AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Manga VS Anime! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=14070)

MangaBoi1989 2004-05-20 12:03

Manga VS Anime!
 
Manga VS Anime Poll!

Choose which ever one u prefer! just for starters...

Anime: sound, colour, movement

Manga: BETTER(WAAAAAAY better) drawing, unmodified Plot(thats a good thing), and More Fast Paced!(ppl like to ACTUALLY ADD unneccessary speech, convo, Scenes, and other stuff to try to make 1 volume of Manga into 10 episodes of Anime.if u have seen and read Both the Manga and Anime version of Something, u will know wut i mean.)

for me.... i VERY MUCH prefer Manga

snoopy 2004-05-20 12:38

Stupid question. They're too different to compair. If you want to make a comparison, then compair the manga of a series to the anime of that same series.

Asking which medium is best is like asking if sculpture is a better art form than paint. You'll never get an actual answer.

7thMethuselah 2004-05-20 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy
Stupid question. They're too different to compair. If you want to make a comparison, then compair the manga of a series to the anime of that same series.

Asking which medium is best is like asking if sculpture is a better art form than paint. You'll never get an actual answer.

I disagree, you can compare anime vs manga in general. Sure the result will be different for some series but in general ppl will either prefer manga or anime. Personally I prefer the manga, simply because the manga allows for good detailed explanation of the story and characters while the anime often has only limited time to get into those kinda issues.

Soconfused 2004-05-20 21:11

I prefer manga over anime (with a few exeptions). The story is usually more fleshed out and I like the more detailed art. comedy manga are also more funny IMO, because you can read over every moment as many times as you want. Manga rocks anime so hard.............. :fingers:

Lunchboxx 2004-05-20 21:15

wow Im the only one that voted anime so far...hehe.

I do enjoy manga and i think sometimes the manga is better then the anime*cough*Naruto*cough*, but as long as its done well I think I would prefer anime.

I think for action anime is deffently better for obvious reasons, but I also think its better for drama as well becuase it can show the characters emotions and expressions better and also tell there thoughts just as good as manga.

of course the above only really applies if the anime stays true to the manga, witch in alot of cases it doesn't and often ends in the anime not being as good, but sometimes being differnt and just as good or better.....this is really a hard question to ask becuase its differnt at least for me for every series....but I enjoy watching anime more then reading manga.

Kyuven 2004-05-20 21:22

i read manga for story
i watch anime for action/visuals and sound
i agree with Snoopy, they're too different
i didn't vote ^_^

Soconfused 2004-05-20 21:26

The only thing that is really better in anime is action. It can be difficult to potrait good action in a manga, without confusing the reader with what's going on. for some reason, the full metal panic manga comes to mind with this. I found it difficult to follow what was happening when they fought in the mechs, but maybe it's just me.

Kyuven 2004-05-20 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soconfused
The only thing that is really better in anime is action. It can be difficult to potrait good action in a manga, without confusing the reader with what's going on. for some reason, the full metal panic manga comes to mind with this. I found it difficult to follow what was happening when they fought in the mechs, but maybe it's just me.

agreed.
i've said it before and i'll say it again: Giant Robots and manga don't mix
IMO, Giant robots need to be animated!
strangely enough, fighting manga work well (Naruto, DBZ, etc.)

hunterx 2004-05-20 22:29

manga, but only when the volumes are complete. Nothing sucks more than waiting weekly for 15 pages. So FMA anime over manga, but hxh manga over anime. After I read the naruto manga I stopped watching the anime but I don't regret reading the manga, the anime was going too slowly.

pyu 2004-05-20 22:56

It varies from genre to genre. And of course, the quality of the material you are using to compare. For example, I have found that manga that are released to take advantage of a successful anime series would not be that good in comparison. There are exceptions to this rule -> for example, the Evangelion manga is quite excellent. However, the Stellvia manga (urgh, the drawing style! urg!) that I picked up recently was mediocre at best.

Then there are anime series which are released while the manga is still ongoing. Some manage to rise above themselves while others just plain rot away in the throes of episodic stories and filler material. Disappointing.

yadonashi 2004-05-20 23:28

hmmm...seems like manga will have an unfair advantage since this thread is in the manga section of the forum. I choose manga, Easy to carry around with you and enjoy, and it's easier to get through a series.

-

elihua 2004-05-21 01:27

I actually perfer anime... Though the stuff they do to fit the story into episodes or the filler they stuff in to make it longer can be annoying sometimes. And better art is always good. Things just seem better executed in manga a lot of the time, I guess. The problem is my brain just seems to have a hard time soaking in the still pictures. A book I can read and everything goes on in my head. Anime I can watch and everything goes on in front of me. But when there's a picture already there, it just stays still. I haven't read too much manga, though, so maybe I will get more used to it. But whatever I perfer, it's still fun to have different versions of a story.

