AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Danganronpa (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Danganronpa - Episode 3 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=121002)

Klashikari 2013-07-18 12:21

Danganronpa - Episode 3 Discussion / Poll
 
Welcome to the discussion thread for Danganronpa, Episode 3.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Klashikari 2013-07-18 12:34

Okay, color me disappointed by this episode. Frankly, I wasn't expecting something as engaging as in the game considering the time constraint and the lack of gameplay, but it wasn't exactly well directed in term of anime standards.

In general, the episode was fine in term of content because it generally kept the strict minimum of the said trial. In fact, they had the luxury to use some references as a nod to game players.
However, the said references will obviously fly over the head of the anime watchers (for instance, Makoto and Leon "MTB" debate, with that weird *shaking* focus on them, which is what is used with chara sprites when they yell or get really heated up), although they didn't over do it with the non stop discussion interface. But that aside, it may look quite obnoxious in term of anime standards, and I wouldn't be surprised if anime watchers would complain about these.
As a game player, I found these references lazy because the director seems to think that showing the game UI is enough. It is however not the case when it actually downplays the mood (only 1 assertion flying, no "chaotic debate" impression whatsoever).
For those who don't know, Dangan Ronpa plays differently than Phoenix Wright as the game shows characters giving their assertions / proofs / testimony onscreen and you have to break through the contradiction/lie with evidences (which is why evidences were shown as bullet in ep2).

Now the major problem with the trial was the pacing having weird instances of momentum breaks. But the real issue was the panning which hardly gave a sense of urgency/trouble since it was generally stuck, with very rare close up on Makoto.
Aoi's testimony was awkward as well: did they really make Sakura and Aoi look to the knives RIGHT after Sayaka left? That screams suspicions no matter how you look at it.
Another directing issue was the use the climax logic comic: they cut it into 3 parts and made it spread over the trial...? What's worse is that they have shown Sayaka being disarmed right before Yasuhiro claims the sword attack was preemptive.
I think the climax of a trial is exactly when you expose the full course of events after confirming all evidence, before calling someone guilty. In fact, this should have been the crowning part of Makoto's statement before Leon's fit. And I think it was possible to animate it instead of copy pasting the game but that's just me...
If you add some seiyuu performance being a bit tame (especially Sakurai's for Leon), it doesn't really sound like an explosive debate whatsoever (even if the case was easy as hell).

The execution was... censored for no damn reason: it isn't like it is shocking on the initial start of the execution, but that utter close up on the baseball machine basically prevented you to see anything (and that really dampen the shock factor, despite there isn't any guro).

Finally, the post execution part was really weird: like the OP, the decision in skipping the ED sequence was a good call. However, they KEPT the ed song despite it doesn't fit the mood. It is a godamn tragedy no matter how you look at it, yet they let Monokuma rambling with the ED playing in the background.
Furthermore, they didn't let Makoto's full rant over Monokuma, which actually bring a nice characterization + an emphasis over the other characters, who are basically left with just few "why did you do that" /end. In fact, the lack of reactions from the characters is baffling, especially Kyotaka's crying on this matter.

At least, they kept Kyouko and Makoto's discussion in the end. I was really afraid they would skip that after that debacle.
Anyway, I'm really concerned for the other chapters, because if they really couldn't hit home with the mood of the first case, I have trouble imagining how it will perform later...

Also, just in case I expect people condemning characters right on the get go
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

MisaoFan 2013-07-18 14:26

Spoiler for Episode 3:

serenade_beta 2013-07-18 14:30

Putting aside the logic and all of that, I hear the movie was a complete reuse of the game's?
Plus clear censorships (not sure if that was in the game).
And while I haven't played the game, considering the use of the movie, I have a bad feeling that those weird manga komas or other parts that stood out were from the game too? I wonder if this low-budget anime was made just to advertise the game...

As for the AHOAHO thing.... Ah~ Well~... Un, Nougami Neuro does it better.

But well, the good thing about horror(?) movies is that no matter how bad it is, you won't fall asleep because of the blood and killing, you know. In a way, you can say these types of shows have an advantage in that area.

melina_putri 2013-07-18 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 4762839)
Putting aside the logic and all of that, I hear the movie was a complete reuse of the game's?
Plus clear censorships (not sure if that was in the game).
And while I haven't played the game, considering the use of the movie, I have a bad feeling that those weird manga komas or other parts that stood out were from the game too? I wonder if this low-budget anime was made just to advertise the game...

The censorship most likely because they had to comply against TV airing rules in Japan. Violence scenes which involves blood or people dying as the result are censored or shown off-screen.

The manga komas were also taken from the game.

Dirty_Harry 2013-07-18 14:58

Quote:

I wonder if this low-budget anime was made just to advertise the game...
Bingo. Advertising for the psvita game.

Klashikari 2013-07-18 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 4762839)
Putting aside the logic and all of that, I hear the movie was a complete reuse of the game's?
Plus clear censorships (not sure if that was in the game).

No, it wasn't censored in the game.
For reference.

