guess?) who he is today. I'm fairly sure I also read stuff about how the brother rivalry thing was based off his own experiences with his late brother, so... who knows?

One way or the other, I can't wait. Here's hoping this one will go far and keep being updated, as opposed to Over Fence! :heh:

kuroishinigami 2012-04-11 20:23

Adachi is a legend already in sunday, there's no way he'll feel desperate to make a new hit. Beside, AFAIK he still has a current running serialization in monthly sunday(Q&A).

Anyway, as for this manga, I'm extremely estatic for it, but I don't think Adachi has the stamina to do long weekly series anymore without break, so expect either a short series or lots of break along with several short hiatus(he also took around 1 month hiatus on cross game after all, nt to mention the breaks).

Blue-kun 2012-04-11 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroishinigami (Post 4103184)
Adachi is a egend already in sunday, there's no way he'll feel desperate to make a new hit. Beside, AFAIK he still has a current running serialization in monthly sunday(Q&A).

Anyway, as for this manga, I'm extremely estatic for it, but I don't think Adachi has the stamina to do long weekly series anymore without break, so expect either a short series or lots of break along with several short hiatus(he also took around 1 month hiatus on cross game after all, nt to mention the breaks).

I'm guessing it'll be running alongside Q&A on Shounen Sunday? Actually don't know, now that you mention it. But yeah, weekly is probably a no-go for Adachi at this point, which is a shame, really, but oh well!

Okashira 2012-04-11 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroishinigami (Post 4103184)
Adachi is a legend already in sunday, there's no way he'll feel desperate to make a new hit. Beside, AFAIK he still has a current running serialization in monthly sunday(Q&A).

Seconded, one thing that the last 10 years or so of Adachi has shown us is that he does premises for series not because he needs to, but because he feels like it, and having a current on going series is definitely not something that gets in the way of his "feel like it".

Anyway, right now I'm actually quite interested in his current "semi on-going" works, and I'll surely be all over this one when it pops up.

germanturkey 2012-04-11 20:43

moar baseball?

SoFarGone 2012-04-11 21:57

from the raws I've seen, it kinda look like Q&A is ending soon.

GrimJack 2012-04-12 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFarGone (Post 4103295)
from the raws I've seen, it kinda look like Q&A is ending soon.

I thought it ended last month or maybe it is this month

Darknemo2000 2012-04-12 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimJack (Post 4103683)
I thought it ended last month or maybe it is this month

Don't care either way. Happy if it is finally done. It was a crappy series and it was painful to watch how Adachi was waisting his time on it.

blade82 2012-04-12 18:08

the best serie so far (for me and i think some will disagree) is Katsu because i love boxe:D and i dislike very very much baseball:mad:

Blue-kun 2012-05-07 05:54

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/68703

According to a friend's translation, the series is starting May 12th on Gessan. Other information was already known, such as the fact that it takes place in Meisei, 26 years after Touch. The two guys in the picture below are the main characters this time around, I don't think they gave out any information about who they are whatsoever.

Picture under spoiler tag because of size.

Spoiler for Gessan Cover:

haet 2012-05-08 03:21

finally, more touch! i've been waiting 26 years! i'm tired of adachi doing manga about high school sports teams and love triangles with a laidback but occasionally bittersweet atmosphere! adachi's finally over that shit now and getting back to his roots with some muthafuggin' TOUCH



just playing, guys. i'll probably read this and enjoy the hell out of it. i gotta admit that the idea of a Touch sequel is a pretty weak gimmick, though, and i say that as a great fan of gimmicks. i'm thinking this time he could go with triplets, and terrible accidents could befall two of them... Touch II: TOUCH HARDER

Dorfl 2012-05-08 12:23

*sigh* He never is going to learn to draw different character designs, is he.

Xellos-_^ 2012-05-08 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfl (Post 4150987)
*sigh* He never is going to learn to draw different character designs, is he.

i always imagine them as actors

Blue-kun 2012-05-08 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfl (Post 4150987)
*sigh* He never is going to learn to draw different character designs, is he.

Haha, I don't think he needs to, by this time. He's already quite famous, and the fact his characters all look alike is also quite well-known, even by himself. Actually, if he ever decided to change their general appearance too much, that'd be one less fourth wall joke he could put into his stories! :heh: It's classic Adachi to see some panels where one character calls another one by a name of a past protagonist instead of their actual name.

Blue-kun 2012-05-13 19:12

Double posting, but alas. First chapter is out there and it was mostly a very Adachi-ish introductory chapter. I liked how he made use of the Touch connection to add in some very classic jokes, except with a bit more nuance now for the old timers who have read Touch.