Lunchboxx 2004-05-21 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by yadonashi
hmmm...seems like manga will have an unfair advantage since this thread is in the manga section of the forum. I choose manga, Easy to carry around with you and enjoy, and it's easier to get through a series.

-

I didn't even notice that before(just got to it from the new posts button).....maby it should be moved to General Discussion

Key 2004-05-21 03:26

Since I don't really watch anime anymore... I guess manga wins by default.

raikage 2004-05-21 10:24

You can't watch anime on the bus (well, I guess you could, but then your portable DVD player might be jacked)

You can't get together with your friends and sit around a manga (well, I guess you could, but it'd be kind of boring/really weird)

If you're comparing a series that has already ended, then you can fly through the manga, while you're stuck at whatever pace the animators decide to give you.

The manga is closer to the vision of the creator. The anime is an adaptation.

The anime has music and you can actually assign voices to the faces.

Considering how many manga come out, and how many anime come out, we can assume (maybe incorrectly) that the anime is based off the more popular/better manga, so you know that the anime comes from the better stuff (I guess).

I like both, but I prefer manga.

7thMethuselah 2004-05-21 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by raikage
If you're comparing a series that has already ended, then you can fly through the manga, while you're stuck at whatever pace the animators decide to give you.
.

Actually that's not so, you can easilly skip to the part you wanna see, I often rewatch certain episodes and skip the less interesting pieces, Naruto for example, just skip the chat and get straigth to the action.


Quote:

Originally Posted by raikage
The manga is closer to the vision of the creator. The anime is an adaptation.
.

This all depends : Most anime are adapted from popular manga but the other way around exists as well, in essence the anime came first and then the manga. And then there is anime which is adapted from games so no manga exists (but I believe they weren't meant to be a part of the poll so I'll leave those aside)

Quote:

Originally Posted by raikage
The anime has music and you can actually assign voices to the faces.

this can either be a good point and a bad point depending on the fact if you like the voices/music or not. personally I love imagining what they ppl in manga would sound like and sometimes i'm really dissapointed with the anime. Also if I see an anime before reading the manga, I feel I'm losing alot of freedom in the image/personality of the characters I create in my mind, since that allready been set by the anime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raikage
I like both, but I prefer manga.

I fully 100% agree with you on this one :)

Immortal Raven 2004-05-21 12:08

I like both, I haven't read too much manga but I voted manga.

ShikaShika 2004-05-21 13:31

For an anime to be on par with the manga it was adapted off, it needs to stick close to the manga. Lots of people would probably fight me on this point but I find it to hold true in most cases. Whenever something is changed or added to the anime it very seldom benefits from it. Added scenes (refered to as filler by some) never "flesh out" the story, because there's no actual story added.

As I see it the advantages to anime is purely in looks. We get motion, color, voices and music.

And the drawbacks are all related to the actual storytelling. The pace is often screwed up by filler. (The Prince of Tennis anime can't even compare to the manga because of this, though it's understandable since they caught up with the manga. Naruto on the other hand...)

Since the anime is aimed towards children we do not only get a lot of violence and nudity cut (and to some that is a big deal), but what's probably more annoying about this is the evened out storytelling. The creators of the anime often decides that certain characters should be given more time in the anime than they had in the manga. Apart from Konohamaru in Naruto, Sakura is another example. Since she's "one of the main characters" she gets more scenes despite the fact that the mangaka doesn't give her any. During the training between the 3rd exam prels and the 3rd exam we only see her in one short scene in the manga. In the anime she's in every other episode.

As I stated above, if the anime just follows the manga closely it gets all the advantages and none of the drawbacks. (Given that it looks and sounds good, but it usually does.) If not, I'd go with storytelling over visuals anytime.

MangaBoi1989 2004-05-21 14:16

Manga!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raikage
You can't watch anime on the bus (well, I guess you could, but then your portable DVD player might be jacked)

You can't get together with your friends and sit around a manga (well, I guess you could, but it'd be kind of boring/really weird)

If you're comparing a series that has already ended, then you can fly through the manga, while you're stuck at whatever pace the animators decide to give you.

The manga is closer to the vision of the creator. The anime is an adaptation.

The anime has music and you can actually assign voices to the faces.

Considering how many manga come out, and how many anime come out, we can assume (maybe incorrectly) that the anime is based off the more popular/better manga, so you know that the anime comes from the better stuff (I guess).

I like both, but I prefer manga.

well worded, raikage, i totally agree. so....MANGA RULES Anime. (since 99% of all Anime came from popular Manga....)

snoopy 2004-05-21 18:13

=__= And where did you pull that statistic out of, fanboi?

My favorite animes are almost all original stories. Probably because I just don't watch animes from mangas that I've read, and if I like an anime from a manga I haven't read then I just go read the manga. Then there are the animes made from mangas that suck... doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen. Anyway, at least 1 or 2 shows every season are not from mangas. And generally all mangas adapted from anime suck. Terribly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.