AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best New Anime of 2004 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=25155)

mintyfresh 2004-12-12 16:43

Best Anime of 2004

Well the year's winding down (only 19 days left and counting), so just out of curiosity, what did you think was the hands down best anime of the year?

I'm sure this isn't the first time a thread like this's appeared in these boards.. so I'm guessing you all know the drill. ^^;

To start off, I have to say either Koi Kaze or Genshiken (even though I'm not that big a fan of it... something about it still makes it seem slightly appealing).

Entropy 2004-12-12 16:59

GITS:SAC 2nd Gig.

Mb81 2004-12-12 17:14

FullMetalAlchemist

7thMethuselah 2004-12-12 20:02

nr 1 spot for 2004 : Ghost in the Shell : Stand-Alone Complex 2nd Gig : the animation, sound, the world in which it takes place, the story, the characters, basically everything is good about it :)

Runner's up :
Maria-sama ga Miteru & Full Metal Alchemist & KgNE (added this one, I thought it was 2003 :p )

Lina Inverse 2004-12-12 20:44

Now that's a very tough decision... :hmm:
Right now I'd probably say My Hime.

Fighter Volk 2004-12-12 21:39

There were some great series this year - either starting in 2004 or continuing from '03. Among them are GitS SAC 2nd GiG, Fullmetal Alchemist, GunGrave, Paranoia Agent, Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, KURAU Phantom Memory, and Samurai 7. There are definitely more, but I shouldn't even get started. Recent excellent series include Bleach and Gankutsuou, and above all, Fantastic Children.

Inuzuka 2004-12-12 21:44

GITS: SAC 2nd Gig, runner up: FMA.

Cornel 2004-12-12 21:49

Genshiken and Blench are my favourite two animes. I heard that Gantz is good, and from what I read of the manga, it is an interesting story line.

Thelastguardian 2004-12-12 22:06

The easiest thing for me to do would be going to this link and sort thru the list.

Elfen Lied
Monster
Galaxy Angel 4 - :D (I am probably the only one who think this way -> long time GA fan)

After I went through the list of 2004 anime series, I relize I only picked three...
compare to 10+ last year

JoeStoppable 2004-12-12 22:07

My personal favorites of this year are Full Metal Alchemist, KGNE, Genshiken (mainly cause its about otaku's like me), Bleach, Gankutsu (the count of monte cristo), and finally Ghost in the Shell : Stand-Alone Complex.

But out of those I would have to say that the top three would be

3. KGNE
2. Genshiken
Number 1 anime for me of 2004 is a tie between Bleach and Gankutsu.

I love the story line in Gankutsu and the animation is a new style for anime. I like the voices too. I hate when animes have like really wack or annoying voices in them.

Bleach is just freakin awsome. Voices fit perfectly, story is just kick a**. Death gods and hollows OMG! Animation is pretty much same as all animes but still awsome. I love the designs they made for the hollows.

ramune 2004-12-12 22:28

Definitely School Rumble; in fact, I think it is the best anime, period.

Other top ones are Elfen Lied and Genshiken.

DarkLordDragon 2004-12-12 23:59

Well the best anime in 2004 is none other than Saint Seiya Movie 5 It's really the best

KT Kore 2004-12-13 03:13

Madlax and Kurau: Phantom Memory.

NoSanninWa 2004-12-13 03:52

Maybe in another day or two when a few more anime have been nominated I'll add a poll with them to this thread. That oughta be fun.

Meanwhile, my nominations for Best Anime of 2004 are Fantastic Children and Otogizoushi. They are both thought provoking and beautiful shows with striking animation, an involving plot and interesting characters.

PS. To keep the playing field level, I am only going to be including TV series in the poll, not movies or OVAs.

Also, I will be counting series that started during Winter 2003/2004 and ending with shows that started in Fall 2004. This is because the later shows will be too late to judge the few episodes seen before the end of the year. (Winter season begins 12/26) If you have any doubts about when a show started you should probably check ANN Encyclopedia

People should also be aware that Fullmetal Alchemist began in October '03 so it started in the Fall season. Therefore it is ineligible for this poll as it would have been on the "Best anime of 2003" poll if there was such a thread. :heh:

Bullsquat 2004-12-13 03:57

While I haven't talked about it much since I'm waiting for the show to conclude, my favorite anime of 2004 is the Melody of Oblivion. I love this kind of anime. Just as I love Gilgamesh in 2003. The weirdness and subtlety is really fascinating. I've only seen up to episode 12 and I'm waiting for the last episode to be subbed so I can watch it all in one night. I just can't stand the suspense after finishing an episode.

Other shows that I totally enjoy above others are Jubei-chan 2 and Bleach.

Apart from that I've liked a lot of the animes from this year. And there are plenty more I haven't seen yet. I'll definitely check out Elfen Lied and Kurau: Phantom Memory once they're available.

Blaat 2004-12-13 05:28

Wouldn't it be better NoSanninWa if we had multiple categories for example: "Best anime that ended in 2004" (e.g. Full Metal Alchemist could fit in this category), "Best anime that started in 2004" (e.g. for on going shows that started in 2004 and will be ending in 2005 or ongoing, Monster, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY comes to mind), "Best anime of 2004" (simply shows that started and ended within the year e.g. Maria-sama Ga Miteru, Otogizoushi).

Of course I am realising this will be hard to implement in a poll without using multiple threads :p

NoSanninWa 2004-12-13 05:50

It's not important enough to get that crazy over it. Especially since it would require multiple threads. If we get crazy about it, it should actually be less fun. There's just going to be a single question: "Best New Anime of 2004"

I think it is enough to count the new animes that actually started this year.

bluemist 2004-12-13 07:16

Technically, I would pick My Hime. It sort of has almost 'anything' that anime could possibly have. Comedy, action, drama, fanservice, moe~, mecha, ecchi, and different kinds of bishoujos... you name it.

But personally, I vote School Rumble for the best anime of 2004. Why? Because it is something else. Well it also has the same stuff like comedy, action, some drama, and some fanservice, but for me, moe~~~ counts more than anything else! And spoofs too. Overall enjoyment is guaranteed.

Burner of Anime 2004-12-13 08:46

I have 3 candidates for best series ending 2004. FMA, Kaleidostar and Godannar. Chrno Crusade would have been here if it bothered with a decent ending. :(

For the really good shows: Paranoia Agent, Elfen Lied, Monster, Gankutsuou, Samurai7, Yugo the Negotiator, Ghost in the Shell 2nd and Melody of Oblivion. I'll be damned happy if all can win.

Comedy gold: Gokusen, School Rumble, Keroro Gunso, 2x2 Ninnin ga Shinobuden.

OVA Category only: Macross Zero, Re: Cutie Honey and a little known gem called Azusa will help. Edit: forgot Windy Tale :D

Sephon 2004-12-13 09:12

1. Bleach - 1. Aishiteruze Baby
3. Grenadier :P