AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Air (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   AIR - Generic discussion thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=12476)

Village Idiot 2004-04-02 00:28

AIR - Generic discussion thread
 
*thanks to Demonrugal of Gamefaqs*

AIR: The Movie

According to the site, it says that it's being released by TOEI in Fall of 2004.

Is this real or is it just some kind of a really, really, really sick April Fools joke?

To those that don't know, AIR is a bishoujo game (dating sim) from the makers of Kanon, and was voted the best game of 2000 and 2001 in Japan (yes, it's that damn good). It's widely considered by bishoujo game fans as one of the best, if not the best bishoujo game ever created.

Mr_Paper 2004-04-02 00:32

I doubt it is a joke, that site has been around for a bit now.

kj1980 2004-04-02 14:37

It is most likely true since:

A. The rumor has been around Japanese otaku world for at least six month before on the info page MOON PHASE

B. The director Dezaki Osamu blurted out in his online diary on March 8th about the difficulty of drawing/reproducing something similar to Itaru-san's art sketch from "AIR"

C. If "Kanon" was done by Toei, it is assumable that "AIR" would be also from Toei, as written on the HP

D. A special column about this will be on the next issue of Newtype and/or Comptiq magazine.

Village Idiot 2004-04-02 17:09

Ooo I gotta pick up the next issue of Newtype then :)

<3 AIR

Leo_Otaku 2004-04-26 21:31

AIR the MOVIE thread
 
ok I can't wait for this to come out and since many people like animes such as:

KGNE
Tsukihime
Kanon

This is created by the creators of Kanon. It is a dating sim released by KEY/ Visual Arts. As kj1980 will come here (no doubt) since he is so leet with dating sims :) So here we will post up to date info and such :)

* bows down to kj1980*

the official movie site is: http://www.air2004.com/ nothing yet tho ^-^"

a7m4 2004-04-26 21:43

I really almost despise anime based on h-games and dating sims, but I am interested in this for the sole reason that it is directed by Osamu Dezaki(Black Jack, Rose of Versailles, Brother, Dear Brother, Aim for the Ace!), so I will see how it turns out.

Leo_Otaku 2004-04-26 21:47

you despise kanon :( Kanon is awesome.

I like Black Jack :)

I hope you will enjoy it :)

jennwenn 2004-04-26 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by a7m4
I really almost despise anime based on h-games and dating sims, but I am interested in this for the sole reason that it is directed by Osamu Dezaki(Black Jack, Rose of Versailles, Brother, Dear Brother, Aim for the Ace!), so I will see how it turns out.

What the?!!!! :twitch: You serious?! I didn't know Osamu Dezaki was still directing...You know I entered this thread with the sole purpose of bashing Air to bits as "not another crappy shallow boring dating sim" but now you've got me thinking...

Leo_Otaku 2004-04-29 14:00

:)
 
You don't even know the story of AIR so yeah um keep stuff like that to yourself. :) Or we bash you to bits

sarcasteak 2004-04-29 14:23

Air rocked Kanon...and I liked Kanon a lot, too (the game, that is)!
I definitely look forward to Air and pray that they might weave all three arcs in a fluent way.

Osaka 2004-04-29 16:56

Can't wait for this, especially since it was previously announced to "begin" last summer (I thought it would be a TV series)
And by the way, Kanon is one of my favorite series...
So as to wait, I think I'm going to play Clannad...

TronDD 2004-04-29 17:08

I'm looking forward to this, also. Kanon is one of my favorite shows and I've liked all the anime based on ero-games that I've seen. I have no knowledge of the game, however. I hope a movie format can tell the story well enough and doesn't expect the viewer to be familiar with the characters and stories already from playing the game.

babbito2k 2004-04-29 18:00

Where are anime producers supposed to get material for shounen romance series if not from "shallow dating sims?" I haven't seen any noteworthy shounen romance manga lately, to say the least.

jennwenn 2004-04-29 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
You don't even know the story of AIR so yeah um keep stuff like that to yourself. :) Or we bash you to bits

Well bishoujo game-to-anime conversions have a justified reputation of being shallow wish fulfullment and fanservice-y muck with spineless stereotypical girls catering to/competing for a faceless male protagonist. I don't know if its because I'm not a guy or what, but I like very few shonen romance. (Even if its not based on a game.) It takes a lot for any former video game anime to break that image for me. A lot. Osamu Dezaki is "a lot".

I haven't played the game (must be obvious right?) but I know its the most popular bishoujo game ever so I flipped through an Air artbook out of curiosity once. It was non-descript and not enough to catch me then, but I'm willing to give Air a chance now.

Can someone give me a non-spoiler summary of the game? (If that's possible given the different story paths.)

Jinx626 2004-04-29 21:31

Wow..It was only a matter of time since there has been a trend of producting anime based off ero-games.....Can't wait ^_^ (patiently waiting for Wind -a breath of heart-)

TronDD 2004-04-29 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennwenn
wish fulfullment and fanservice

That's what makes it romantic.

