AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I need Angst!! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=12617)

Patapi 2004-04-28 22:26

I need Angst!!

Ah I love the teen angst, (or any angst) anime. Like Fruits Basket, or something like the MARS manga. Any suggestions for unlicensed anime?

wao 2004-04-29 05:55

Violinist of Hameln. Watch until the end, do not be put off by some ridiculous bits as well as some cliched areas (this is based on an older manga so may not be as cliche as you think because others are just copying :P) and the bad animation. It is full of angst...

Secca 2004-04-29 06:55

What is "angst" btw? I only heard it used before, but I don't understand what it really means.

DistortedRealmS 2004-04-29 07:22

well my recommendation for this would be Da Capo, You can get some good Laughs during the first half and then get what you asked for the second half, this may sound strange but thats how it is don't let that confuse you its a solid story throughout and both the first and second half go together but basically the second half gets serious and the story becomes much more darkand the comedy almost ceases at that point and like you asked for the characters at that point have a few struggles too deal with.

Cheers
Rob

Arwyn 2004-04-29 11:11

Here are a couple that should provide plenty of angst;

Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Da Capo (first half is funny, second half is very emotional)
Kanon (ditto)
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (probably the current "angst" champion)
Onegai Twins (its tied into the love triangle theme, but has a fair amount of comedy in it)

boneyjellyfish 2004-04-29 11:28

Neon Genesis Evangelion - More angst than you'll ever need in an anime.

Secca 2004-04-29 12:41

Why nobody would explain what angst is? ^^

Thany 2004-04-29 12:46

Seems like 'angst' would come from the word 'Angst' in German which means : 'angish' in English.
I'm not sure though...

Arwyn 2004-04-29 14:13

Angst is to be unsettled, or experience feelings of isolation, discomfort or longing for something.

Secca 2004-04-29 15:45

I see, I think I started to understand what you mean. Something like in the Infinite Ryvius?

boneyjellyfish 2004-04-29 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secca
I see, I think I started to understand what you mean. Something like in the Infinite Ryvius?

Not quite. That's more like a literal isolation. Angst is more a feeling of anxiety, a feeling like everyone in the world hates you and you're all alone.

A feeling best expressed by anime teenagers.

Patapi 2004-04-29 18:01

well Angst is best explained with an example, Like if you've ever read the MARS manga. It like the anxiety when one character likes someone and that someone likes them back but neither wants to say anything for like 12 eps. you get my idea?

Secca 2004-04-30 00:53

Oh I get it ^^, I seen that in II's manga i think.

Scrumhalf 2004-04-30 08:23

I find Boys Be a very angsty romance anime.

That poor boy; Chiharu is a sk*nk *cough*

Arwyn 2004-04-30 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
I find Boys Be a very angsty romance anime.

That poor boy; Chiharu is a sk*nk *cough*

Really? I found the series to be pretty slice of life. Chiharu did something dumb, but I dont think it was that bad.

I would agree that there was a lot of teenage angst in it though, they did a good job of capturing all the typical teen concerns and anxieties.

Scrumhalf 2004-04-30 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwyn
Really? I found the series to be pretty slice of life. Chiharu did something dumb, but I dont think it was that bad.

I would agree that there was a lot of teenage angst in it though, they did a good job of capturing all the typical teen concerns and anxieties.

Too add to it, it had an incomplete ending (Episode 13) to further increase the angst level in that series. :/

Arwyn 2004-04-30 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Too add to it, it had an incomplete ending (Episode 13) to further increase the angst level in that series. :/

Yeah, I did find that annoying, but perhaps they left it open for a follow up series.

sothis 2004-04-30 15:21

secca: infinite ryvius is a PERFECT example of what angst is. i was actually going to list it as a recommendation, but the person only wants unlicensed series. curses!

ubb 2004-05-02 17:41

Why do people wait for others to reply instead of looking it up on a dictionary?

sothis 2004-05-02 18:07

because obviously english isn't their first language, and maybe they don't have an easy way of looking it up. instead, it might be easier to get real life feedback, with a non-dictionary type explanation.