AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Shin Sekai Yori (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 10 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116502)

monir 2012-11-30 02:44

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 10 Discussion / Poll
 
Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 10.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

NoemiChan 2012-11-30 06:12

*praying for a miracle....

deadsea 2012-11-30 10:51

omg my heart broke while watching this episode, beautiful

Kazu-kun 2012-11-30 12:10

Spoiler for until it gets subbed:

Anyway, 10/10. Best episode of the series.

mayumi 2012-11-30 12:23

^ Isn't that jumping the gun a bit? Are you watching only for a character?

Dr. Casey 2012-11-30 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 4456990)
Spoiler for until it gets subbed:

Anyway, 10/10. Best episode of the series.

lolwut

That's pretty abrupt... now I'm really curious what happens this episode. :p

Kazu-kun 2012-11-30 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayumi (Post 4456997)
^ Isn't that jumping the gun a bit? Are you watching only for a character?

That's not what I mean.
Spoiler:

Forsaken_Infinity 2012-11-30 12:46

Lol me. Open spoiler, close it right away, rinse and repeat. :heh:

Subs can't come fast enough.

Kaoru Chujo 2012-11-30 15:13

Episode director/storyboards by Yamauchi Shigeyasu, director of Casshern Sins and Yumekui Merry. Animation direction by Hayama Junichi, who has been an animator since 1984, when he was 19, and has been involved in shows like Transformers, Fist of the North Star, Casshern Sins, Toriko, and Penguin Drum. And it shows. Lots of praise for those two on 2channel. They also did ep5 (capture of Saki and Satoru).

As for the episode as a whole, a comment on 2channel said: "I unconsciously ended up weeping." To quote the episode: "I've always loved you." I thought so. Emotional devastation.

Klashikari 2012-11-30 15:46

I sure wished that there won't be any of Yamauchi/Hayama shenanigans for this series, because it seriously gets painful to follow with the abuse of zoomed pan and whatnot.
The color pallet and visual ambiant style are quite good, just like in episode 5, but the rest has a lot left to be desired, and the absolute persistent attempt to shoehorn characters emotions through those close ups lead to a complete opposite effect for me: it felt flat and arguably less subtle than what it could be.

Anyway, I can't say this episode particularly touched me whatsoever, due the cruel lack of character developments and interactions. Whereas SSY did a good job with the mood; the settings and characters interactions went deep down on the lackluster side, save Saki and to some extent, Satoru.
So the events in this episode felt... natural, as in: expected consequences of everything happening thus far, but it just couldn't stir any attachment whatsoever.

kuromitsu 2012-11-30 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 4457012)
That's not what I mean.
Spoiler:

Er, you do realize that you still have 10+ episodes to get to know the other characters better and grow to care about them, right? o_o) So you've read spoilers, cool I suppose, but unless you read the actual book (have you?) you don't actually know how they'll interact after this, how they'll get into the situations you read about, how they'll react to them, etc. (Also, I'd very much disagree that this was the emotional peak of the whole show...)

CJ_Walker 2012-11-30 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 4456990)
Spoiler for until it gets subbed:

Anyway, 10/10. Best episode of the series.

Spoiler for well not really a spoiler but just to be safe until it gets subbed/safe for those who have already watched the raw:


7/10 for me because. . .saki, I cant stand that ho.:p and what kashikari said. . .hit the nail right on the head.

Kaoru Chujo 2012-11-30 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klashikari (Post 4457164)
I sure wished that there won't be any of Yamauchi/Hayama shenanigans for this series, because it seriously gets painful to follow with the abuse of zoomed pan and whatnot. The color pallet and visual ambiant style are quite good, just like in episode 5, but the rest has a lot left to be desired, and the absolute persistent attempt to shoehorn characters emotions through those close ups lead to a complete opposite effect for me: it felt flat and arguably less subtle than what it could be....

I guess I can understand your reaction, but mine was exactly opposite. I just watched the show for a second time, with subs this time, and my chest is tight with pain. No "abuse," no "shoehorn," just Art.

Than again, I found Casshern Sins of little interest -- except for the animation. And I love it when Shinbou goes all Shinbou and the critics rage. How do you feel about Shinbou, whom others criticize in similar terms?

DemonOfWrath 2012-11-30 20:04

Definitely agreeing with Klashikari on the directing on this episode, turned out to be way less emotional than it should've been because of how abrupt the direction of the episode was. The death of the dog had absolutely no impact due to being a mess of wierd, horribly animated movements and still shots, for example. I had no clue at all what was going on for the first 5 minutes or so as well, can't stress how awful I find it.

I will say however that the colour palette and visual effects did seem appropriate for this episode, everything was clearly supposed to be rather trippy, it's just everything else just doesn't work imo.

