AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Interesting article on Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=16799)

Sakaki 2004-07-06 21:21

Interesting article on Anime
 
An interesting article on anime from the Japan Times.

Kind of ties in with the "Sad State of Anime" thread.

"Exporting animation a huge Japanese success story"

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20040707f1.htm

Quote:

The U.S. market for made-in-Japan animation was estimated at $4.36 billion in 2002, 3.2 times the value of Japanese exports of steel products to the U.S., JETRO said

Karma 2004-07-06 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakaki
An interesting article on anime from the Japan Times.

Kind of ties in with the "Sad State of Anime" thread.

"Exporting animation a huge Japanese success story"

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20040707f1.htm

Cool article. I think it's good that the government is kinda supporting this stuff. Well, if they gain money they'll support ANYTHING. That's about it, but weird!! our ages are backwards!! How cool.....my birthday is in a couple weeks though, so then it'll change.

kamij0 2004-07-07 01:21

This could mean that in near future, most animes are gonna be licensed before they are subbed due to the recognition of anime in the states

Aquatic Fox 2004-07-07 08:51

Programs like that will mean more anime :) , but fansubbing will take a hit with the assumed quicker and quicker licensing. :sad:

Shadowlord 2004-07-07 09:24

2 trillian yen = $1,843,487,840.000000 U.S. thats quite a bit of money made from 1 series, even if it was immensly popular.

Lord Raiden 2004-07-07 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquatic Fox
Programs like that will mean more anime :) , but fansubbing will take a hit with the assumed quicker and quicker licensing. :sad:

No it won't. The focus of fansubbing will simply change. You'll end up getting less and less honest "sub only until licenced then buy the DVD's" honest fansub groups in favor of leach groups who will fansub everything regardless if it's licenced or not. Places like AnimeSuki will evolve from an unlicenced anime distribution and community site to purely an anime community site with no downloads for the fans. Fans will then be reliant on places like kazaa, eDonkey, boxtorrents, suprnova, or whatever sites happen to be out there at the time if they wish to continue their "try before you buy" downloading of new anime series. Also, most major Anime sites won't go away either. The only thing that will change in the online anime world is the community dynamic. Socially, fansubs will be reduced to the same level of social taboo as bootlegging and not the wonderful "try before you buy - support the studios" community it is now. Sure, there's fansub leach groups and sites out there now, but that's to be expected. The positive side of this is that honest fansub groups outweigh the leach groups by a factor of 9 to 1 last I checked.

Fansubbing will never go extinct. It will simply change and adapt.

Aquatic Fox 2004-07-07 10:13

What I meant when I said "Take a hit" that places that distribute unlicenced anime will no longer provide downloads, regardless of its adaptation it would still be going more underground and less credible than AS. Since I as a rule refrain from DLing series that are licenced, as some other anime fans do, it would be a "hit" to both the subbers that want to contiune subbing unlicenced series and the fans that would have more trouble getting it. Especially as companies are beginning to sue everything in view.

Biohazard 2004-07-07 11:02

Well, i think this is extremly bad for foreigners like myself.

If the series is licensed it will be harder to get, and it takes ages until someone releases it over here in germany. So i would have either get it of the unhonest subbing groups ( but it would be still legal for me i guess, because they are not licensed in germany )... or import the DVD's at a immensly high cost that i most likly couldn't carry... *sigh*

And it will probably sky-high the amount of bootlegged dvds sold over eBay etc.

_Sin_ 2004-07-07 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazard
Well, i think this is extremly bad for foreigners like myself.

If the series is licensed it will be harder to get, and it takes ages until someone releases it over here in germany. So i would have either get it of the unhonest subbing groups ( but it would be still legal for me i guess, because they are not licensed in germany )... or import the DVD's at a immensly high cost that i most likly couldn't carry... *sigh*

And it will probably sky-high the amount of bootlegged dvds sold over eBay etc.

Das haste halt davon, wenn Du in Deutschland lebst. :p

We seem to neglect one important fact though: There are positive consequences that come with the rising popularity of animes:
+ more anime will be sold --> anime can be offered cheaper
+ competition between studios--> better VA's and subbers
+ since the USA "dictates" nearly every new trend, other Western countries will follow suit and license animes themselves; I mean it works with music, fashion and movies, why not with anime?

And so on and so on ^_^

Lord Raiden 2004-07-07 18:30

Nein! Es gibt zu viel gutes Bier dort! ;)

Actually, I think that since the biggest source of english subbed anime is america, then like anything that's been banned here, it will simply find a new home in another country and continue perty much unchanged. :)

SPINAL-BRAIN 2004-07-07 20:22

They could have maid more if they were to rectify against the issue of censoring gentiles...God how horrible these models look without their lower body parts in the Sexy Beach 2, wouldn't you agree???

Phantom Blade 2004-12-26 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Nein! Es gibt zu viel gutes Bier dort! ;)

Actually, I think that since the biggest source of english subbed anime is america, then like anything that's been banned here, it will simply find a new home in another country and continue perty much unchanged. :)

Im thinking maybe if too much anime is liscenced in America the fansubs will change from English subs to maybe German, Dutch, French, or Korean. Since Korea and France does plenty of liscencing themselves it would evolve to German or Dutch. So ppl like me would have to either buy American DVDS (at least i live here) order Krn ones or learn German or Dutch. I dont think German subs would be illegal when only America liscences it.
or u can just learn Japanese.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.