AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   XenoSaga II (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=22583)

|Aion| 2004-10-21 11:39

XenoSaga II
 
Just watched the e3 trailer(yea i know its been out for awhile) anyways, it made me wanna play the game even more now. So does anyone know of a release date for the U.S. I hate it that all the best games are over there for a long time before they come here, and some of them never even get a U.S. release. but we know that there will be one for XS II, cause the first one sold like crazy.

Avrin 2005-01-04 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Aion|
Just watched the e3 trailer(yea i know its been out for awhile) anyways, it made me wanna play the game even more now. So does anyone know of a release date for the U.S. I hate it that all the best games are over there for a long time before they come here, and some of them never even get a U.S. release. but we know that there will be one for XS II, cause the first one sold like crazy.

Feb 15th 2005

mxg 2005-01-04 16:17

LOl im not even finished with my copy which i bought like 2 yrs ago lol i better get busy

wsheit 2007-08-26 18:03

Hey!...question- I've heard that Xenosaga II isn't all that good, and I won't say I was a huge fan of the first game. Is it worth playing through the second game to get to the third? And...does anybody know where I might find a good plot summary of the first game (rather than having to replay it or read the game script)?

Kisuke06 2007-08-26 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsheit (Post 1116133)
Hey!...question- I've heard that Xenosaga II isn't all that good, and I won't say I was a huge fan of the first game. Is it worth playing through the second game to get to the third? And...does anybody know where I might find a good plot summary of the first game (rather than having to replay it or read the game script)?

True, most of people say that Xenosaga II is the worst(but that does not mean it's bad). But I must say that I think the battle system in Xenosaga II is the best of the 3 games.

In my opinion: Xenosaga I > Xenosaga III > Xenosaga II

And if you want to understand the story you have to play the second game. This story is already very complicated, if you haven't played one of the games you won't understand a thing.

About summaries, in Xenosaga III you have a GIANT database, with a LOT of information about basically everything in the series. In fact, there you have a summary of the first and the second game, here it is:

Spoiler for summary:

the.Merines 2007-08-26 20:19

I'd have to agree with Kisuke06. If you have any intention to play Episode III, play II. Even though the story focuses mostly on Jr., Gaigun, and Albedo's backstory, there's a lot of other stuff going on which is important to the overall story and will make things much more clear as you play through III.

grey_moon 2007-08-26 21:02

@Kisuke06 - Thank you I've always wondered how much of the games the anime covered

darkchibi07 2007-08-27 01:07

Though I have to say the English voice acting on the new VAs like Shion and KOS-MOS for episode II REALLY dropped the ball compared to Episode I which was disappointing. Thank GOD Episode III was a huge improvement of that. :p

SeijiSensei 2007-08-27 08:55

One of the good things about ep 2 is that it's shorter than 1 or 3 so you don't have to listen to those annoying VAs very long. I didn't really like how they remade the character models for Shion and Momo either. I liked Shion as a meganekko (I like meganekko characters in general), and Momo was transformed from a Chiyo-chan styled character into something much more mature. At least they stopped appealing to the pedo crowd and didn't show her panties again after ep 1.

Like Kisuke, I'd rank them 1 > 3 > 2.

darkchibi07 2007-08-27 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 1117104)
At least they stopped appealing to the pedo crowd and didn't show her panties again after ep 1.

Uhhh, well during the gameplay in Episode III, if you make MOMO you lead character and the camera shows her back, her skirt does fly a little bit when she runs to point you "can" see them! :heh::uhoh:

creb 2012-07-22 00:03

I just finished replaying the entire Xenosaga series. What a great classic JRPG; it doesn't get much better than this for the story-driven sub-genre, with major emphasis on story-driven, as opposed to gameplay-driven.

I also think Episode 2 gets a lot more flak than it should. The combat is the best/hardest of the entire series, which I think turned a lot of the story-driven players off, whether they admit to that or not. The game, itself, is entirely too short though. Took me 12 hours to basically do a 100% walkthrough. I remember having far more negative feelings towards the game when it was originally released, but that was because I had this expectation of where the story was going after Episode 1, and didn't really care for Jr at all. With all the years that have passed, I'm a lot more forgiving over that aspect.