Quote:

As for the AHOAHO thing.... Ah~ Well~... Un, Nougami Neuro does it better.
More reference
Although it also show what was the deal with Makoto and Leon and their static debate with the MTB (that rythm mini game stuff).

serenade_beta 2013-07-18 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by melina_putri (Post 4762851)
The manga komas were also taken from the game.

Figures.

The producer thought about how to animate a game.
He became a mixed being of the Thinker and Producer, and forever brainstormed on how to animate the game.
But even if he wanted to quit the job, he couldn't.
And eventually, he stopped thinking.

Dengar 2013-07-18 15:27

I will not lie. I'm not very pleased by this episode. Not enough to drop it, I'm interested in seeing the whole thing through, and not as a chore, but because I want to. I -am- a fan of the franchise, after all. No doubt I'll get -some- enjoyment out of it.

That said, I'm disappointed that my suspicions were confirmed. The trials just don't work that well in anime form. It just becomes a bunch of kids standing in a circle talking to eachother. The game references did not help spice things up.

The trial's main saving grace was Kuwata flipping his shit near the end, claiming random things and being refuted every time. I loved that part.

The execution... I can't say much about that. I've seen that a few times already.

I will say that while the base for the animation probably WAS pulled straight from the game, the animation is slightly more detailed.

As expected from a game-based anime, it will never be perfect, but at least I can enjoy the overall story and the characters in animated form.


On a side note, I disagree with people downplaying Maizono's intentions. Don't get me wrong, I think she's a victim, but focus on the part where she was driven to despair. To graduate means to forsake everyone else. Just because she didn't know about the trial rules doesn't mean she wasn't about to betray everyone, because she was.

If you really want to defend her, focus on the fact that she was driven to despair by Monokuma's machinations, and ditto for Kuwata, who clearly saw his own chance to escape and killed Maizono for it.

hamazura 2013-07-18 16:43

whos the queen of tsundere seiyuu who do "BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA"? Kana hanazawa?
the otakus should make leon's seiyuu the king of tsundere for "AHO AHO AHO AHO AHO" :p


waiting for subs...
dont care about outcome of this adaptation, animated togami n kirigiri >>>> animated everything

marvelB 2013-07-18 18:48

Yeah, after checking out the raw, all I can say is..... too much Ronpa, not enough Dangan. :p

I will admit that I was a bit disappointed by how the trial was handled in episode 3. But once again, I accept that it had to be that way due to the low episode count. Still, even more than the trial, there was one other little thing that bothered me:

Spoiler for Episode 3:


And that makes up my little rant. I still won't drop the show, of course. But I do admit that I feel a twinge of trepidation in regards to how the future trials will be handled....

AC-Phoenix 2013-07-18 21:05

Did my ears fool me or did they give the 'who is sakura-chan' question to Celes?:twitch:

Klashikari 2013-07-18 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix (Post 4763170)
Did my ears fool me or did they give the 'who is sakura-chan' question to Celes?:twitch:

They did. They also missed that jab to Kyotaka as well so you can say anime watchers don't have the "official" statement that Sakura is a girl yet.

marvelB 2013-07-18 23:55

Speaking of other game comparisons, one thing I actually did like about the episode is that Naegi managed to figure out the "11037" message all by himself. It's not at all like how the game handled the scene:



Naegi: Hmm, dying message "11037", what could it possibly mean?


*thinks hard*


.....Damn! I can't figure it out!


Kirigiri: .....Turn it upside-down, stupid.


Kinda wonder if that means we'll see other characters grow a brain in future trials? :p

maplehurry 2013-07-19 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4763059)
Yeah, after checking out the raw, all I can say is..... too much Ronpa, not enough Dangan. :p

what do "dangan" "ronpa" mean anyway ? :confused:

Iby 2013-07-19 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
danganronpa: Trigger happy havoc (ダンガンロンパ 希望の学園と絶望の高校生 danganronpa: Kibō no gakuen to zetsubō no kōkōsei, lit. bullet rebuttal: Academy of hope and high school students of despair)

Well, that was as lazy as possible. I guess I'll put it on hold until I finish the game and then decide if it's worth to watch other episodes.

gecd 2013-07-19 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klashikari (Post 4762752)

Also, just in case I expect people condemning characters right on the get go
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

wow
I didnt realised that even in the game
now I feel bad for disliking Maizono

novalysis 2013-07-19 09:52

As an anime original viewer, the closing scene between Naegi and Kyouko has nearly brought me to ship those two together.

White Manju Bun 2013-07-19 10:32

Trial felt like Phoenix Wright to me...

As an anime only viewer it basically felt like every other "death by locked door" reference I'd seen. I do like Kirigiri a l though, hoping she makes far.

Now that everything is "reset" kinda, Im interested to see how the next set plays out. Also I loved the animation for the death scene :heh:

Gundamx 2013-07-19 12:00

Naegi psychic joke will mean a lot more if they show Sayaka social link event
(She always made that joke with Naegi)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.