AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fullmetal Alchemist (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Official FMA character names in English (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=15944)

Yebyosh 2004-06-21 23:18

Official FMA character names in English
 
I'm bored... so I've gathered all the official names in print.

Official sources (in descending priority of override top to bottom):
1. The Manga & the Perfect Guide Book
2. Sony @ http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation/hagaren/
3. The Anime & its DVDs
5. Animage (an anime guide, ala TV Guide)
5. NewType (same as Animage but uses less English names)

So let's start off.

The Elrics
Edward Elric (All)
Alphonse Elric (All)
Trisha Elric (Sony, DVD)
Hohemheim Elric (Anime)

The Rockbells
Winry Rockbell (All)
Pinako Rockbell (Sony)
Sara Rockbell (Anime)
Den (DVD)

The Curtis & gang
Izumi Curtis (Manga, Sony, DVD)
Sigu Curtis (Perfect Guide Book, Sony, DVD)

Meisun (Sony, DVD)

Our local Scooby gang
Roy Mustang (All)
Riza Hawkeye (All)

Alex Louis Armstrong (All)
Jean Havoc (Sony), Jan Havoc (Animage)
- Jean = French, Jan = Danish, same pronunciation same connatation. I would take this discrepancy under the same reasoning between "Brandon" & "Blandon" :p
Heymans Breda (Sony, DVD)
Vato Falman (Sony, DVD)
Kain Fuery (Sony, DVD)

The Hughes
Maes Hughes (All)
Glacier Hughes (Sony, DVD)
Elicia Hughes (Sony, DVD)

Other military folk
King Bradley (All), Fuhrer (Anime), President (Anime)
- a curiousity in terms that he seems to have two official ranks. But easily explained. Fuhrer is his rank as the Commander in Chief of the military. President is his office when in the position of leader of the country (for non-military policies).
Basque Grand (Sony, DVD)
Kimblee (Animage, NewType)
Frank Archer (Animage, NewType)

Maria Ross (All)
Denny Brosh (Sony, DVD)

Tim Marcoh (All)

Sheska (Sony, DVD)

The Homunculi known as Sins (in order of appearance)
Lust
Gluttony
Envy
Sloth
Greed
Wrath

Greed's Chimerae
Martel (DVD)
Roa (DVD)
Dolcetto (DVD)

Ishuvaruns (Ishuvaru is a romaji, not the actual English name)
Scar (All)
Rick (Sony, DVD)
Leo (Sony, DVD)

Episode 1
Rose (Sony, DVD)
Cornello (Sony, DVD)
Cray (Sony, DVD)

Episode 4
Majhal (Sony, DVD)
Clause (Sony, DVD)

Episode 5
Bald (Sony, DVD)

The Tuckers
Shou Tucker (Sony, DVD)
Nina Tucker (Sony, DVD)
Alexander (Sony, DVD)

Episode 8
Barry the Chopper (Sony, DVD)

Episode 9 @ Youswell
Yoki (Sony, DVD)
Lyra (Sony, DVD)
Halling (Sony, DVD)
Khayal (DVD)

Episode 10 @ Aquroya
Clara aka Siren (Sony, DVD)

Episode 11
Russell Tlingum/Tringum (Sony/DVD)
Fletcher Tlingum/Tringum (Sony/DVD)
Nash Tlingum (Sony, DVD)
Mugear (Sony), Mugwar (DVD)
Belsio (Sony, DVD)
Elisa (Sony, DVD)

Episode 26 @ Rush Valley
Paninya (Sony, DVD)
Dominic LeCoulte (Sony, DVD)

Geography
Amestris (Manga)
Aorugo (Manga)
Aquroya (Anime only)
Central City (Manga)
Creta (Manga)
Dublith (Manga)
Drachma (Manga)
Youswell (Manga)
East City (Manga)
South City (Manga)
New Optain (Manga)
Resembool (Anime)
Rush Valley (Manga)
Xing (Manga)

Yebyosh 2004-07-04 21:33

Sheska (the Librarian with super memory), Tim Marcoh (the Crystal Alchemist), Pinako and the guards of the Elrics (Ross & Brosh) added to the list.

Yuruke 2004-07-04 22:17

Just a little side note... I used to think that Lieutenant Ross was a guy. Why? Cuz Ross doesn't really look like a girl with that uniform on. Riza does. Thats what confused me about it, and it wasn't until the 5th lab eppy that I noticed that Ross was a gal.

Another question on the scooby doo gang. I know who havoc is, riza is and mustang, but not sure on the others. Fuery is the orange hair dude right? What about the white hair dude and the dude with the glasses? Just a little confused on that. Also, was Brosch the guy who was with Ross when they were guarding the Elrics?

Yebyosh 2004-07-04 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuruke
Another question on the scooby doo gang. I know who havoc is, riza is and mustang, but not sure on the others. Fuery is the orange hair dude right? What about the white hair dude and the dude with the glasses? Just a little confused on that. Also, was Brosch the guy who was with Ross when they were guarding the Elrics?

