AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AnimeSuki 10th Anniversary Banner Contest - Planning Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116997)

relentlessflame 2012-12-26 16:31

AnimeSuki 10th Anniversary Banner Contest - Planning Feedback
 
As you may know, AnimeSuki is now 10 years old!

To commemorate this special event, we are planning a special banner contest that focuses on the last ten years of anime.

The basic outline of the contest plan is as follows:
  • As mentioned above, the theme would be "Anime from 2003 to 2012", meaning shows that aired (in Japan) in each of the past 10 years. (Yes, I know the site technically launched at the end of 2002, but 2003 was the first full year.)
  • Everyone would be allowed to submit up to three banners, but each banner has to be from a different year. (The year is based on the airing date of the first episode in the series/OVA/movie.)
  • For each year, one winner and one runner-up would be chosen. A given entrant can only win in one year, and be the runner-up in one other year.

This time, because of the diversity of the subject, I am proposing that each person be allowed to create their own background gradient to go with each submission (or to select from a set of pre-created gradients). However:
  1. You must ensure the gradient looks good on each of the two main AnimeSuki themes (beige and blue)
  2. Your entry will be judged based both on the gradient AND the image (so don't pick a gradient that clashes with the forum themes)
If someone makes a gradient that clashes too badly (such that it doesn't look professional), it could possibly be disqualified by the staff... but I doubt that such a design would be voted in anyway.

Other than that, the banners would be center-justified and obey the same rules as we've used in previous contents.

In addition to the usual required "AnimeSuki Forums" text, I am wondering if we should add the text "10th Anniversary 2002-2012" (or just "10th Anniversary"?). It's also possible that we could have the designs incorporate either the series title or the year of airing for that show... but not sure about this. Would there be enough room?


Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to get feedback about this proposal and make any adjustments before we launch the contest proper in the new year. So please let me know what you think! We're excited to have a new banner contest to help promote this anniversary!

NoemiChan 2012-12-26 16:43

Basically I'm both excited and confused. Anyway..

1. Would it be better than the staff will be the one that will provide the gradients instead to have a 100% clash free submission.

2. The links should be given as well, right? What about if its an edited "screenshot" in an anime series?

relentlessflame 2012-12-26 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4490137)
1. Would it be better than the staff will be the one that will provide the gradients instead to have a 100% clash free submission.

I guess I'm okay with that, but I also don't want to artificially limit the artists too much. Maybe there'll be good colour schemes that we didn't think of?

Maybe what we could do instead is have people submit gradients for approval before the contest starts?

I'm open to suggestions here on how to best do this. I just don't want to be too limiting... but at the same time, maybe having some limits is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4490137)
2. The links should be given as well, right? What about if its an edited "screenshot" in an anime series?

I think you should still identify the anime in question and where it comes from if the source is available. A capture from an anime episode could be okay if you can make it work.

NoemiChan 2012-12-26 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4490149)
Maybe what we could do instead is have people submit gradients for approval before the contest starts?

Much better!

Rayrah 2012-12-26 17:08

Cool, this sounds like fun.

Submitting gradients for approval sounds like a great idea to me.

Personally, I think the less text there is, the better. Too much text will clutter up a banner. So, "AnimeSuki Forums" and just "10th Anniversary" would be best.

RRW 2012-12-26 19:37

Try to do this. probably will lose anyway :p

I think the text will be just "Animesuki 10th Anniversary"

Hiroi Sekai 2012-12-26 19:44

Cool, the next banner contest I've been waiting for. Will see what I can do. :3

Reverzer0 2012-12-26 19:44

I hope I am present when the contest will be out. I sell my pc for some reasons! business and etc. I will go whatever mechanics will be passed.

RRW 2012-12-26 20:02

I wonder if Gundam SEED is allowed. Original start air in 2002 but finished in 2003. Destiny is 2004-2005

Since it's a very big anime. you can make that as an exception can you

NoemiChan 2012-12-26 20:07

Could we have a list of all the animes that aired when Animesuki started? If it isn't too much...

relentlessflame 2012-12-26 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRW (Post 4490326)
I wonder if Gundam SEED is allowed. Original start air in 2002 but finished in 2003. Destiny is 2004-2005

Since it's a very big anime. you can make that as an exception can you

Maybe we can allow anime when a sequel aired in one of the requisite years (so long as the image reflects the sequel in some way and not the original)? So in this case, maybe Gundam Seed itself is out, but Gundam Seed Destiny is okay (and would count as 2004)?