As for the characters, not much to say about the three siblings so far, but from the little clues that he laid out in this chapter, I guess there's a high chance of them being adopted into the Tachibana family, or at least one of them. It's a nice touch (hah), since I guess they may or may not want to add some plot point relating one of the kids to some characters from Touch. Also, the fact that they may not be real siblings would open up some different opportunities for the romance part, although, honestly speaking, I don't know if he'd go down that path once again. He's done it in Miyuki, and Jinbe to some extent, but both of those works had a different feel than his other more 'mainstream" baseball manga, let's call it that way. Still, I guess I can't put it past him to bring back some elements like that into Mix.

And now that I think about it, the title didn't make a lot of sense at first, but here I am thinking of countless situations spread all across his works and trying to apply it here. A mix of stuff? :heh:

Anyway, the bad part about this will be waiting another month to get the second chapter, but at least I think it will be coming, so that's already much better than the deal we got with Over Fence. Oh, and before I forget, god damn it, Punch, how is this dog still alive? hahaha. ON!~

Blue-kun 2012-05-18 20:02

Bumping because... it deserves? And this is interesting. I hope it's not against the rules, I can't find anything about posting again if there's new information that's relevant, so!

Anyway, it seems like the first chapter of MIX managed to get Gessan Shounen Magazine sold out all over Japan. From what I gather that's something that almost never happens, and as such Shogakukan has begun reprinting the magazine. All that in less than one week after it came out!.

I find it pretty amazing how strong the Touch name seems to be, even after 25 years. With the quality most likely assured to remain good, it seems Gessan's in for some good times ahead. As for me, I just wish this would be a weekly manga, haha.

Qilin 2012-05-18 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-kun (Post 4148908)
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/68703

According to a friend's translation, the series is starting May 12th on Gessan. Other information was already known, such as the fact that it takes place in Meisei, 26 years after Touch. The two guys in the picture below are the main characters this time around, I don't think they gave out any information about who they are whatsoever.

Picture under spoiler tag because of size.

Spoiler for Gessan Cover:

Oh my. Do my eyes deceive me?

It's a heroine who doesn't look like a clone of every other Adachi love interest.

I'll watch out for this just for that. :D

totoum 2012-06-11 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-kun (Post 4166358)
I find it pretty amazing how strong the Touch name seems to be, even after 25 years. With the quality most likely assured to remain good, it seems Gessan's in for some good times ahead. As for me, I just wish this would be a weekly manga, haha.

Well it is pretty amazing,I hope people stick around!

So yeah,it looks like one brother is adopted (nice bait and switch towards touch readers),that does open up romance and as you've pointed out Adachi's been there before ( read jinbe a little while ago) but I didn't get any vibes while reading the chapter.

Also I find interesting that there was no real main character in this chapter , Touch's first chapter was Tat-Chan centric and Cross Game was Ko centric for example.
And why is that 3rd year the pitcher?Touma seems quite good and so does Ichiban (lol @ that name),is he just better than them or is something else at play here?
They're in middle school so unless we get a time skip we're quite a ways off from koshien

Blue-kun 2012-06-11 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by totoum
And why is that 3rd year the pitcher?Touma seems quite good and so does Ichiban (lol @ that name),is he just better than them or is something else at play here?
They're in middle school so unless we get a time skip we're quite a ways off from koshien

It just seemed to me that the pitcher was being favoured by the coach for whatever reason, really. Not only did he not seem to be as good as Touma and Ichiban (hell yeah), he also skipped practice and left before everyone else etc. I guess we'll find out a bit more about it on this month's chapter, anyway.

Still, I do find it weird how this is a monthly series and yet he decided to start the story back in middle school. The Koushien was already mentioned, too, so I don't think he'll be dropping that plot point, so it should be fun seeing how exactly he'll handle the inevitable timeskip.

EDIT: http://natalie.mu/comic/news/70886

Apparently this month's Gessan, which goes on sale today, will bring both chapter 1 and 2 of Mix. I suppose it must have to do with the fact they had to run reprints for the first magazine, after it sold out. This week's Shounen Sunday will also have the first chapter of MIX in it, along with some sort of side-story. They're certainly making the most out of the series' apparent popularity, haha.

totoum 2012-06-12 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-kun (Post 4202291)
Still, I do find it weird how this is a monthly series and yet he decided to start the story back in middle school. The Koushien was already mentioned, too, so I don't think he'll be dropping that plot point, so it should be fun seeing how exactly he'll handle the inevitable timeskip.

Unless for once the team actualy wins the koshien in their first year of highschool ( just throwing the idea out there :heh:)

I'm really wondering what the special will be about,but I'm not saying no to two chapters of mix published at the same time :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.