Other than that, I really do like that now with a proper explanation of karma demons a lot of the rules of their society suddenly make a lot of logical sense. If one person losing control subconsciously can do all of that, it's no wonder they take no chances.

deadsea 2012-11-30 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonOfWrath (Post 4457356)
Definitely agreeing with Klashikari on the directing on this episode, turned out to be way less emotional than it should've been because of how abrupt the direction of the episode was. The death of the dog had absolutely no impact due to being a mess of wierd, horribly animated movements and still shots, for example. I had no clue at all what was going on for the first 5 minutes or so as well, can't stress how awful I find it.

I will say however that the colour palette and visual effects did seem appropriate for this episode, everything was clearly supposed to be rather trippy, it's just everything else just doesn't work imo.

Other than that, I really do like that now with a proper explanation of karma demons a lot of the rules of their society suddenly make a lot of logical sense. If one person losing control subconsciously can do all of that, it's no wonder they take no chances.

LOL I really like this style, they look like people cuz in the previous chapters They seemed statues without emotion and weird faces.
It was very sad what happened to the pet, I guess I was sorry because I have several pets and understand that link. Beautiful episode, great ost and style.

Kazu-kun 2012-11-30 20:53

Some anon posted these lines on the Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome which the anime glossed over. It's not really spoiler so:

"At the moment, there's no treatment"
Shun put Subaru down. Subaru then starts to waddle towards me.
"The Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome was originally thought to be related to schizophrenia, but current evidence suggests that this is untrue. What's happening in the brain is more similar to a panic attack"
Shun says, as if to speak of some distant third party.
"If reality were always constant and consistent no matter what kind of mental condition you happen to be in, treatment wouldn't be out of the question. But, if the world happens to change on your psychological whim, things become considerably more difficult. As a result, you end up being stuck in a spiral of negative feedback between the environment and the psyche, and all of this is occuring in the subconscious, making treating this illness a near impossibility"

Triple_R 2012-11-30 21:24

Beautiful, touching tragedy.

It's not the sort of thing that makes me cry (because I tend to cry for "heartwarming" more than "tragedy"), but it's still very emotionally impacting. There's a melancholic mastery to it that does indeed capture much of the essence of "Art".

At a logical level, I loved what they did with the "Karma Demon" concept here. I loved how huge a role the subconscious played in it. Very Jungian, very metaphysical, an engrossing blend of "magic" (in the sense of limitless possibilities) and logic. Reality itself warps and bends uncontrollably due to the subconscious thoughts of a powerful PKer. As such, he must die.


Shun and Saki have one of the most compelling romance tragedies I've ever seen. A love ill-fated both by the society they live in, and by their own personalities and powers. And yet, a love so very true, as their love-infused dedication to each other was unflappable to the bitter end, resulting in the irresistible force ("Go, Saki, I will not have another person I love die in front of me!") facing the immovable object ("I refuse to go, Shun!").

And the visuals for this were just mesmerizing in their gnarly beauty and cool creativity. It made me think of some of the weirder comic books of my youth (think Sandman, Dr. Strange, stuff like that).


With all of that said, I can definitely see where Kazu-kun is coming from. Saki's loss is so total, so absolute, that it may well be painful to watch her go on after this. And any romance this show may throw at us will pale in comparison to what we've been shown in Shun/Saki, imo.

But I will continue to watch Shin Sekai Yori, because I do like some of the characters left behind and want to see more of this wondrous show, but I probably agree with Kazu-Kun in thinking that this is likely the definitive, memorable moment of this anime.

To draw a comparison...

Spoiler for MAJOR Gurren Lagann spoiler:

mayumi 2012-11-30 22:07

Come on they are 14, this whole romance from now on will pale in comparison is nonsense. How can you say that when the show isn't even over?

Elestia 2012-11-30 22:09

Episode was okay. I couldn't really invest myself into empathizing with Shun since he was so underdeveloped throughout the entire series. He remained mostly a one dimensional character and met his end in an anti-cimatic way.

I actually felt more sorry for Subaru than Shun in the end.

Triple_R 2012-11-30 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayumi (Post 4457483)
Come on they are 14, this whole romance from now on will pale in comparison is nonsense. How can you say that when the show isn't even over?

What does their age have to do with anything? Many of the best and most popular anime romances of all-time were between teenaged characters (in some cases, 14 year olds specifically).


Anyway, you had an entire episode devoted to just two characters, with much of the focus on their feelings for one another.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Shin Sekai Yori episode to be about only two characters (even Saki/Satoru's Queerat War Adventure had Queerats in speaking roles).

Plus, there's certain levels of intensity that just can't be beat. You can tell them, and feel them, when you watch them. A great example of this is the Gurren Lagann event I referred to in spoiler space.

Now, TTGL was still a great show for many episodes after that and straight to the ending, imo, but it never had another moment quite on the level of that one, imo.

And I get the same sort of "This can't be topped" vibe from this episode.


Sorry, but there's a passion and consistency and deep emotionality and perfect mutuality to Shun/Saki that I just don't see in any other pairing in this narrative.


Given all of what I wrote above, I don't expect anything after this episode to match it, at least not when it comes to romance. But hey, I'll just have to wait and see in that regard. I could be wrong, but obviously I doubt it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.