That's just an idea, anyway.

Reverzer0 2012-12-26 20:14

What about those remakes? Like for example Hunter X Hunter?

RRW 2012-12-26 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4490340)
Maybe we can allow anime when a sequel aired in one of the requisite years (so long as the image reflects the sequel in some way and not the original)? So in this case, maybe Gundam Seed itself is out, but Gundam Seed Destiny is okay (and would count as 2004)?

That's just an idea, anyway.

Well you the Mod. but i guess is better to allow it since limiting creativity is not always a good thing

relentlessflame 2012-12-26 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverzer0 (Post 4490341)
What about those remakes? Like for example Hunter X Hunter?

This is just my opinion, but personally I prefer not. I'd rather have franchises that somehow representative of the year they were released. If we have a bunch of older franchises that were only remade recently, it doesn't change the fact that they're older franchises. Perhaps we should outlaw sequels for that reason too, but not sure...

Again, this is just my opinion, and not a decision.

Reverzer0 2012-12-26 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4490418)
This is just my opinion, but personally I prefer not. I'd rather have franchises that somehow representative of the year they were released. If we have a bunch of older franchises that were only remade recently, it doesn't change the fact that they're older franchises. Perhaps we should outlaw sequels for that reason too, but not sure...

Again, this is just my opinion, and not a decision.

Thanks for the humble reply", I just asked that question considering of some rectified events, new episodes or maybe adding new season that makes the anime somewhat new.

Anyway, I will respect any decisions will be made.

Patchy 2012-12-27 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4490149)
I guess I'm okay with that, but I also don't want to artificially limit the artists too much. Maybe there'll be good colour schemes that we didn't think of?

Maybe what we could do instead is have people submit gradients for approval before the contest starts?

I'm open to suggestions here on how to best do this. I just don't want to be too limiting... but at the same time, maybe having some limits is better.

Agree with that, what if there will be a short poll regarding that matter, just like before instead the top 2 to 3 gradients can be used for more diversity.

And don't worry about the limits sempai, I think the designers can do something about the gradients/bg just like the previous contest.

Krytonis 2012-12-27 07:04

I agree with Patchy there. Probably uploading different types of gradients that we can use and choosing only 1 or 2 of them as the main gradient would be quite fair. (It MAY take a long time for the decision to be made).

Like Patchy, said, there is no reason to be worried about the limits. Normally the people that are designers or do these things would of course choose the right kind of gradient to use. There wouldn't be any limitations at all :heh:

One question, you said that there is going to be a case where people upload their gradients for approval? Will a thread for this be made or do we just upload them here (since it's only a feedback thread)

For the text, I think going for "AnimeSuki Forum's 10th Anniversary" would be fine for me. I'm not sure about other people.

Suomi 2012-12-27 19:52

I think there should be an option of "choose this, this, or this gradient"...I mean, I feel like having a free for all for that would be too complicated and also that it should look at least somewhat uniform. (so the three options should definitely go together...analogous colors maybe? e.g. violet, blue violet, and blue) Definitely no judging on the gradients.

As for text: Maybe "Animesuki 10" or Animesuki's 10th"? I think it could either be a requirement to put 10th anniversary in there in some way shape or form, or an option. (The artist could be allowed to represent it however they wanted).

blaze0041 2012-12-27 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4490128)
In addition to the usual required "AnimeSuki Forums" text, I am wondering if we should add the text "10th Anniversary 2002-2012" (or just "10th Anniversary"?). It's also possible that we could have the designs incorporate either the series title or the year of airing for that show... but not sure about this. Would there be enough room?

It would probably take up too much room to add the series title and/or year for the show displayed on the banner, particularly in addition to "Animesuki Forums" (and any 10th anniversary celebratory text).
Would it be too difficult to add the "series title and/or year" info as part of the banner's alt-text, or does the forum software not allow this?

NoemiChan 2012-12-27 21:33

Since the "Anniversary" is kinda long.. can't it be removed? eg. Animesuki 10th Year


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.