AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Host (spring 2013) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116232)

james0246 2012-11-14 15:52

The Host (spring 2013)

Brief description:

Quote:

A parasitic alien soul is injected into the body of Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan). Instead of carrying out her race's mission of taking over the Earth, "Wanda" (as she comes to be called) forms a bond with her host and sets out to aid other free humans.
While I am not a huge fan of the book (it is significantly better than the Twilight series, but that is not saying much), the idea is still interesting and should translate well the film. Additionally, anything with Saoirse Ronan is worth a look. Also, screenwriter and director Andrew Niccol (best known as the writer for The Truman Show and The Terminal as well as the writer and director for Gattaca) could be a very interesting choice, even if it has been a few years since he last wrote a decent film (the original choice for director, Susanna White, would have been more interesting).

LeoXiao 2012-11-14 16:22

Wasn't the Host a Korean movie? People should look up titles to see if they are already used first before approving them. All else aside, this could be a good film if done right.

james0246 2012-11-14 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoXiao (Post 4438619)
Wasn't the Host a Korean movie? People should look up titles to see if they are already used first before approving them.

Technically, the title of Bong Joon-ho's film was Goemul translated as "Monster".

Alchemist007 2012-11-14 23:53

Also read the book, it was a tad drawn out for what actually happens. Pretty dreary for a lot of it but I guess the movie is bound to have a much faster pace. Book is also from 2008 and was a bit cliffhangery, and the author's reasoning for not writing more was kind of stupid. "I'm afraid characters will die."

Oh found this old interview

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-11-15 04:15

So, is it like Invasion of the Body Snatchers only with a good alien this time?:confused:

Kizoku Keenan 2012-11-15 13:08

so twilight with aliens instead of vamps....great...I wish there was some kind of sarcasm wrap tag I could put around that great.

Kafriel 2012-11-15 13:19

^ Not quite, but still...book gets dull and the story hangs all kinds of plot threads just to have a storm in a teacup moment. Maybe it's because I was expecting something...well, different, but it's a decent idea that got limited to only a fraction of what it could have become. The movie will definitely be a good start though, as what irked me the most was the slow pace of the book.

Vexx 2012-11-15 18:48

There's a ton of interesting sci-fi and fantasy concepts out there that have been done by very good authors over the last hundred years. I'm just finding it makes me twitch when someone writes a simplified version for the masses --> a big screen item.