AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can't log in to Wiki (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119219)

tyciol 2013-04-26 15:01

Can't log in to Wiki

I get this message when I log in with my forum account:
Quote:

Error: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (1267)
Any idea what causes this?

I linked to http://wiki.animesuki.com/wiki/Licensed_anime from http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/DO_NOT_UPLOAD as they are similar concepts and wanted to link back.

Haiprbim 2013-04-26 15:06

I have tried logging in on that site with my Forums' Username and Password just now and the same message popped up for me as well:

Quote:

Error: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (1267)
Certainly something worth looking into.

Edit: The same thing happens if I try to Log in from the Main Page over here.

GHDpro 2013-04-26 15:26

The real question I would like to ask would be Why now? Nothing much has changed other than the recent server move. Except the wiki queries the forum replication slave (real-time copy) during login, not the actual forum server, so really nothing much has changed.

It basically was a problem that should have popped up when the wiki went live. The vBulletin authentication plugin I wrote connected using UTF-8 (Unicode), which is noble and typically correct, except our forum database is old and most tables are latin1_swedish encoded. But a quick change fixed that.

Also, the Licensed anime page is protected and can only be edited by admins.

Haiprbim 2013-04-26 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHDpro (Post 4654919)
...except our forum database is old and most tables are latin1_swedish encoded...

I see, I thought it was some sort of an intersect between the two that caused the error.
It seems that is not the case.

GHDpro 2013-04-26 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiprbim (Post 4654923)
I see, I thought it was some sort of an intersect between the two that caused the error.
It seems that is not the case.

No, the forum & wiki have completely separate databases. For user authentication the plugin I wrote only "peeks" into the forum database (or the replication slave of it to be exact) using a separate database connection.

Kyuu 2013-04-26 15:43

Wow, this place has a Wiki? LoL :heh: And too bad it isn't Wikia.

GHDpro 2013-04-26 15:44

The wiki is kind of a failed experiment. Don't be surprised if I close it one day, or make it archive only.

Haiprbim 2013-04-26 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHDpro (Post 4654932)
No, the forum & wiki have completely separate databases. For user authentication the plugin I wrote only "peeks" into the forum database (or the replication slave of it to be exact) using a separate database connection.

By "an intersect between the two" I meant an intersect between so-called "latin1_swedish" and "general" collations.
However, knowing that Wiki and the Forums have separate Databases is good to know too.
If I may ask off-topic, does every section have its own database? For example, FAQ, Wiki, the Forums, Lists, ... or are Forums something special and Wiki goes with the others?
Just wondering, because I mostly see sites with all their pages having the same database.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHDpro (Post 4654941)
The wiki is kind of a failed experiment. Don't be surprised if I close it one day, or make it archive only.

Woah, don't do it yet, let us give a shot on filling it in a bit. :heh:
How about a 1-2 days announcement on the Forums regarding the Wiki and filling it in?
We may just expand it if the word comes around.

GHDpro 2013-04-26 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiprbim (Post 4654943)
By "an intersect between the two" I meant an intersect between so-called "latin1_swedish" and "general" collations.
However, knowing that Wiki and the Forums have separate Databases is good to know too.
If I may ask off-topic, does every section have its own database? For example, FAQ, Wiki, the Forums, Lists, ... or are Forums something special and Wiki goes with the others?
Just wondering, because I mostly see sites with all their pages having the same database.

Forum, Wiki & Site (torrent index) have separate databases. The reason the forum has a separate database is simple... for a long while now it has lived on a separate server from the rest of the site. As for the wiki... I didn't see the need to have it in the same database as the rest of the site (torrent index). I operate my own servers, so I can make as many databases as I like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiprbim (Post 4654943)
Woah, don't do it yet, let us give a shot on filling it in a bit. :heh:
How about a 1-2 days announcement on the Forums regarding the Wiki and filling it in?
We may just expand it if the word comes around.

Fill it with what? To make a wiki work you need a clear purpose and an editing team willing to put in work to keep it up to date. That didn't work out so well last time.

Haiprbim 2013-04-26 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHDpro (Post 4654958)
Fill it with what? To make a wiki work you need a clear purpose and an editing team willing to put in work to keep it up to date. That didn't work out so well last time.

You do have a point there.
Even if we look at the picture from further away, what even is AnimeSuki and what it meant to be in the first place? It is a database of BitTorrent anime, and you cannot tell/explain much more about that in the Wiki, can you?
Maybe it would be a good idea to take it down after all, unless you have any ideas of what content to include?
The site itself does not have a specific story-focus or anything, the List itself could be taken as the Wiki, heh.

Edit: Looking at what you have posted and what I did, I practically said the same thing as you did just now, just with other words...