AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Feedback: Option to turn off reputation (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=111660)

monster 2012-04-14 12:48

Option to turn off reputation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 4104320)
Actually the list visibility being tied to that setting was a deliberate change I made to reintroduce a "bug" that the authors "fixed". A number of people complained about the sudden appearance of the reputation list, including felix, after an upgrade. They were used to not seeing the list when they had disabled reputation.

Actually, if that's the case, then why not have the option to actually turn off reputation? I wouldn't care about the comments at all if I know I wouldn't have any once I turn the feature off.

By turning off, I mean completely off. You can't give other people positive/negative reputation, and other people can't give you positive/negative reputation.

And to prevent abuse, you can make it so that a reputation power less than 10 will remain when reputation is turned off, but a reputation more than 10 will be reset to 10 when reputation is turned off.

And note that this option can be in addition to simply hiding your reputation.

Tempester 2012-04-14 22:28

Sounds great to me. I'd also like the option to not see other people's reputation. I want to see everyone in the same way without having those green blocks telling me who is more "important" than others.

Archon_Wing 2012-04-14 22:34

Hmm, if you hide your reputation why would you care anyways? Unless you turn it back on just to see it, in which case you sorta do care. ;)

But I guess it'd make sense to make it all, rep related things, invisible to people that "opt out" and want to have it hidden.

monster 2012-04-14 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Wing (Post 4108211)
Hmm, if you hide your reputation why would you care anyways? Unless you turn it back on just to see it, in which case you sorta do care. ;)

Well, as I stated in the other thread (from which I quoted NightWish's post), I don't care about the point system, but I still would like to read any comment people might have left along with their rep.

Turning off rep completely would effectively negate that possibility.

NightWish 2012-04-15 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 4107635)
Actually, if that's the case, then why not have the option to actually turn off reputation?

Two responses to this, the first is historical: It doesn't turn it off completely because that's not how the change evolved. It wasn't considered. Second response, had that been the direction the change went in (or if we considered it now), it would have (and still would be) much more invasive. That is to say we'd have to alter much more of the forum's code to get it to work. Currently we're just changing a "show this part of the page" setting. Single line change, no broader impact.

As I said in the other thread, probably unlikely to make changes to the system at this point. Couple of reasons for this; first, I want to overhaul the system anyway. No point in making significant changes to scrap them later. Second, we have a major software upgrade in the pipeline so we're trying to push modification back until after that is complete. Before anyone asks, sorry but we don't have a confirmed date for the upgrade yet.

Point duly noted though; I can see there is a desire for more flexibility around turning the system off.

monster 2012-04-15 15:16

Alright, thanks for the response. I can understand how hard and time consuming it can be to manage this forum in your spare time. But, yes, please consider this option whenever you have the time and the will to make bigger changes to the forum.

warita 2012-04-18 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempester (Post 4108207)
Sounds great to me. I'd also like the option to not see other people's reputation. I want to see everyone in the same way without having those green blocks telling me who is more "important" than others.

And its hardly about importance either.... it is about popularity and some of acquired in a questionable way.

I contemplated turning my reputation off when I first joined AS, just because I didnt like the idea. But then I figured, that it could look like you are hiding a bad reputation (even if that is not the case) I didnt want to look like I am a trouble maker... so in the end I left it as it is.

There are certain benefits to the reputation system I originally didnt see and so I have come to appreciate it.

ChainLegacy 2012-04-18 12:57

I'm not sure if the AnimeSuki staff changed the options around somewhere along the line, but I find it bizarre how prevelant rep has become on the forum as opposed to the first few years I posted here. I remember pretty much everyone having the one green box until at least 2006... Am I remembering things incorrectly?

Anyways I wouldn't pay the system much heed. I know I myself gave out some pretty stupid rep on here when I was a young teen. :p

relentlessflame 2012-04-18 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChainLegacy (Post 4114492)
I'm not sure if the AnimeSuki staff changed the options around somewhere along the line, but I find it bizarre how prevelant rep has become on the forum as opposed to the first few years I posted here. I remember pretty much everyone having the one green box until at least 2006... Am I remembering things incorrectly?

