AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   One Piece - Chapter 671 [manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112755)

marvelB 2012-06-13 03:10

One Piece - Chapter 671 [manga]
 
Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.



How do you do, people? As always, here's the latest OP info direct from T and translated by CCC from AP:


-Chapter title is "Gas Gas Fruit". The splash page features Nami and Chopper in a Cinderella type of setting.


-Sanji (in Nami's body) strips his clothes and goes swimming in the lake to search for Kinemon's torso. Meanwhile, Law meets with Monet in the lab, and asks her for her help. The two then set off someplace.


-Back to Luffy vs. Caesar, the supernova inhales some of the scientist's lethal gases, but he's unaffected. Once again, he notes that his resistance to poison is thanks to his past battle with Magellan, but CC says that his toxins shouldn't be lumped together with the former warden's. Luffy beats him up some more with some haki-infused attacks, and even avoids an explosion from the slime. However, once he manages to capture Caesar again, he suddenly passes out while the scientist laughs triumphantly.....


-Back at the lab, Law is suddenly in pain and collapses. Law asks who's there, and a new mystery man appears. Law is shocked by the appearance of the stranger while Monet giggles on. The man says it's been a long time since they've last met, and notes how much Law has grown.......




It's twist after twist with this storyline! :eyespin: So now a new enemy appears. Needless to say, we don't see his face just yet, but looking at the raw he doesn't seem to be a familiar character. I've already seen some people guessing that it's Aokiji, but I'm under the impression that it's someone new, probably Joker.


And it's kinda cool to see that Luffy still lost against Caesar even with his use of haki. It figures that CC can make deadlier concoctions than Magellan, so Luffy's gonna have to come up with a new strategy when they have their eventual rematch. Yep, definitely a cool chapter here. Which makes it all the more unfortunate that.....




NOTE: ODA WILL BE TAKING A BREAK NEXT WEEK SO DON'T EXPECT TO SEE THE NEXT CHAPTER THREAD UNTIL 6/27. I REPEAT: THERE WILL BE NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK.

SOGESNAKE 2012-06-13 03:30

.... why do I have the strangest feeling that stranger might be Kidd...?

marvelB 2012-06-13 03:39

BTW, Aohige pointed out something interesting at AP:


Quote:

BTW, although T didn't quite mention it, Robin confirms what we all knew, but was still a source of argument.

Haki allows Luffy to physically come in contact with Logia, but unlike Seastones and water, it does NOT cancel devil fruit powers out.
We all knew that, but people keep insisting it does on haki arguments, so here you go, canon.

So there you go. ;)


Also, Caesar actually uses castanets as weapons, which is really cool! :D

C.A. 2012-06-13 03:52

Well its like what I've been saying last time, Haki is the strength of the intention. When your intention to do something is so strong, you can make that hit happen or dodge what you want to dodge.

If your intention is to hit someone, not just a Logia, your Haki will allow that to happen.

If your intention is to stay unharmed, your skin can become so tough that you shrug off attacks, or you know that its coming and will dodge it.

If your intention is to know where someone is, you will sense him.

It has nothing to do with the Devil Fruits, its to do with the opponent themselves.

aohige 2012-06-13 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4204801)
BTW, Aohige pointed out something interesting at AP:





So there you go. ;)


Also, Caesar actually uses castanets as weapons, which is really cool! :D

That's GAStanets, thank you! :D

And a nice cliffhanger to torture us with before a break, Oda. :rolleyes:

Eleutheria 2012-06-13 04:54

My guess is Vegapunk!

Randrak42 2012-06-13 04:54

~Well now, that was interesting.
Marvel is right, it figures that CC can make deadlier poisons than Magellan, though it's a bit sad to see Luffy lose so early in the fight, CC looked like he took only minimal damage.
Though Luffy sucking up the poison and expelling it from his ears was hilarious.

Happy Harpy is so adorably evil...I love her. I was not expecting to see that happen with Law, this arc is filled with new Law expressions xD

Highlight of the chapter or me...Brook, Sanji and the samurai obsessing over the cloth eating slimes.

