AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Overwatch (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=129276)

oompa loompa 2014-11-07 15:11

Overwatch

So this just got announced at blizzcon

Gameplay trailer

First trailer

Looks like.. pixar team fortress with super powers. I hated the trailer, but the gameplay looks pretty intriguing. Not much information out, ( afaik no release date yet, will update)

Xacual 2014-11-07 15:15

I wonder if Overwatch is them making use of some of the assets that they had made for Project Titan, like art assets and things.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 15:25

Wow okay usually with these things there's only a few characters that I would be interested in but this time there's a lot of really interesting characters with different play styles.

The only personal downside is that it's First Person... I wish it third person but some of the characters look like they have some 3rd person abilities.

Ak3mi 2014-11-07 15:28

Very excited about this blizzard polish on a fps game(with a twist), and it looks to be fast paced, being a ex UT player going to be a lot of fun in 2015 this and the UT reboot.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 15:32

Overwatch Panel happening now.

Last Sinner 2014-11-07 15:39

TF2 comparisons are inevitable. Documents leaked late 2000s had the tenatively named Titan project to emerge late 2014 as what Kaplan left WoW for to work on.

Blizzard are being a bit clever. Shooters have had little impact on the e-sports scene (Counterstrike has a limited following and not that positive a community) and Team Fortress 2 has worn a bit thin for a lot of people. It's a genre they can cash in on and try and make an e-sport out of since Riot and Valve are way ahead of them on the MOBA scene with Heroes of the Storm taking this long to start emerging and Starcraft's impact being limited in that way.

Visuals are fine for me. Mercy seems like the one I'd play most since I played Medic big-time in TF2. But as you say, I hope this doesn't turn into a PG-era version of a shooter or too Pixarish.

One thing I will say is at least Blizzard made some female characters/classes - something TF2 and co. never did.

They managed to make Hearthstone go well within 1 year and is their first relative success at making an e-sport. I daresay Overwatch is their next hope - Heroes of the Storm likely has too big a wall to climb against its competitors.

Ravagerblade 2014-11-07 15:50

Less lethal = more uptime ftw lol.
The Opening animation for Overwatch made me get so critical when the two kids show'd up but it was really cool afterwards. :)
Reaper looks awesome btw.
Tracer is kind of chipperish lol.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 15:50

Currently is 6v6, objective focus, and what's this? No Deathmatch?

EDIT:

12 playable characters so far.

Ak3mi 2014-11-07 16:21

Really like the look of the maps. Think bastion is my favourite and tracer coming up along side.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 16:25

Tracer and Widowmaker are moe.

Hooves 2014-11-07 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xacual (Post 5328704)
I wonder if Overwatch is them making use of some of the assets that they had made for Project Titan, like art assets and things.

I'm going to assume this is the case. Since they finally scrapped Project Titan since it was getting nowhere. They might as well use whatever they had on something smaller.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 16:45

Now that single player is confirmed to not be in the game, I'm curious about how they want to tell the story of the world outside of the game.

I suspect they're planning to make it an Animation series, they seem to be flexing their muscles on Animation with WoW so this seems like a natural progression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooves (Post 5328768)
I'm going to assume this is the case. Since they finally scrapped Project Titan since it was getting nowhere. They might as well use whatever they had on something smaller.

They have all but confirmed this in the Overwatch panel just now.

Ak3mi 2014-11-07 17:05

Curious to see what Blizz wants to do with the payment model. Heroes of the Storm is free to play likely this will be that too.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 17:30

http://i.imgur.com/zVb1QdIl.jpg

I've decided, I want that Cyborg Ninja, I don't care how it actually plays- I want him in my veins.

Ak3mi 2014-11-07 17:52

Looks like a warframe :p I love how they have designed these hero's really unique.

Chaos2Frozen 2014-11-07 17:53

Now that you mention it, yeah :heh: My first thought was Gray Fox though.

Mr Hat and Clogs 2014-11-07 17:57

Mercy reminds me a lot of the Medic from TF2, so that's probably the way I'll gravitate. But the dwarf dude and the turret lady are strong shades of the Engineer which is also quite awesome. Tracer is pretty peppy though, kinda looks like she'll have a sort of spammable teleport, retreat ability I get the feeling will be very annoying to counter. Also, Widowmaker sounds like they just copied either Kerrigans or Nova's voice pack, lol.

I'd say payment model wise expect something like HotS. F2P, earnable currency (hopefully at a better rate than HotS), loads of skins.

Kyero Fox 2014-11-07 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 5328762)
Tracer and Widowmaker are moe.

I'm in love with Tracer. XD Dat Accent and hair.

Mr Hat and Clogs 2014-11-07 18:47

Yeah, she's pretty awesome. But it's pretty obvious which two characters are the mascots of the series. lol.

Flying Dagger 2014-11-07 19:14

I don't know why I am just not very hyped. I guess I feel like FPS have been so well covered by a lot of other developers that Blizzard just... wouldn't be able to stand out. This game feels much like teamfortress.

I seriously think blizzard should stick to their RPG/RTS roots. There is still a LOT in those genres for them to explore. Then again, Blizzard loves their multiplayer elements, and most likely will not bother with standalone single player games that offer the epic adventuring experience like in single player games.