Fantasy manga with a hint of tragedy and romance
Hi there. I have just finished reading 07-Ghost up to the latest chapters, and I love this manga for the following reasons:
1) I love the art. There are bishies but not overly done. The art and the character designs are pleasant enough to look at.
2) Good character development. Most of the characters' past are properly explained and the bond between the characters are well-developed without rushing too much.
3) The balance between comedy and serious plot. This is where 07-Ghost excels. Unlike certain mangas, sometimes a number of chapters go by without a break in seriousness. It feels very dry, and the intensity of it is too much for me.
4) The long buried past that holds the key to the present mystery. I am dying to know what happens in the past in 07-ghost that leads to present events. There is a hint of tragedy that makes my anticipation all the more agonizing. I am not sure how to describe it, but it's the same feeling when one reads Rave. I suppose if I am to sum up, it's mystery+tragedy.
5) War and conflict between two countries. The epic feeling that ensues is something I highly enjoy in 07-ghost and hopefully in other mangas too.
6) You are not sure who the heck is the villain. You would think that the "apparent bad guy" is the main antagonist, but as you read further, you are not so sure......
7) I freaking love it when the fantasy/supernatural aspect involves heavenly beings.
I am not going to supply a list of mangas, because there's no point in that. I have been reading too many mature and seinen mangas that only recently I have begun to develop interest in fantasy mangas.Anyway, I know my request is ridiculously hard to fulfil, so just try your best. If I have to take my pick, I would say I give utmost priority to 2,4,5,and 7.
Btw, cookies for helpful suggestions!
something similar to 07-Ghost, mangas that comes to my mind are
both have steampunk styles like 07 ghost, both have nice fantasy and both are complicated, but there are several humorous moments,
pandora hearts is more of a mystery
D.gray man is more of shounen
but in both there is hardly any romance, but there is a little bishonen in Pandora Hearts ,but not overdone as you asked
I also second D-Grayman and Pandora Hearts.
Aside from there's also:
Ubett Blat - Which seems to fit most of your criteria, but it is fairly dark with not a whole of comedy compared to the others mentioned here.
Amagoi - Another one that fits most of requirements, there isn't War or anything yet, but it has a strong adventurous vibe.
Akame ga Kill - This one is rather dark overall, but balanced with a lot lighthearted moments. It also plays around morality quite a bit and fills most of the quota.
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Deals mostly with economics and romance with a bit politics thrown for good measure, the series is more about ending a existing proxy war. Pretty much hits more or less of your targets except for tragedy.
Hope that helps.
Romeo x Juliet. The setting is very different than the original Shakespeare script, with a fantasy-like setting that actually fulfills a lot of your criteria.
Though if you know anything about Romeo and Juliet, you can replace "a hint" to "a large serving" of romance and tragedy.
Thanks for taking the trouble and replying, everyone.
I read Pandora Hearts a few chapters, but I can't seem to like it for reasons unknown even to me. I stopped reading D-Gray Man a few months ago. As for RomeoxJuliet, I have watched the anime.
I will check out other suggestions. Please keep them coming and thanks again :)
How about you give Immortal Rain a shot. I'm sure it'll meet the requirements that you're asking for.
There is also Rain manga which is adaptation of a LN which seems to fit you taste.
black butler (I think it's really good it's supernatural with some comedy, their are some sad parts too)
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.