Bern-san 2012-06-13 05:51

Brook's story was pretty funny and to see the interest that both the samurai and Sanji had in it:heh:

At first I was praying that CC wasn't that weak but I'm happy that in the end Luffy was a bit too confident

Since I've always been a Law fangirl I love that we're getting new expression and learning a bit more about him. It would be cool if that man was Vegapunk. I'm expecting someone from his childhood.

I also like Harpy a lot:D

A shame we're going to wait a bit more for the next chapter

RRW 2012-06-13 05:55

so the mysterious person at the end. easy prediction is vegapunk since he know a lot about seastone. so possibly he created some invisible anti devil fruit user weapon/barrier.

and CC can defeat luffy probably because he removing oxygen around him

articuzwolf 2012-06-13 06:01

is it just me or that torso-less samurai seems angry when sanji went in to the lake

maybe he's hiding something...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRW (Post 4204866)
so the mysterious person at the end. easy prediction is vegapunk since he know a lot about seastone. so possibly he created some invisible anti devil fruit user weapon/barrier.

and CC can defeat luffy probably because he removing oxygen around him

My bet is on sleeping gas

Kafriel 2012-06-13 06:02

I think he used sleep gas rather than poison...as for the newcomer, judging from the shoes/pants/cape combo I'd guess Akainu himself. Next chapter in two weeks, hnnnnng!

RRW 2012-06-13 06:20

possibly candidate is joker

C.A. 2012-06-13 06:24

There are lots of ways Caesar Clown can knock out Luffy, since he literally has complete control over 1/3 of all known matter.

Besides using complex poisons like laughing gas, neural toxins, sleeping gas, insecticide etc., he could simply remove all oxygen, or replace it with carbon dioxide.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could create vacuum by drawing out gas from an area, like Luffy's lungs.

Now I'm thinking he probably has the Logia with the broadest range of effects, having control of not just an element, but an entire state of matter itself. The only other Logias that could match him is probably control over solids and liquids. Even so, those two states of matter are less harmful towards the human body itself.

If Caesar Clown really wants to destroy a body, he could probably fill someone's lungs with combustible gases and implode the person. Or maybe fill it with extremely toxic and corrosive uranium hexafluoride.

noktown 2012-06-13 06:29

I'm also thinking it's a sleeping gas,Luffy has a resistance to poison,we don't know how far does the gas gas fruit can go,he might be able to create any kind of gas,and there are many types,sleeping gas is one of them which seems to be the case here.

Also it seems to me that most of the crew has a knowledge of Haki,not all of them might control it,but they know about it,in my opinion Luffy just assumed that Zoro and Sanji know Haki because they beat Caribou together,he doesn't know for sure about the rest of the crew.
So even if some them might not be able to use Haki yet,I'm sure their main goal these past 2 years was to develop a counter to the Logia guys,because they suffer the most from Logias.

Tsukou 2012-06-13 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRW (Post 4204866)
so the mysterious person at the end. easy prediction is vegapunk since he know a lot about seastone. so possibly he created some invisible anti devil fruit user weapon/barrier.

and CC can defeat luffy probably because he removing oxygen around him

Instead of Vegapunk, I was thinking it could possibly be Don Flamingo. He had the ability to mysteriously control people, and it would make sense to that Law knows him, and of course illegal operations are what Flamingo is all about.

C.A. 2012-06-13 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by noktown (Post 4204892)
Also it seems to me that most of the crew has a knowledge of Haki,not all of them might control it,but they know about it,in my opinion Luffy just assumed that Zoro and Sanji know Haki because they beat Caribou together,he doesn't know for sure about the rest of the crew.
So even if some them might not be able to use Haki yet,I'm sure their main goal these past 2 years was to develop a counter to the Logia guys,because they suffer the most from Logias.

A skilled Haki user can sense the Haki from others, as shown in many cases like:

When Shanks stepped on White Beard's ship, Marco sensed the Haki coming from Shanks and warned the weak ones to stay away.

