AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Shows that I may have missed (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116228)

Last Sinner 2012-11-14 12:46

Shows that I may have missed
 
Been watching a mix of older and newer shows lately and compiled a list of things that I shall watch when I have time. But no matter how many people you speak to or lists/databases you look up on, something usually slips through somehow.

MAL list of what I've watched and plan to watch. Anything 8 or higher on that list is a good indicator of something I like.

So if anyone could recommend me anything based on that and the following criteria, that would be great.

- Prefer writing/content/characters over style and visuals

- Females that are strong overall

(examples - C.C. from Code Geass, Nina Fortner from Monster, Lafiel from Crest of the Stars, Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road, Lina Inverse from Slayers, Kurisu from Steins;Gate, Kyou from Clannad, Maetel from Galaxy Express 999, Fave Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, Tamaki from Bamboo Blade, Haruka from Minami-ke, Horo from Spice and Wolf, Ryougi Shiki of Garden of Sinners)

- Males that aren't the cookie cutter types of generic bishie boy, emo kid, undeserving of love/harem or most pointless protagonist ever. And are actually somewhat manly but not to an Ishkandar degree.
(examples - Akiyama from Liar Game manga/live action, Tokuchi from One Outs, Tenma from Monster, Mugen from Samurai Champloo, Lelouch from Code Geass, Kaiji from Kaiji, Okita from Yamato, Alex Rowe from Last Exile, Jet from Cowboy Bebop)

- Types of writers I like are Nasu of the Type-Moon franchise and Morioka of the Crest/Banner of the Stars novels

- Timeframe of 1968-near present

- Preferably nothing from 2009, 2011 or 2012. Tried close to all of them and forgotten so many that I dropped.

- Nothing involving Shinbo, Urobuchi, Anno, Yakaman or Okada.

- If you need to get a feel of the titles that gave me the zest for anime, Last Exile was the clinch in my early anime days. It was so utterly different and had the type of characters and world I wanted to see. Still gives me chills today. (Pity about that sequel series...) Code Geass gave me the spark back when I'd grown a bit jaded with the medium. Aria, Marimite, Mushishi and Asatte no Houkou would be series I'd consider soul food. Crest of the Stars is the type of dialogue I love. Garden of Sinners is a rare case of me being in love with visuals as well as the content. Monster is that one time where I was utterly fulfilled and thought that this was as good as it could be and I doubt I'd ever see anything better.


Thanks in advance.

Tempester 2012-11-14 15:45

Greetings, friend!

Key the Metal Idol
This is one of those strange and more mysterious anime in the vein on Serial Experiments Lain and Neon Genesis Evangelion, only the plot is explained in detail for the most part later on, which I found to be amazing. Has a very powerful conclusion.

Macross
Yeah, yeah. I know you've already watched Do You Remember Love. However, I consider the original TV series to be the definitive version of the Macross story. The animation is fairly bad, but the story is much more thrilling and fleshed out than in the beautiful but unsubstantial movie, and the characters (especially the Zentradi) are more interesting.

Hotarubi no Mori e
If you like Natsume Yuujinchou, you'll like this. It's a wonderful short story.

Perfect Blue
An awesome thriller. Takes a dump on the horrifically obsessive fan culture of the idol industry.

Brigadoon
I actually have no idea if you'll like this or not. I added it because it is one of my most favorite anime ever and I love the way it juxtaposes its silly comedy and its heartrending melodrama. It is certainly unique, though.

From the New World
I know you didn't request recent anime, but I mentioned this to you a while back. Seven episodes in, I think it holds up well. This anime is very plot-oriented and has nothing in it that's cute for the sake of being cute.

SeijiSensei 2012-11-14 17:25

When I didn't see Balsa from Seirei no Moribito in your list of strong females, I began to wonder if you have seen it. Then I checked MAL and, as far as I can tell, it's not on your list.