Falman is the tall lanky guy with some white hair.
Fuery is the short spiky haired guy wearing glasses.
Breda is the plump fellow with some orange hair.

Brosh (no 'c') is the guy seen together with Ross.

Gravi-T 2004-07-05 08:40

Haha. So that's what you do when you're bored? :D

Yebyosh 2004-07-05 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravi-T
Haha. So that's what you do when you're bored? :D

Yip :heh: But now that it's completed for the moment, what am I going to do in my boredom :heh:

Gravi-T 2004-07-07 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Yip :heh: But now that it's completed for the moment, what am I going to do in my boredom :heh:

You should draw alchemical circles and post them here! :)

Yebyosh 2004-07-15 09:43

Ha! Found the official English name for the Elrics' hometown.
It's Resembool.

Proof:
Anime Episode 03, 16:29, second sentence on top left of the envelop Roy Mustang holds up.

Wonder which fansub group got it right then...

Fighter Volk 2004-07-15 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Ha! Found the official English name for the Elrics' hometown.
It's Resembool.

Proof:
Anime Episode 03, 16:29, second sentence on top left of the envelop Roy Mustang holds up.

Wonder which fansub group got it right then...

Sweet! The answer to all the mysteries! :D

Resembool it is.

Yondaime 2004-07-15 20:15

Anyone know Izumi's husband's official english name? Is it Shigu? Sig? something else? haha thanks!

- Yondaime

Yebyosh 2004-07-15 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yondaime
Anyone know Izumi's husband's official english name? Is it Shigu? Sig? something else? haha thanks!

- Yondaime

Shigu is the romaji pronunciation. Whether it is Sig, Shig, Thig or whatever in English, there's no official source stating so yet. For all we know, it could be just plain Shigu (like Izumi is Izumi).

GokuSongoku 2004-07-16 04:12

Jean Havoc (Sony), Jan Havoc (Animage)
- Jean = French, Jan = Danish, same pronunciation same connatation. I would take this discrepancy under the same reasoning between "Brandon" & "Blandon"

What does Denmark have too do with FMA

Tenma 2004-07-22 12:04

Did anyone else notice that when they gave Ed the title Full Metal Alchemist, they spelled it Full Metall Alchemist?

_Sin_ 2004-07-22 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GokuSongoku
What does Denmark have too do with FMA

FMA plays in Europe and Denmark is in Europe?

Yebyosh 2004-07-31 06:10

Just bought the Perfect Guide Book. Since this is an Arakawa-sensei straight to book publication, it is his/her definitive FMA source.

Pretty good information inside, including the English name for Izumi's hubbie!!!

He's Sigu!!! S-I-G-U.

Pity still no spelling of Ishuvaru, Ishbal, Ishval, Ishubal.....

Melazoma 2004-07-31 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Just bought the Perfect Guide Book. Since this is an Arakawa-sensei straight to book publication, it is his/her definitive FMA source.

Pretty good information inside, including the English name for Izumi's hubbie!!!

He's Sigu!!! S-I-G-U.

Pity still no spelling of Ishuvaru, Ishbal, Ishval, Ishubal.....

Well this is pure conjecture on my part but recently any B/V sounds have been somewhat distinguished by the usages of ブ (Bu)/ ヴ (Vu) as opposed of the use of ブ for everything Bu and Vu.

So it may be safe to assume that what's written as イシュヴァール would at least get romanized back to Ishuvaru--with a v. Since there's a "ー" between ヴァール there's got to be an extra a or r in there to fill in the drag-along. In any case, I'm pretty sure there's a V in the romanization of イシュヴァール :)

Yebyosh 2004-07-31 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melazoma
Well this is pure conjecture on my part but recently any B/V sounds have been somewhat distinguished by the usages of ブ (Bu)/ ヴ (Vu) as opposed of the use of ブ for everything Bu and Vu.

So it may be safe to assume that what's written as イシュヴァール would at least get romanized back to Ishuvaru--with a v. Since there's a "ー" between ヴァール there's got to be an extra a or r in there to fill in the drag-along. In any case, I'm pretty sure there's a V in the romanization of イシュヴァール :)

Yep, it's a 'v'. Which is why I wonder why some subs are calling it Ishbal in the first place *shrug*

Feral 2004-07-31 18:34

Good thing all the orginal names are already English/Germanic, I wouldn't want Ed and Al to become Marshall and BillyJoe :p

XenWarrior 2004-08-02 13:21

I hope they don't go with Lyra. That's not a name. Lyla is though.

Rattus 2004-08-03 10:00

Lyra is a name (haven't you read His Dark Materials?) named after the Lyla star constellation (which contains VEGA, if anyone cares). :eek: "Lyla" is usually spelt "Lila", (unless you're a porn star for some reason :-\ )


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.