AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Total Eclipse/Muv-Luv (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Total Eclipse - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=114378)

Klashikari 2012-08-26 13:31

Total Eclipse - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll
 
Welcome to the discussion thread for Total Eclipse, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Information from the Muv-Luv games must not be posted in this thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Sheba 2012-08-26 13:37

For me, it's by no means, the best episode of the series, it's held down by obvious production issues. However, the characterization, especially from the Argos test flight characters, have thrown me back to Alternative VN where another tight-knit clique have been able to make light of otherwise very tight situations. And Yui's tears in the end are quite telling, her test pilot made it back alive and her weapon is a success.

Raxnom 2012-08-26 13:51

Really nice episode. It was good to see the weapon in action.You can say that Yuuya wiped the floor with BETA(well ground actually).Scene at the end was pretty nice touch.

kaizerknight01 2012-08-26 13:56

The EM cannon scene was the saver in this episode ( It the tribute to BFG and DAKADAKA weaponry ) Its great weapon A Sheba stated what weighing down are the budget issues, the Argos team chat reminds me of part of Alternative VN

and about Cryska 180 change
Spoiler for .......:

Miraluka 2012-08-26 14:07

Finally Beta god the spotlight, such a cool characters :heh:.


Oh, Cryska and Inia, it seems berserker mode got triggered :uhoh:.

ookamigirl 2012-08-26 14:28

It's time to do the co-ops with the Russians.
Yuuya was worried about it. No wonder considering he's got mecha problems.
Also, he just can't stay away from Cryska & Inia..
This time the fight was for real, no training.
For Yuuya it meant lots of sweating and a certain amount of panic.
Seems like he's better suited for a long range fighting.

Tenchi Ryu 2012-08-26 14:42

Seriously got some dumbasses in this army. Ready to sacrifice people when you could have swallowed your pride and let Yuuya do that in the first damn place to save a lot more people....

SMH

Anyway, damn good episode, Yuuya is a little closer to getting in Yui's bed. Cryska is gonna be a tough nut to crack though. And for that Jacob guy who got killed, Karma is a bitch homey.

Rayrah 2012-08-26 14:45

Oh, hey look, we got a glimpse of QUALITY! there for a few seconds.. amidst all those stills and poorly rendered BETA.. Ah, I guess it was worth it to see the railgun extirpate that wave/company of BETA. Man, that cloud of blood was really something..

Quality and production issues aside, it was a pretty good episode, and one that I quite enjoyed watching.

Cryska's and Inia's sudden change in their personalities on the battle field reeks of hypnosis or something akin to that. Well, that or they enjoy killing BETA so much that they actually smile whilst doing so. Either way, their performance with the Su-37 Terminator was awesome; I love how they cut up the BETA using that TSF's chainsaws..

Eh, I can't quite say that I'm sad to see Jacob get NOMM'D.. but I'm a little glad it stopped there. Just deserts, and all that. I doubt that'll stop them from being brats, though. I'd just feel bad for Latrova if she lost any more eishi. It certainly was nice to see her defrost by the end of this battle.

Mhm, the commander of the Chinese Bao Feng Flight is such a cutie; I hope this isn't the last we see of her..

And aww, Yui's so cute when she's blushing and/or crying..

Keroko 2012-08-26 15:01

Dear Satelight.

Railguns do not work that way.

Well, that bit of headdesking out of the way, this episode had some good and bad bits. On the bright side, the Yuuya/Yui development finally took some logical and proper steps that were quite entertaining to watch, and it's always good fun to see some BETA battles. Dem Scarlet Twins be quite psycho there.

On the dark side though... the underlying plot during the battle is really stressing believability. Trying to sabotage the testing of a weapon in a losing war for humanity's survival? Really? I can somewhat understand the hatred the front-line pilots have, but that's just pure bottled idiocy.

FlareKnight 2012-08-26 15:28

Well finally they got a weapon that can do some damage. Picking up the lesson that when in doubt all you need is a bigger gun :). If the enemy is just going to zerg rush you might as well play it simple as well.

No problem with some of those brats getting owned. No issue with at least some of them getting saved.

In terms of the issues behind the scenes....well if there is anything we know for sure it's that humanity is full of idiots. People stupid enough to think they can manage when it counts and can't let themselves look inferior to others.

Rayrah 2012-08-26 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 4322215)
On the dark side though... the underlying plot during the battle is really stressing believability. Trying to sabotage the testing of a weapon in a losing war for humanity's survival? Really?