Main Entry: 1ro·man·tic
Pronunciation: rO-'man-tik, r&-
Function: adjective
Etymology: French romantique, from obsolete romant romance, from Old French romans
1 : consisting of or resembling a romance
2 : having no basis in fact : IMAGINARY
3 : impractical in conception or plan : VISIONARY
4 a : marked by the imaginative or emotional appeal of what is heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized


These games are written for guys. That's why it's aways some looser male character with girls all over him to choose from. It's the fantasy of the target audience. The guy probably seems faceless because he is. It's supposed to be the person playing the game. You make the decisions based on what you would do.

As a guy, I get easily attached to the girls portraid (I usually think the guy is an idiot) and I find the games (the one I've actually played) and shows quite emotional.

And, come on, there is no fanservice in the Kanon series. :)

babbito2k 2004-04-29 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennwenn
Well bishoujo game-to-anime conversions have a justified reputation of being shallow wish fulfullment and fanservice-y muck with spineless stereotypical girls catering to/competing for a faceless male protagonist. I don't know if its because I'm not a guy or what, but I like very few shonen romance...

"Justified" you say, but I don't see how. Few game adaptations have much fanservice. "Shallow wish fulfillment" is a vague negative definition which can be applied to any romance including shoujo titles - which merely stick a cute face on the spineless female character. And all this boils down to is that you generally dislike this kind of thing, without naming any exceptions.

zalas 2004-04-29 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennwenn
Well bishoujo game-to-anime conversions have a justified reputation of being shallow wish fulfullment and fanservice-y muck with spineless stereotypical girls catering to/competing for a faceless male protagonist. I don't know if its because I'm not a guy or what, but I like very few shonen romance. (Even if its not based on a game.) It takes a lot for any former video game anime to break that image for me. A lot. Osamu Dezaki is "a lot".

I haven't played the game (must be obvious right?) but I know its the most popular bishoujo game ever so I flipped through an Air artbook out of curiosity once. It was non-descript and not enough to catch me then, but I'm willing to give Air a chance now.

Can someone give me a non-spoiler summary of the game? (If that's possible given the different story paths.)

The reason AIR did so well was that its story was spectacular and the music excellent. It wasn't your run of the mill "dating sim." You meet many characters, who aren't all falling head over heels for you, and you even go thru weird moments like a nice trip back to the past ;)

What I'm worried about is how they will manage to fit the entire storyline into a regular length feature. Maybe if they only follow one path and only for the first third of the game :/

jennwenn 2004-04-30 01:19

TronDD, I agree that your definition is what these shows are like. That's what I don't like about them, but its the reason fans do like them. I can stomach these types of shows, even rank them among my all-time favorites, if I can like the characters and not just the ones of the opposite sex of the viewer. If the execution of these scenarios are really well done, I enjoy it. Its just rare that I see a scene or a situation in these shows that I find entertaining or touching or not contrived. Its all fantasy, but if it didn't have some realism in character and situation nobody would like it, even you guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babbito2k
"Justified" you say, but I don't see how. Few game adaptations have much fanservice. "Shallow wish fulfillment" is a vague negative definition which can be applied to any romance including shoujo titles - which merely stick a cute face on the spineless female character. And all this boils down to is that you generally dislike this kind of thing, without naming any exceptions.

It does apply to shoujo romance titles. I hate shallow shoujo romance too, especially when there's the "oh-save-me-bishounen" complex going on, but that's a whole 'nother rant.

The series I enjoy that have romance in them are not purely romance anime. There's more going on in the series that attracts me and they feature more than one character that I like. I mean series like Princess Tutu, Fruits Basket (both shoujo not shonen I know), Saikano (the horrors of war aspect drew me), Video Girl Ai (that was for guys and I liked that one), and Rizelmine (i liked the humour and it didn't take itself seriously).

And few game adaptations have fanservice? Kanon is the only one I can think that doesn't. And Sakura Wars, though it had its moments. (Tsukihime I'll put in the "I don't know" category. But the artbook I saw sure as heck had fanservice...) The rest have nudity, sex scenes, or panty shots. I can't remember which came from games and which not, but all these shonen romance series have fanservice: Lime Iro-Senkitan (game), Green Green, KimiNozo (game), Canvas, UFO Princess Valkerie, Popotan, Onegai Twins, Onegai Teacher, Love Hina, Rizelmine, Hanaukyo Maids, the upcoming My Hime. Even Ghibli's only shounen romance (and weakest work) "I Can Hear the Sea" had some fanservice, albeit not much. This is where it gets the reputation of being shallow fanservice material catering to males. The real gems of the genre, if there are any, get drowned in the crap.

Now can someone please give me a plot summary of Air? I'm genuinely interested to know what its about. I'd like to see if its anything like the romance stories I do like. I'm not asking just so I can say how stupid the story is. I want to know what's its about and why its so popular because it sounds like it could have potential.

Village Idiot 2004-04-30 01:30

Read this for a brief plot summary of AIR.

AIR Plot Summary/Review

Note: Don't think that's all there is to AIR. That summary doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the story.

There's a reason why this game was voted as Game of the Year two years in a row.

Quote:

What I'm worried about is how they will manage to fit the entire storyline into a regular length feature. Maybe if they only follow one path and only for the first third of the game :/
According to rumors, I think they are making the movie based on Misuzu's story only, and it will be about 2hrs long.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.