Now I have some qualms about this recommendation seeing as you gave Twelve Kingdoms only a five. I don't see Saiunkoku Monogatari or Kemono no Sou-ja Erin there either, which would be a couple of other reference points. All these shows concern fantasy Asian empires. If your distaste for Junni Kokki was the setting, you probably won't like these shows either. If you are looking for a strong heroine, though, no one beats Balsa. Her twelve-year-old charge is an impressive young man, too.

NinjaRealist 2012-11-14 19:37

Considering that you gave Mononoke Hime a 3 I'm hesitant to recommend anything to you, because that score makes it impossible for me to get a handle on your tastes.

Anyways I'll just recommend the works of Mohiro Kitoh, those being Bokurano and Narutaru. But if you dislike tragedy you will guaranteed hate these.

I'll also reccomend Now and Then, Here and There but this one is also tragic.

EDIT

I have had some more time to think and I still am trying to figure out in my head why you might have hated Mononoke Hime so much.

Please offer your thoughts if you care to.

SeijiSensei 2012-11-14 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaRealist (Post 4438811)
I have had some more time to think and I still am trying to figure out in my head why you might have hated Mononoke Hime so much.

Please offer your thoughts if you care to.

I'm curious, too, along with your opinion of Dennou Coil which you also scored a three. I started watching anime after my daughter brought home the Mononoke Hime DVD she had borrowed from a friend. That was in 2005 or so; I'm still watching anime today.

Last Sinner 2012-11-15 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 4438683)
When I didn't see Balsa from Seirei no Moribito in your list of strong females, I began to wonder if you have seen it. Then I checked MAL and, as far as I can tell, it's not on your list.

Now I have some qualms about this recommendation seeing as you gave Twelve Kingdoms only a five. I don't see Saiunkoku Monogatari or Kemono no Sou-ja Erin there either, which would be a couple of other reference points. All these shows concern fantasy Asian empires. If your distaste for Junni Kokki was the setting, you probably won't like these shows either. If you are looking for a strong heroine, though, no one beats Balsa. Her twelve-year-old charge is an impressive young man, too.

Saiunkoku Monogatari and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin were both already on my 'Plan To Watch' section of that list. But that is definitely in the vein of titles higher up the pecking order of what I'm intent on watching.

12 Kingdoms/Junni Kokki - Yoko wasn't the issue. In fact, Yoko was one of the few things I enjoyed about it. I was very frustrated by the show early and it took until the teens in episode numbers for me to overall enjoy it. After that, I didn't like where the show went or the other major characters in that show.

Moribito...I tried it once and...I was underwhelmed. Quite underwhelmed. Nothing resonated with me at all. I guess I didn't list it since I figured maybe I didn't watch it at the right time. I might give it one more shot.


Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaRealist (Post 4438811)
Considering that you gave Mononoke Hime a 3 I'm hesitant to recommend anything to you, because that score makes it impossible for me to get a handle on your tastes.

I guess most people will haves with at least one Miyazaki film. For me it was Princess Mononoke. My main issue with this one is that I honestly feel Miyazaki was sidetracked by themes and forgot the story. The male lead has a family and village he loves - really loves. So he goes off and comes across Mononoke and the wolves. Things happen and then at the end, after all is said and done - despite what Mononoke tells the guy, he simply forgets about everything he once had and chooses to stay around a person in a situation that is futile and a bond that simply doesn't exist. As for the nature wrecker theme - Miyazaki did it better in Nausicaa.


Quote:

I'll also reccomend Now and Then, Here and There but this one is also tragic.
Heh, it was actually on the Watched list as Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku. But good call, it's in my personal top 10 titles. Tragedy/darkness isn't an issue for me - as long as it's not Urobuchi styles...


Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 4438961)
I'm curious, too, along with your opinion of Dennou Coil which you also scored a three. I started watching anime after my daughter brought home the Mononoke Hime DVD she had borrowed from a friend. That was in 2005 or so; I'm still watching anime today.