How so? Humans are just being humans; they'll plot, they'll conspire, they'll backstab, and they'll sabotage if there's something to gain. I'm sure that even in a world wherein humanity is on the brink of defeat that politics and politicians still exist. Of course, it's stupid, it's wrong, and it's a little infuriating that some commanders or whatever are willing to let some of their elite eishi die so that one country doesn't gain the upper hand by developing some super weapon capable of more than just pushing back the BETA.

starkk 2012-08-26 16:04

Hi thar

I'm interested in the preview at the end of this episode, mainly in this "So Lt. Takamura insists on not letting Ensign Bridges fight?"

My guess is that Yui already fell in deep love with Yuuya, because of that and her trauma after losing her friends she simply won't let him on dangerous operations, hiding her love behind the argument that Bridges is too valuable of an test pilot to lose on the battlefield which will lead to new conflicts between them.

Haven't read the novel so I don't really know, also one cannot post anything besides what happened in episode 9 in this thread :/

Keroko 2012-08-26 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4322264)
How so? Humans are just being humans; they'll plot, they'll conspire, they'll backstab, and they'll sabotage if there's something to gain. I'm sure that even in a world wherein humanity is on the brink of defeat that politics and politicians still exist. Of course, it's stupid, it's wrong, and it's a little infuriating that some commanders or whatever are willing to let some of their elite eishi die so that one country doesn't gain the upper hand by developing some super weapon capable of more than just pushing back the BETA.

Yes, humans will plot, conspire, backstab and sabotage if there's something to gain. But the only thing to be gained here is death at the hands of BETA.

That's what really gets me. If this had been some form of competition in the arms race where the opposing side wants to make the railgun look sub-par because they've got their own design, I could somewhat understand it. But even then only if the opposition truly believed their weapon was better, and even then methods that are far more believable, because even competition doesn't get to the point where companies waste billions of dollars worth of equipment and send dozens, if not hundreds of people to their deaths.

Right now, all we're seeing is "dohoho I shall send people to their deaths for no good reason." Which is rather daft.

Bombo 2012-08-26 16:38

Man~~ the tears in the end so touched..And not bad for fighting with beta but the canon railgun is over 9000 .

starkk 2012-08-26 16:49

Looks like someone is getting laid tonight :P

Spectacular_Insanity 2012-08-26 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 4322215)
Dear Satelight.

Railguns do not work that way.

And you just killed a catgirl. Think of the catgirls! (Although yes, you are correct. Railguns also would need to be longer and have a larger powersource to get that kind of acceleration.)

But seriously, I had my doubts when I picked up this series. "Oh God, yet another mecha anime," was what I thought. I see a lot of similarities to Blue Gender people were making a lot on the 'net, but I have to say that this series was still surprisingly good to me.

If nothing else, I'm going to keep looking forward to the next episode.

Silvance 2012-08-26 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4322204)
Oh, hey look, we got a glimpse of QUALITY! there for a few seconds.. amidst all those stills and poorly rendered BETA.. Ah, I guess it was worth it to see the railgun extirpate that wave/company of BETA. Man, that cloud of blood was really something..

Quality and production issues aside, it was a pretty good episode, and one that I quite enjoyed watching.

Cryska's and Inia's sudden change in their personalities on the battle field reeks of hypnosis or something akin to that. Well, that or they enjoy killing BETA so much that they actually smile whilst doing so. Either way, their performance with the Su-37 Terminator was awesome; I love how they cut up the BETA using that TSF's chainsaws..

Eh, I can't quite say that I'm sad to see Jacob get NOMM'D.. but I'm a little glad it stopped there. Just deserts, and all that. I doubt that'll stop them from being brats, though. I'd just feel bad for Latrova if she lost any more eishi. It certainly was nice to see her defrost by the end of this battle.

Mhm, the commander of the Chinese Bao Feng Flight is such a cutie; I hope this isn't the last we see of her..

And aww, Yui's so cute when she's blushing and/or crying..

I agree. It was awful in several scenes.

http://i.imgur.com/lsr2hl.gif

The worst part is the still images especially the one where the BETA were engaging the Zhuravliks. It felt like I was looking at A3 figures akin to the ones in TSFIA and other novels. It'd be great if the BD version will not be the same.
The scene with the Su-37UB Terminator was quite a spectacle sight indeed. It was neat to see the unit using its chainsaw blades to dispatch its foes. The sad part is that we didn't get to see Latrova and her Terminator fight the BETA at all.

Haha. I agree. The character is pretty cute. I wonder what her name is~ I'd love to see her again~

As for the conspiracy to sabotage the test involving the railgun, I really hope it's only about the arms race between nations.

