AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Hyouka (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Hyouka - Character Discussion - Oreki Houtarou (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112301)

Kairin 2012-05-16 03:56

Hyouka - Character Discussion - Oreki Houtarou
 
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Houtarou Oreki related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Hyouka fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Hyper 2012-05-16 04:49

The most interesting thing about his character for me at the beginning of the series is how he genuinely does not believe that his "energy conservation" lifestyle is superior and his constantly "I'm not that smart" remarks.
Usually people live the way they are because, IMO, they think that's the best way to go. The best theory on his behavior I hear is he just does not know what and where he should spend his energy on, since he find nothing to be worth it.
Or maybe the guy read too much about the Universe's heat death and now trying his best to slowdown the increasing entropy :D

SRanger 2012-05-16 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper (Post 4162641)
Or maybe the guy read too much about the Universe's heat death and now trying his best to slowdown the increasing entropy :D

Maybe he'll find another solution to that instead of always conserving energy, like...you know... tricking middle school girls into becoming..like...magical girls or something, I dunno.

Ruby Princess 2012-05-16 10:53

Oreki's an okay character, but I don't feel like wasting the energy I need to talk about him.

ronelm2000 2012-05-16 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper (Post 4162641)
The most interesting thing about his character for me at the beginning of the series is how he genuinely does not believe that his "energy conservation" lifestyle is superior and his constantly "I'm not that smart" remarks.
Usually people live the way they are because, IMO, they think that's the best way to go. The best theory on his behavior I hear is he just does not know what and where he should spend his energy on, since he find nothing to be worth it.
Or maybe the guy read too much about the Universe's heat death and now trying his best to slowdown the increasing entropy :D

Why am I thinking Kyubey? :P

Spoiler for I know this is only for Madoka fans....:


Seriously, this guy has an awesome lifestyle. Spending energy on energy conservation.

OceanBlue 2012-05-16 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronelm2000 (Post 4163062)
Seriously, this guy has an awesome lifestyle. Spending energy on energy conservation.

Maybe it's like spending money on maintenance :heh:. You're spending money but it isn't as much as replacing whatever the thing is.

SRanger 2012-05-16 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Princess (Post 4162993)
Oreki's an okay character, but I don't feel like wasting the energy I need to talk about him.

y so mean, Ilya?

Flower 2012-05-16 14:29

Last ep (i.e. ep 4) when Houtarou was in the bathroom trying to come up with a plausible pattern to all the info he pulls a lock of hair hangin over his forehead, frowns and looks focused. When he did that I thought "where have I seen this?" ... and just this morning I realized that I saw it in Toradora. Takasu used to do the same thing in ep 1 and the OP I believe.

That aside, I actually kinda like Houtarou. I get the feeling he really is a good guy down deep, but has simply been unable to find anything to CARE about. I have a feeling the novels and the anime will be a chronicle of him slowly changing because he found something he cares about - i.e. Chitanda - and from her begins to be able to appreciate other things as well.

Hyper 2012-05-17 02:03

Houtarou and Holmes
 
I think this should be stated somewhere in this thread, so here goes:

A lot of people compare Houtarou to Sherlock, but as many people in various blogs and boards pointed out, he is more similar to the older sibling, Mycroft Holmes. Here's a quote about him:
Quote:

...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right. Again and again I have taken a problem to him, and have received an explanation which has afterwards proved to be the correct one. And yet he was absolutely incapable of working out the practical points...

—Sherlock Holmes, speaking of his brother in "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter"

Tmarsev 2012-05-17 08:28

Houtarou is one of boy characters I like best, I think

I've liked him since the time he talk himself: don't care anything and do not do anything that wastes energy

Flower 2012-05-17 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper (Post 4163952)
I think this should be stated somewhere in this thread, so here goes:

A lot of people compare Houtarou to Sherlock, but as many people in various blogs and boards pointed out, he is more similar to the older sibling, Mycroft Holmes. Here's a quote about him:

Hmm ... Mycroft eh? Would not have thought of that.

ronelm2000 2012-05-17 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper (Post 4163952)
I think this should be stated somewhere in this thread, so here goes:

A lot of people compare Houtarou to Sherlock, but as many people in various blogs and boards pointed out, he is more similar to the older sibling, Mycroft Holmes. Here's a quote about him:

He DOES try to prove himself right though, Oreki that is....

OceanBlue 2012-05-17 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronelm2000 (Post 4164827)
He DOES try to prove himself right though, Oreki that is....

More often than not, though, he tells Chitanda to go check out the scene herself and gets dragged there by Chitanda anyway.

ronelm2000 2012-05-18 05:01

He was implicitly saying, "I know I want confirmation, but can't you... as in only you go instead to save myself the effort?" ?

Hyper 2012-05-18 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronelm2000 (Post 4165471)
He was implicitly saying, "I know I want confirmation, but can't you... as in only you go instead to save myself the effort?" ?

I disagree on this point. Even at that point, if his theory made Chitanda satisfied, he wouldn't care less if it's actually correct. I expect him to change as the story progress, but at the beginning he really is someone who would rather be labeled wrong than spend his energy to prove himself right. To be exact, though, he wouldn't even try to solve it in the first place.

Until he met that purple eyes, that is.

Lilith 2012-05-19 02:07

Oreki fangirl squealing here! :p Something about brooding guys just get me.

IMO, this is what happens to people who tend to analyze their surroundings: they don't want to waste energy because they are already spending energy on being over-analytical most of the time.

I noticed that Hotarou always emphasises that he's average, normal and whatever happens is because he got lucky. Maybe he showed great talents at an early age and got alienated because of that.

Arturia Polaris 2012-05-19 02:16

Hmmm... Oreki strikes me as Kyon minus the internal radio he had and the somewhat funny moments.

Definately smart, but lazy as hell... kinda reminds me of myself, if I may say so.

Observant to everything, and having the brainpower to link everything together, makes a great character.

In a sense he also resembles Tomoya from Clannad, as in there's the hypnotoad to drag him around.

All hail the hypnotoad.

Arturia

Cyz 2012-05-22 17:46

For someone who doesn't like to waste energy, Oreki sure is not following it. I like how he thinks. Always calm and approach any situation in a logical approach. Plus, he's very very observant. It's quite amusing how a guy like him gets dragged around by Eru who is the complete opposite of him.

Kev-kun 2012-05-23 07:02

Just as a little joke... His saying of "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick". Kinda sounds like someone going to the bathroom ~_~ Hows that for energy conservation?

ronelm2000 2012-05-23 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyz (Post 4171940)
For someone who doesn't like to waste energy, Oreki sure is not following it.

Well, that's what you're led to believe. Remember, that whenever we talk about Oreki and Kotenbu (Classics Club), it's Chitanda we're talking about. The poor guy couldn't cut some slack without being "forced" upon by Chitanda Eru to doing her bidding. :heh: It was until Ep 4 - 5 though when we see Oreki starting to make several exceptions to his rule, especially when he tries to unnecessarily tie in the holes in the Jun theory, mostly because he's following up on Chitanda's request to him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev-kun (Post 4172602)
Just as a little joke... His saying of "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick". Kinda sounds like someone going to the bathroom ~_~ Hows that for energy conservation?

lol! He did!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.