I think it's because rep power grows over time, and compounds based on a number of (secret) factors. So whereas back in the early days everyone was giving maybe a few points at a time, some people today have enough rep power to give 10-15 points all at once or more. So the scale seems exponential, and it's a lot easier for your rep to grow now than it was back in the day.

This is one of the reasons I was wondering to myself if it might not be a bad idea to have some sort of a rep reset, or "re-balancing" at some point. But there are actually better ideas on the table anyway, so we'll see what happens.

Suomi 2012-04-18 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4114788)
So whereas back in the early days everyone was giving maybe a few points at a time, some people today have enough rep power to give 10-15 points all at once or more.

Wait...you can give different amounts of points for rep? O.o
...how?

Daniel E. 2012-04-18 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusore (Post 4114903)
Wait...you can give different amounts of points for rep? O.o
...how?

Under the current system, you cannot control the amount of rep points you give or take.

relentlessflame 2012-04-18 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel E. (Post 4115048)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusore (Post 4114903)
Wait...you can give different amounts of points for rep? O.o
...how?

Under the current system, you cannot control the amount of rep points you give or take.

Right, what I meant is that some people's rep is worth more than others, and factors like time and the amount of positive rep you have factor into it. So back in the day the rate that rep was increasing was slower than it is today, and that's why it seems like rep is used a lot more than it used to be. It really isn't, but the points just add up more quickly.

Archon_Wing 2012-04-19 00:57

So, we're basically suffering from inflation? :heh: It doesn't help I give these things out like free candy. I guess we could rebalance/reset if people have time.

NeoChan 2012-04-19 03:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4114788)
So whereas back in the early days everyone was giving maybe a few points at a time, some people today have enough rep power to give 10-15 points all at once or more.

Woah, this just scared me.:heh:

NoemiChan 2012-04-19 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoChan (Post 4115490)
Woah, this just scared me.:heh:

I learned my part. Just be a normal citizen and no one will summon a "critical hit on you"... Just go with the flow.:)

TinyRedLeaf 2012-04-19 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4115074)
Right, what I meant is that some people's rep is worth more than others, and factors like time and the amount of positive rep you have factor into it. So back in the day the rate that rep was increasing was slower than it is today, and that's why it seems like rep is used a lot more than it used to be. It really isn't, but the points just add up more quickly.

Since it's basically just a harmless game, I don't mind whether or not the reputation system is rebalanced. But if you are already in the process of revamping it, I'd suggest dropping factors like date of forum membership to determine "rep power". Seniority doesn't necessarily mean quality, after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4115493)
I learned my part. Just be a normal citizen and no one will summon a "critical hit on you"... Just go with the flow.

Good gracious, no. If that's the effect the system has, I'd rather we do away with it completely. The size of any person's reputation shouldn't intimidate newer members into self-censorship or silence. Furthermore, from what I understand, "negrep" is only a fraction of one's "positive rep" power. Just because some can give out as much as 30 or more rep points doesn't mean he or she can deal that much in "critical damage".

SeijiSensei 2012-04-19 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf (Post 4115563)
Seniority doesn't necessarily mean quality, after all.

Perhaps not, but age should definitely matter! ;) Exponentially, if you please.

Marcus H. 2012-04-20 01:01

Quote:

I think it's because rep power grows over time, and compounds based on a number of (secret) factors.
So this is why getting opinions that might be offensive to the older crowd of users will eventually cause you to get a reputation dip so steep that you'd end up disabling it altogether. Rep power should not give advantage to those who have been in AnimeSuki since the Very First Day, as newer users will be hit quite hard if their opinions end up opposing those of the veterans.

I think rep points power should just depend on the current rep value and nothing else.

NoemiChan 2012-04-20 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf (Post 4115563)
Just because some can give out as much as 30 or more rep points doesn't mean he or she can deal that much in "critical damage".

Now you just made it more scarier for the newbies.:heh:

I've been in Animesuki for nearly two years now and still I feel the chills when giving opinions especially those that disagrees the veterans view point. The choice of words you used can either lengthen or shorten your stay.

Archon_Wing 2012-04-20 01:20

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." is all I have to quote if you're worried about that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.