Destined_Fate 2012-08-26 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 4322215)
Dear Satelight.

Railguns do not work that way.

Well, that bit of headdesking out of the way, this episode had some good and bad bits. On the bright side, the Yuuya/Yui development finally took some logical and proper steps that were quite entertaining to watch, and it's always good fun to see some BETA battles. Dem Scarlet Twins be quite psycho there.

On the dark side though... the underlying plot during the battle is really stressing believability. Trying to sabotage the testing of a weapon in a losing war for humanity's survival? Really? I can somewhat understand the hatred the front-line pilots have, but that's just pure bottled idiocy.

Humanity has done a lot of stupid things. Like take for example Nuclear Reactors in real life. Because of accidents research on making better reactors came to a screeching halt and because of our shortsightedness innovation and making reactors less wasteful and safer has been stalled for years. Heck, we "have" the the technology now but it isn't used because so many fear Nuclear Power and anything involve with it, even if its for the best, is immediatly voted down despite the science backing up the new technology.

Thus we're forced to use outdated reactors since no one has the will of the desire to challenge the overwhelming hate and dread that accompanies anything Nuclear during talks. Which in turn makes things less safe for everyone, is wasteful, and eventualy will lead to more disasters which will in turn makes it even harder to make Nuclear Reactors better. Pretty much a hopeless situation.

Or how humanity cuts down all the trees near the ocean front than they start panicking when the sand doesn't stay in place. Thus we end up spending billions all over the world transporting new sand that will eventually be lost, a neverending investment that must be done.


So I can see why the thougt of sabotage or the such would cross the minds of those in the Muv-Luv universe since National Pride and resentment is ample.

Triple_R 2012-08-26 17:48

Now that's more like it. This is the Muv-Luv Episode I've wanted since Episode 2.

It wasn't flawless - It had some QUALITY moments, some elements of the plot were eyebrow-raising, and the BETA maybe should have caused a bit more damage - but it was still very good. Best episode of this anime since Episode 2, imo.

This episode was pretty intense and very well-paced. The BGM really added to the overall mood here. And it's genuinely good to see Yuuya and Yui start to grow closer together, and develop more open professional respect and fondness for each other.

This was also one of the episodes were the main supporting cast came across as a bit more believable - Chobi's tsundere-ness was kept down to believable levels, and the rest of the Argos team at least came across as somewhat professional. It's good to see that these guys can back up their talk with decisive action.

Keroko 2012-08-26 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity (Post 4322364)
And you just killed a catgirl. Think of the catgirls! (Although yes, you are correct. Railguns also would need to be longer and have a larger powersource to get that kind of acceleration.)

It's not even about the physics, but the simpleness of a railgun being a projectile weapon, not a beam weapon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destined_Fate (Post 4322416)
Humanity has done a lot of stupid things. Like take for example Nuclear Reactors in real life. Because of accidents research on making better reactors came to a screeching halt and because of our shortsightedness innovation and making reactors less wasteful and safer has been stalled for years. Heck, we "have" the the technology now but it isn't used because so many fear Nuclear Power and anything involve with it, even if its for the best, is immediatly voted down despite the science backing up the new technology.

Thus we're forced to use outdated reactors since no one has the will of the desire to challenge the overwhelming hate and dread that accompanies anything Nuclear during talks. Which in turn makes things less safe for everyone, is wasteful, and eventualy will lead to more disasters which will in turn makes it even harder to make Nuclear Reactors better. Pretty much a hopeless situation.

Or how humanity cuts down all the trees near the ocean front than they start panicking when the sand doesn't stay in place. Thus we end up spending billions all over the world transporting new sand that will eventually be lost, a neverending investment that must be done.

So I can see why the thougt of sabotage or the such would cross the minds of those in the Muv-Luv universe since National Pride and resentment is ample.

The difference between those events and this is that people actually gained something from those, even if in the short term. Nuclear reactors, while despised, still continue to bring power to many cities. And while modern development may be roadblocked due to public fear, many alternatives are still being researched in favor of it. The cut-down forests yield resources that are used in all manner of constructions and productions.

What would people gain from crashing this experiment? Short term results: Billions in terms of damage costs, valuable material lost and dozens if not hundreds of dead personnel. All three of which already are in short supply. Long term results: The loss of a potential weapon against the BETA means the BETA can continue their slow push.

Seriously, there is no reason whatsoever for this sabotage to make sense. Pride doesn't make sense either. Aside from it just being stupid, historically humanity has always swallowed it's pride if survival was at stake.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.