Well if those are what personally resonate with you, I can understand your confusion.


I generally don't like kids - at all. And I really mean that. They remind me of the evil bastard my father was and still is along with the childhood I never had. That and my extended family being backstabbing/trouble-makers/greedy as heck have left me unable to believe in the notion of family at all. So yeah, watching Dennou Coil is just material I can't idenfity with or believe in because of the values it revolves around and its character types. Watching it just makes me want to watch Serial Experiments Lain instead. And I also generally think kids are not the little innocent do-gooders Miyazaki makes them out to be and more like ones from Lord of the Flies or Now And Then, Here And There.

That isn't to say all kids disgust me - that isn't true. There are a few I like - Rin from from Usagi Drop, Murasaki from Kurenai, Chihiro from Spirited Away, Yurie from Kamichu, age swapped Shouko from Asatte no Houkou, Shu from Now And Then, Here and There. But those type of kids are rare. If they're kids like the ones in Dennou Coil or Eureka Seven, I can't handle them.


As for titles that might give you an idea for what got me into anime, I added that in the OP.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempester (Post 4438581)
Perfect Blue
An awesome thriller. Takes a dump on the horrifically obsessive fan culture of the idol industry.

Why do I keep fogetting to watch this one? *bonk* Thank you...I love Kon films, don't know why I keep forgetting about this one.

Quote:

From the New World
I know you didn't request recent anime, but I mentioned this to you a while back. Seven episodes in, I think it holds up well. This anime is very plot-oriented and has nothing in it that's cute for the sake of being cute.
I did try this one...and after three episodes I dropped it. I had high hopes for this one, actually. But I couldn't find anything to be intrigued or impressed with. It also reminded me of Dennou Coil - and as aforementioned, not a good thing.

NinjaRealist 2012-11-15 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last Sinner (Post 4439075)
Heh, it was actually on the Watched list as Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku. But good call, it's in my personal top 10 titles. Tragedy/darkness isn't an issue for me - as long as it's not Urobuchi styles...


Well then based on this and the other things you've said, I think you should definitely give Bokurano and Narutaru a try.

I actually like Urobuchi myself but I can also say that Mohiro Kitoh has a very different style of tragedy from him.

Whereas Urobuchi characters seem more black and white and more like abstract personifications of concepts than people (often) Kitoh's characters are exactly the opposite. Rather than being black and white, Kitoh's character are all shades of gray and, partially for this reason, come across as very believable. Whereas Urobuchi's work could be described as romantic, even if it is tragic, Kitoh's work is, quite oppositely, incredibly cynical and a lot of his tragedy comes from his, in my opinion, very realistic portrayal of the cruelty and insensitivity with which we often treat our fellow man.

I will warn you that both of his works are about kids, but it seemed like you were saying that the idealistic portrayal of children in anime was what turned you off, not the kids themselves. In this case you have nothing to worry about. The way Kitoh portrays children is extremely cynical. They bully each other, they're mean to each other, they fail to understand each others feelings and they kill, sometimes without a trace of guilt. By the end of the show they barely feel like kids anymore.

So if you can handle heavy, dialogue driven, tragedy, which it sounds like you are very much a fan of if done right, then I really recommend you give these a try.

Bokurano is my personal favorite anime TV series. Both are a slow start but the pace is incredible once they get going.

totoum 2012-11-15 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last Sinner (Post 4439075)
Why do I keep fogetting to watch this one? *bonk* Thank you...I love Kon films, don't know why I keep forgetting about this one.

Millennium Actress also seems to be missing from your list.

Looking at your plan to watch list what stands out to me is Space Pirate Captain Harlock since you liked Galaxy Express 999 and the hero seems to fit the kind of male lead you're looking for

Last Sinner 2012-11-15 04:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by totoum (Post 4439196)
Millennium Actress also seems to be missing from your list.

Seen it, quite liked it. Harlock was already on the to watch list.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.