AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Chkdsk trouble (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=114602)

DonQuigleone 2012-09-07 03:59

Chkdsk trouble
 
So my laptop has been telling me to run Chkdsk for a while now. I schedule the task to take place (I've used both the windows interface and the command prompt), but every time I restart my machine windows loads normally and I don't get any signs of chkdsk running. How can I get chkdsk to run properly?

A few details: I'm running Windows Vista. I also have a dual boot system using GRUB, the other OS being Ubuntu 9.04. I don't know whether or not that could be interfering with chkdsk running.

I'm happy to furnish any other details you guys find relevant.

sa547 2012-09-07 06:54

Have you tried a boot up the system from the CD drive using the Windows installation disc? That'll allow you to run CHKDSK from there (assuming that the hard drive either uses FAT32 or NTFS).

NoemiChan 2012-09-07 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 4339632)
So my laptop has been telling me to run Chkdsk for a while now. I schedule the task to take place (I've used both the windows interface and the command prompt), but every time I restart my machine windows loads normally and I don't get any signs of chkdsk running. How can I get chkdsk to run properly?

I have the same problem with my netbook.

Yes, there was an option where we could assign a schedule to do CHKDSK but it still random does the work...

So I use Iorbit's Disk Check to do the extra checking for disk errors when i want it... its free. And it lots of features.. especially my favorite the Disk Defrag...

DonQuigleone 2012-09-07 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa547 (Post 4339798)
Have you tried a boot up the system from the CD drive using the Windows installation disc? That'll allow you to run CHKDSK from there (assuming that the hard drive either uses FAT32 or NTFS).

If I once had the windows install disk I've long since lost it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4339809)
I have the same problem with my netbook.

Yes, there was an option where we could assign a schedule to do CHKDSK but it still random does the work...

So I use Iorbit's Disk Check to do the extra checking for disk errors when i want it... its free. And it lots of features.. especially my favorite the Disk Defrag...

Might give that a go.

SeijiSensei 2012-09-07 10:15

I have not looked in a while, but isn't it possible to run chkdsk from the prompt if you boot into Safe Mode? You might check to see whether your Windows installation comes with a utility to burn a replacement disk, too.

It's pretty unlikely your Ubuntu installation affects this at all. Since you have Ubuntu though, you could see if you have the ntfsprogs package installed and use ntfsfix on the Windows partition. Ntfsfix will clean up the stuff it can handle, then mark the partition to tell Windows to run chkdsk against it when you next boot.

9.04 is pretty old. Since it was not a release with "long-term support," it reached end-of-life in October, 2010. Nevertheless there is still an available copy of ntfsprogs that is packaged for 9.04 here. You can download the package from that page (choose the one that matches your architecture), then install it from the command prompt with "sudo dpkg -i ntfsprogs-blahblah.deb". "Blahblah" in your case will probably be "2.0.0-1ubuntu2".

If I were you, I'd get a copy of Kubuntu 12.04.1, the current "long-term" support version and install that. It will be supported until 2017. Kubuntu will look more familiar than the current vanilla Ubuntu releases which use the new "Unity" desktop environment. Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop which has been my favorite for years.

DonQuigleone 2012-09-07 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 4340051)
I have looked in a while, but isn't it possible to run chkdsk from the prompt if you boot into Safe Mode?

It's pretty unlikely your Ubuntu installation affects this at all. Since you have that installation, though you could see if you have the ntfsprogs package installed and use ntfsfix on the Windows partition.

9.04 is pretty old though. It reached end-of-life in October, 2010, but there is still an available copy of ntfsprogs that is packaged for 9.04 here. You can download the packages from that page, then install it from the command prompt with "sudo dpkg -i ntfsprogs-blahblah.deb". "Blahblah" in your case will probably be "2.0.0-1ubuntu2".

If I were you, I'd get a copy of Kubuntu 12.04.1, the current "long-term" support version and install that. It will be supported until 2017. Kubuntu will look more familiar than the current vanilla Ubuntu releases which use the "Unity" desktop environment. It uses the KDE desktop which has been my favorite for years.

I haven't been using my Ubuntu installation for a long time, which is why it hasn't been upgraded. I'm open to upgrading my linux installation, but I have a feeling I should deal with my HDD problems first (I'd want to change my partitions around a bit).

But just to confirm, will using ntfsfix in Ubuntu mean I won't need to run chkdsk? In that case that seems like a good solution.

I did try running chkdsk from the command prompt in Safe Mode, but I still got a message telling me I needed to restart my computer. With the same result.

SeijiSensei 2012-09-07 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 4340075)
But just to confirm, will using ntfsfix in Ubuntu mean I won't need to run chkdsk? In that case that seems like a good solution.

I updated my post while you were replying. Ntfsfix will do what it can to clean up the NTFS partition, then mark it so Windows will run chkdsk against it when you next reboot.

Still I'm surprised Windows is still complaining after you ran chkdsk from Safe Mode. I believe you need to include the "/f" switch to make it "fix" whatever problems it finds. If you don't do that, it will just check the disk but not actually fix any problems it finds. Fixing a mounted filesystem is always a bit tricky. I only ever do things like that when I've booted from a CD or USB drive. But I recall running "chkdsk /f c:" back in the day and it didn't seem to break anything.

DonQuigleone 2012-09-07 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 4340087)
I updated my post while you were replying. Ntfsfix will do what it can to clean up the NTFS partition, then mark it so Windows will run chkdsk against it when you next reboot.

Still I'm surprised Windows is still complaining after you ran chkdsk from Safe Mode. I believe you need to include the "/f" switch to make it "fix" whatever problems it finds. If you don't do that, it will just check the disk but not actually fix any problems it finds. Fixing a mounted filesystem is always a bit tricky. I only ever do things like that when I've booted from a CD or USB drive. But I recall running "chkdsk /f c:" back in the day and it didn't seem to break anything.

I ran "chkdsk C: /x" (and also /f and /f /x)while I was in safemode. It still asked for a restart, after which nothing happened (no chkdsk ran).

It's not that chkdsk is throwing back errors at me. It's simply not running period. I don't get any of the usual messages you'd expect chkdsk to give. I'm just getting normal startups.

NoemiChan 2012-09-07 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 4340075)

I did try running chkdsk from the command prompt in Safe Mode, but I still got a message telling me I needed to restart my computer. With the same result.

Interesting.. I encountered this option a lot but never chosen it and goes for the normal mode.. Now I know!!!!

Random32 2012-09-07 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 4340034)
If I once had the windows install disk I've long since lost it.

You can create a repair disk from Windows.
-Windows 7 has the feature built in, Start>"Backup and Restore" (search)>Create System Repair Disk (left panel). If someone you know has a Win7 machine, that repair disk should work for your purposes.
-Vista does not have the feature built in as far as I know. They were going to add it in SP1, but didn't, idk if SP2 added it. So, try this http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...very-disc.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.