The Kuja are very sensitive to Haki as its part of their culture and they can tell if one has Haki or not. They all sensed Luffy's Haki when he released it.

In Impel Down, Black Beard sensed that Luffy's Haki has improved and commented on it.

Haki may not be something tangible, but it can be sensed by those who control it.

marvelB 2012-06-13 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by aohige (Post 4204811)
That's GAStanets, thank you! :D


Ah yes, I stand corrected. :p


And lol, I'm already seeing mistakes in the translation that's out (case in point: the aforementioned gastanets attack was translated as "Gas Tank"..... which is totally WRONG :rolleyes:). It always amuses me to think that a brief spoiler summary translation can still be a heck of a lot more accurate than that of a full chapter....


BTW, I actually meant to being this up when the spoiler was out, but I find it interesting that Law talks about needing Monet's "ability", which definitely seems to indicate that she's a DF user. So this means that either the harpy body IS a zoan transformation, or she already has a different power and just had Law modify her body for different reasons altogether (probably for the sake of convenience or something). I also find it mighty interesting that she seems to know who the new mystery man is.....


And back to that guy's identity, I already said before that I think he's Joker, but I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being Vegapunk (it would make sense for him to appear on an island he's heavily connected to, after all). Another possible candidate is the guy that Doflamingo was talking to shortly before the timeskip (but for all we know, he may be Joker!). Either way, I don't really see this guy being an admiral or whatever......



Edit: Oh, and another example of that chapter translation being sloppy: Caesar actually has a pet name for his slimes: Smilies. However, that trans only has him calling them slimes. And really, it's little things like that and the castanets attack that add a little more color to the character, so it saddens me when the translators don't bother taking those things into account.....

Kanon 2012-06-13 07:40

I was afraid Ceasar would get fodderized for a second, but he thankfully had a lot of tricks up his sleeve. Loved the gastanet attacks.

The end of the chapter was interesting. Just being in the presence of that mystery person is enough to make Law... get a heart attack? Is it that man's ability? The moe moe fruit? :heh:
Anyway, I'm also guessing he's the Joker we've heard so much about in this arc. Most likely a new character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4204935)
BTW, I actually meant to being this up when the spoiler was out, but I find it interesting that Law talks about needing Monet's "ability", which definitely indicates that she's a DF user. So this means that either the harpy body IS a zoan transformation, or she already has a different power and just had Law modify her body for different reasons altogether (probably for the sake of convenience or something). I also find it mighty interesting that she seems to know who the new mystery man is.....

Not necessarily. It could also mean he wants to borrow her ability as a scientist. Maybe the original term used in Japanese is clearer though.

Talendra 2012-06-13 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4204935)
Ah yes, I stand corrected. :p

BTW, I actually meant to being this up when the spoiler was out, but I find it interesting that Law talks about needing Monet's "ability", which definitely indicates that she's a DF user. So this means that either the harpy body IS a zoan transformation, or she already has a different power and just had Law modify her body for different reasons altogether (probably for the sake of convenience or something). I also find it mighty interesting that she seems to know who the new mystery man is.....

I think this serves as a good indication that she isnt some kinda harpy-df. She wasnt surprised the least that Law would need her power for something. Therefore it has to be something special - my guess would be knowledge based, high end analyzing ability or something along those lines. What could someone who can teleport himself require from a harpy after all. Might of course also be that she really "just" has a harpy df but along with other useful non-df skills and Law is referring to the latter ones. However, imo she has been shown to be harpy-esque so much, I just find it unlikely she really is (just) that.

marvelB 2012-06-13 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 4204967)
Not necessarily. It could also mean he wants to borrow her ability as a scientist. Maybe the original term used in Japanese is clearer though.


Good point, and I slightly edited my post to reflect that. However, looking at the raw, the word Law uses is definitely "能力" (nouryoku, which means ability) and I tend to see that word used a lot when DF powers are referred to. Still, I suppose the more Japanese-savvy posters like Aohige could help clear things up here....?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.