AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ender's Game 2013 [Movie] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119348)

monir 2013-05-04 23:13

Ender's Game 2013 [Movie]

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
Expected Premiere Date: November 2013

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is probably one of the most popular Sci-fi book of the 20th century. Needless to say this movie is long due and I'm very excited at the prospect of this feature film. Harrison Ford is going to play Hyrum Graff's role. Not familiar with this kid playing Ender Wiggin's role.

Btw, all novel spoiler must be strictly behind clearly marked spoiler tags. Enjoy the discussion.

creb 2013-05-04 23:25

Ender's Game was the first "adult" book I ever read after a childhood filled with The Boxcar Children, Beverley Clearly, etc. It doesn't quite have the same impact on me today, all these years later, but it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

I do hope it turns out well. Have high hopes that, at the very least, the production values will be high-if only because if they can afford Harrison Ford, it can't be too Grade B...funding wise. :)

Edit: And, while I never really imagined a british accent for Ender (in all fairness, I never gave it any thought), in retrospect, it fits well, imo.

Terrestrial Dream 2013-05-04 23:52

I read Ender's Shadow few years ago, I should get around reading Ender's Game.

Kokukirin 2013-05-05 02:08

I hope they get the ending right in the movie.

LeoXiao 2013-05-05 02:11

Ender is supposed to be American, why does he have an accent.

Anyways I hope this is good and that they make it unique.

MrTerrorist 2013-05-05 03:27

I wonder if the author's views might affect the movie?
I heard he's a great author but his negative views on homosexuality has cause controversy.

synaesthetic 2013-05-05 03:51

Until Card rescinds his douchebaggery, this is a total no-sell.

LeoXiao 2013-05-05 04:03

I don't care about what the author thinks about minor issues, the book was good.

synaesthetic 2013-05-05 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoXiao (Post 4666675)
minor issues

What.

james0246 2013-05-05 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokukirin (Post 4666594)
I hope they get the ending right in the movie.

They won't (probably). Card has posted multiple scripts over the years that all start with the book ending's reveal. So, I expect the film will be the same way (the brief teaser seems to indicate this).

That being said, the brief look at the zero-g battle room looks really cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir (Post 4666356)
Not familiar with this kid playing Ender Wiggin's role.

It's Asa Butterfield (great name, right?), best known for Martin Scorsese 'Hugo' and Mark Herman's 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'.

milan kyuubi 2013-05-05 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 4666998)
It's Asa Butterfield (great name, right?), best known for Martin Scorsese 'Hugo' and Mark Herman's 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'.

He also played Mordred (as a child) on Merlin tv show (season 1). :)

Ithekro 2013-05-05 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic (Post 4666736)

What.

He's a Mormon...church policy is something one ignores even on a personal level if the story is good. Escpecially if the story doesn't go into the issue. (I don't recall Ender's Game going into the topic of homosexuality at all. Good or Bad).

I had to read it for a sci-fi literature class I had in college. It was pretty much the only book we got that I enjoyed reading.

LeoXiao 2013-05-05 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic (Post 4666736)

What.

Ithekro said it better than I would have.

kaito-kid 2013-05-05 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoXiao (Post 4667322)
Ithekro said it better than I would have.

Nah, you just basically said bigotry is a minor issues.

But I agree with Ithekro that whatever the author of the books is a bigot or not is irrelevant when we are talking about his work. Or at least as long as he doesn't talk about the subject in his books. Even though I must admit, this is an easy thing to say a straight man.

LeoXiao 2013-05-05 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaito-kid (Post 4667382)
Nah, you just basically said bigotry is a minor issues.

whatever, I meant in context to the works of fiction involved.

Quote:

But I agree with Ithekro that whatever the author of the books is a bigot or not is irrelevant when we are talking about his work. Or at least as long as he doesn't talk about the subject in his books. Even though I must admit, this is an easy thing to say a straight man.
true.

Kokukirin 2013-05-05 15:07

I was waiting to see how many posts it takes for Card's views on homosexuality getting brought up. It certainly didn't take long.

Ender's Game and the next book Speaker for the Dead are genuinely masterpieces. If you let the author's background stop you enjoying them, you are missing out. But when he starts preaching family values in later works though, they can become rather annoying.

creb 2013-05-05 15:31

I'm pretty sure there's a thread in General where you can get your knickers in a twist over other people's opinions on social issues. :heh:

Anyways, more movie news:

The first Ender's Game teaser trailer will appear during a Google + Hangout on Tuesday, May 7 at 1:00pm PDT/4:00pm EDT.

The Ender's Game movie Google+ page is:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EndersGame/posts

Their stream has a bunch of screenshots from the movie. It'll be interesting to see if they retain the "adult" atmosphere, or turn it into a kid's movie.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-M...+One-Sheet.jpg

Masuzu 2013-05-06 00:08

Never heard of this, sounds cool.

Guardian Enzo 2013-05-06 08:30

Card's political views did find their way into some of his books later on - in fact they caused me to finally give up on him as a writer, despite the fact that for a time I felt he was the best SF/Fantasy writer in the business - but I don't see any of that in Ender's Game. Plain and simple, it's one of the best SF novels of its generation and I certainly hope the movie does it justice. Based on some of the things I've heard about the script ("focusing more on the adult characters" and such) I have my worries.

Kirarakim 2013-05-06 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokukirin (Post 4667420)
I was waiting to see how many posts it takes for Card's views on homosexuality getting brought up. It certainly didn't take long.

Ender's Game and the next book Speaker for the Dead are genuinely masterpieces. If you let the author's background stop you enjoying them, you are missing out. But when he starts preaching family values in later works though, they can become rather annoying.

I love Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (which is a lot less famous but still brilliant).

Orson Scott Card also wrote one of my favorite fantasy books: Enchantment

But yeah his homophobia is upsetting and I have to admit since I learned about it I haven't really seeked out anything new of his work. I don't think an author's views should affect your views of their work but sometimes it is just hard to separate the two.

I am still excited about this movie and I think Asa Butterfield is a good child actor, so I am happy with that choice.