It's like how I internally raged over Vaan in FF XII when it was released and relegated the game to the nether regions of hell, and then found it to be an excellent game when I replayed it years later and largely ignored Vaan's character.

As for some of the stated reasons that have nothing to do with combat; well, I personally far prefer the aesthetics over #1, though #3 was the best in that regard. I didn't even realize they had changed voice actors until I turned to the internet and read all the faux outrage.

Overall, #3 is still the best game, though it fails in the cutscenes. ie: There are a lot less of them. #2 had Jin's intro, which was awesome enough to carry the game, in that regard, though Jin's 'exit' in #3 might carry more emotional punch. #1 is actually remarkably ugly, even when playing it with all the bells and whistles on the PC.

And, while Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game-emphasis on game, and its story is surprisingly good, it still wasn't remotely as ambitious story-wise, and so I still hold Xenosaga (and to an extent, Xenogears) as the better games from a story-perspective.

Here's hoping Monolith comes out with a future JRPG that combines the loving attention they gave to gameplay in Chronicles with the epic/ambitious attempt at a story they did in Xenosaga.

Von Himmel 2012-07-22 00:07

The reason why I never finished II was because the battle was too hard for me :( I even tried using codebreaker and stuffs like that to finish it but still stuck at ELS battles >_>; I can't believe how much I sucked at playing these games :heh:

..Well because of that, I missed many things in II and got confused in III. Luckily, a magazine in my country had an article about what happened during I-II so I could learned a lot from there.

Quote:

Overall, #3 is still the best game, though it fails in the cutscenes. ie: There are a lot less of them. #2 had Jin's intro, which was awesome enough to carry the game, in that regard, though Jin's 'exit' in #3 might carry more emotional punch. #1 is actually remarkably ugly, even when playing it with all the bells and whistles on the PC.
III is undoubtedly the best. Shame that my friends won't play it because they think I-II sucks..especially compared to Xenogears :(

frubam 2012-07-22 19:56

Ha! I see I'm not the only one who gave up finishing II. I didn't have a hard time with it, I just HATED the char models(ESP KOSMOS) and the focus on Jr and Albedo was uninteresting.

III was def the best, but its highest stand-out moment to me wasn't Jin's death, but how hard Allen worked to win Shion affections, esp over Kevin near the end. Generally, because of his lack of skill/power, you'd think he'd be delegated to some background role, but the way he stood up to Kevin while being completely powerless and convinced Shion to come back to the party's side was nothing short of remarkable. I'm glad that all that motivation from Jin and Jr. didn't go to waste =03.

JohnNiles 2012-07-22 20:21

I'm yet another person that never finished II, and because III uses save files from II (swimsuit?), I never started III. One of these days... -_-

creb 2012-07-23 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnNiles (Post 4268275)
I'm yet another person that never finished II, and because III uses save files from II (swimsuit?), I never started III. One of these days... -_-

Gamefaqs has a 'Saves' section for most older games, including Xenosaga II. A little googling should show you how to use them. While I still think you should play it, don't let not having a Xenosaga II save keep you from playing III.


Quote:

Originally Posted by frubam (Post 4268230)
III was def the best, but its highest stand-out moment to me wasn't Jin's death, but how hard Allen worked to win Shion affections, esp over Kevin near the end. Generally, because of his lack of skill/power, you'd think he'd be delegated to some background role, but the way he stood up to Kevin while being completely powerless and convinced Shion to come back to the party's side was nothing short of remarkable. I'm glad that all that motivation from Jin and Jr. didn't go to waste =03.

I'm just not a huge fan of the Allens of the world, though I do give him props for not giving up. I just loved the Jin/Shion story, even if so much of it was basically off-screen. I like to believe if Xenosaga had gone six games like it was originally planned, Jin/Pelligri/Margulis/etc would have had more of their stories told, but like almost everything in the story, what we did get out of the three games was enough to make these characters quite tragic. And, I love tragedy. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.