AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ubisoft Abandons Draconian PC DRM (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=114553)

LoweGear 2012-09-05 04:02

Ubisoft Abandons Draconian PC DRM
 
Ubisoft Gives Up On Its Stupid PC DRM

Ubisoft, I may have hope for you yet.

xBakaChanx 2012-09-10 22:37

The public had spoken, and ubisoft had sunk down *smirk*

Tokkan 2012-09-10 22:50

I still won't forgive them for claiming 95% of PC gamers are pirates.

I mean, it's not that hard to pirate Wii, Xbox 360 and Android games, you can't claim piracy is a purely PC problem or that nearly every PC gamer is a pirate.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2012-09-10 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 4336633)
Ubisoft Gives Up On Its Stupid PC DRM

Ubisoft, I may have hope for you yet.

No need to thank them. They refuse to admit their policies were wrong, but insist they only changed because customers complained. They also insist that their numbers on lost sales through piracy is accurate, but that they will never release their statistics because it might benefit their competitors.

In short, they are crazy greedy and stupid men who only relented when their customers were leaving them in droves. I will congratulate them if and when they admit the errors of their ways, and not before.

xBakaChanx 2012-09-10 23:22

@Tokkan ya ^ I agree with that == if 95% of PC gamers are pirates then how are you still making money....there would be no one buying your games ==

AnimeFangirl 2012-09-11 17:41

It hurts to admit their little plan didn't work, huh? I mean, if the policies were actually working and boosting sales like Ubisoft claims in this interview (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...acy-interview/) they would have no reason to back down no matter what the public says.

Benoit 2012-09-13 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokkan (Post 4346399)
I still won't forgive them for claiming 95% of PC gamers are pirates.

I mean, it's not that hard to pirate Wii, Xbox 360 and Android games, you can't claim piracy is a purely PC problem or that nearly every PC gamer is a pirate.

It is, however, easier to do on the PC.

Tokkan 2012-09-13 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoit (Post 4349975)
It is, however, easier to do on the PC.

... :confused: WTF? Of course it's easier on PC, never said otherwise. Though even then, it's only marginally easier because PC just doesn't have the extra step of having the mod/jailbreak your system, which is still pretty damn easy anyways. Why did you feel the need to bring that up?

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2012-09-13 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoit (Post 4349975)
It is, however, easier to do on the PC.

Easier than playing the real game, at least. Anyone who buy a game with Draconian DRM is a masochist.

Benoit 2012-09-15 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokkan (Post 4349982)
... :confused: WTF? Of course it's easier on PC, never said otherwise. Though even then, it's only marginally easier because PC just doesn't have the extra step of having the mod/jailbreak your system, which is still pretty damn easy anyways. Why did you feel the need to bring that up?

Because you shouldn't underestimate the hoops you have to jump through to be able to pirate PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Those hoops are enough to discourage many casual pirates. Meanwhile on the PC you just download a cracked game and you're ready to go.

Tokkan 2012-09-15 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoit (Post 4353682)
Because you shouldn't underestimate the hoops you have to jump through to be able to pirate PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Those hoops are enough to discourage many casual pirates. Meanwhile on the PC you just download a cracked game and you're ready to go.

All it takes to pirate 360 games is to buy a modded 360 off eBay and burn ISOs to DVDs. "Hoops to jump through" my ass. Not saying you should do that, though. You shouldn't.

Meanwhile, on PC, games that use Steamworks (including ALL Valve games) require you use a Steam emulator to run if you pirate them, which can often be crippling in terms of performance.

Mars Mode 2012-09-15 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoit (Post 4353682)
Because you shouldn't underestimate the hoops you have to jump through to be able to pirate PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Those hoops are enough to discourage many casual pirates. Meanwhile on the PC you just download a cracked game and you're ready to go.

You do understand that there are places where the bandwidth alone is sufficient to discorauge most people, so they go out buy a disk and just play it. And buying a console already prepared to run pirate games is most acceptable to most people, than playing in a PC and have to wait to install some games.

Depending in which country you live it depends in the most used method.

Destined_Fate 2012-09-16 09:42

I don't approve of piracy but I understand that in some countries it's the only real option for some gamers so I don't judge them. Just looking at the price of somethings there compared to the West is horrifying.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2012-09-16 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destined_Fate (Post 4355094)
I don't approve of piracy but I understand that in some countries it's the only real option for some gamers so I don't judge them. Just looking at the price of somethings there compared to the West is horrifying.

That's really not the problem. The problem is that the DRM creates an inferior product. And as such anyone who pay money to play a worse game is a fool.

Game companies should be punished for not making the best product they can. Always online, issues with activation and spyware are not what paying custermers deserve, and any studio who does it deserve to go broke.

Imagine if every new car need a constant wireless internet connection to activate the engine, and if the internet cuts off mid-drive the car shuts down. That's the kind of horrible product they are trying to ask people to pay for. (And then you are told that you can't sell your car to anyone else because it won't work for them; it would cut into their profits to let 2nd hand car markets exist.)

Game companies don't deserve money. They need to EARN it.

Destined_Fate 2012-09-16 09:58

Well there's that I suppose. The Ubisoft DRM was just screwed up. I bought the game and when I learned what it was really doing I was furious and had to use a crack so that I could play it offline. After that I swore off Ubisoft until they got rid of it.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2012-09-16 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destined_Fate (Post 4355126)
Well there's that I suppose. The Ubisoft DRM was just screwed up. I bought the game and when I learned what it was really doing I was furious and had to use a crack so that I could play it offline. After that I swore off Ubisoft until they got rid of it.

The problem now is that they seem to have decided to abandon the traditional markets all together and went for F2P online games with micro transactions. I think they DO believe that if they made piracy impossible, that they would be rich. They didn't realise that they are simply abandoning the market and went somewhere else.

There might never be another Assassin's Creed, for example.

Destined_Fate 2012-09-16 10:16

There will be another but on PC seems less likely.... They don't seem to understand why a game like Amnesia, with no real DRM, seems to be doing well enough. The creators don't seem all that concerned with the piracy and figured those customers wouldn't have bought the game anyway.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.