AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Disney buying Pixar for $7.4 billion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=28230)

Catgirls 2006-01-24 16:50

Disney buying Pixar for $7.4 billion

I thought this might be of interest and maybe worthy of discussion. Just breaking today...

Disney buying Pixar for $7.4 billion
Quote:

Deal brings Steve Jobs into powerful role at media conglomerate

LOS ANGELES - The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday it is buying longtime partner Pixar Animation Studios Inc. for $7.4 billion in a deal that could restore Disney’s clout in animation while vaulting Pixar CEO Steve Jobs into a powerful role at the media conglomerate.

Disney announced the deal for the maker of the blockbuster films “Toy Story and “Finding Nemo” after the close of trading.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.

(read...)
Not a total shock as this story has been developing for a few days (maybe weeks) now, but I (for one) didn't think the deal would go through. Looks like it has. Is this good or bad for Pixar? At the time I'm posting this, Pixar stock (PIXR) is off 1.2% (down .70 to 57.57) and Disney (DIS) is up 1.8% (plus .47 to 25.99). I'd be shocked if the stocks moved much in the after hours markets because traders have been speculating about this deal for a while. I'm sure the big moves are done.

It should also be noted, in American media related news, that:

CBS, Warner Bros. forming new TV network
UPN, The WB to cease operations; new broadcaster to go live in fall - (read...)

NoSanninWa 2006-01-24 17:37

Since I haven't been following the developments over the last few days I am a bit shocked. Disney has been refusing to purchase Pixar for years now. For all this time Pixar has been making movies for Disney as part of a multi-movie deal and offering themselves. Despite their proven track record, Disney has refused to accept the offer of purchase.

I wonder what changed at Disney that they finally decided to buy Pixar?

Dark` 2006-01-24 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Since I haven't been following the developments over the last few days I am a bit shocked. Disney has been refusing to purchase Pixar for years now. For all this time Pixar has been making movies for Disney as part of a multi-movie deal and offering themselves. Despite their proven track record, Disney has refused to accept the offer of purchase.

I wonder what changed at Disney that they finally decided to buy Pixar?

Maybe because their independent attempt at a CG movie, Chicken Little, didn't do as well as previous Pixar films such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc? They were probably hoping to push their own line of CG work starting with Chicken Little if they hit it big...but [from what I heard] it wasn't all that great (in comparison to previous Pixar films that is), so they probably thought it would be better to play it safe and keep Pixar at their side. Well...that's my assumption anyways (that I formed just now actually).

But I haven't been following the development of anything between Pixar and Disney (except that Pixar was going on its own and Disney was trying its hand at making a CG movie) so this came as quite a surprise.

NoSanninWa 2006-01-24 18:18

Good point. They've been counting on being able to create a computer animation studio as good as Pixar. I guess we should be happy that they realize their failure. :heh: Chicken Little must have convinced them that Pixar is indispensible for their future.

AnimePlus 2006-01-24 19:19

Does this mean a merger between Mac and Disney?

NightbatŪ 2006-01-24 19:38

Heh, as if Disney's creativity will improve on the type of animation they use
instead of blaming their outdated staff, they blame their outdated animation

Sazelyt 2006-01-24 20:37

The CEO (Eisner I guess) of Disney stepped down recently, I believe. That might be one of the reasons for the change of opinions.

But, instead of buying they could have made a deal as before (Disney was doing the distribution, I guess ).

Kinny Riddle 2006-01-25 07:27

Now that's kind of surprising, Disney and Pixar weren't exactly on good terms for the last few years.

IMHO, if it weren't for Pixar's CG movies, Disney would really be struggling.

They had a deal with Disney back in the 1990s to make 5 movies for them which are released theatrically, with costs and profits evenly split between them. Toy Story 2 was the catalyst of their disagreement when Disney decided to upgrade it from direct-to-video into a theatrical release and ignored Pixar's request to count Toy Story 2 as part of the "5 movie" deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar

Sides 2006-01-25 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazelyt
But, instead of buying they could have made a deal as before (Disney was doing the distribution, I guess ).

As far as i understand, Steve Jobs is now part of disney board.
It seems that the reason for disney's move, instead of extending their deal.
I reckon disneys wants to expand their buisnnes into a broader area,
like supporting latest technology for their products (merchandising, movies, etc).

NightbatŪ 2006-01-25 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazelyt
The CEO (Eisner I guess) of Disney stepped down recently, I believe. That might be one of the reasons for the change of opinions.

Well from what I heard Eisner was starting to ram disney into the ground

Ending 2006-01-25 16:40

Well, Disney is Disney and if they can buy some quality into the firm it's all good for them. The change of CEO is also good news, since they need new blood bad -even if one 60-year old fart is replaced by a 50-year old. But, if you look at the stocksmarket, many people are probably thinking the same as I do: a win for Disney, a lost chance for Pixar. They could had taken the market all for themselves, for they had the reputation, money, and skills. Now they are just one part of a huge firm.

Aoie_Emesai 2006-01-26 09:09

I read about that just the other day on CNN. Ah ha, ok I finally found it. But I didn't think it was really much of that big of a news to create a thread about it though. Here's the link, it's old but kind of worth reading since it is old news.

About Pixar & Disney joining, that's totally great. I think that disney has been focusing on children rated films for too long. Look at Pirates Of the Caribbeans, it's a Disney film, rated PG-13 though, but look at the massive attention it got. Then I remember the CG-Film hype, starting with Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Antz, A Bug's Life, Monster Inc, Finding Nemo, and so on and so on. Though I still enjoy the regular non CG movies that Disney makes, especially "The Emperor New Groove", and who doesn't like Aladdin:D. That movie was a totally hilarious movie :heh:(The Emperor's New Groove that is). I enjoy the new CG movies but the classical drawings are great too.

Quote:

CBS, Warner Bros. forming new TV network
UPN, The WB to cease operations; new broadcaster to go live in fall - (read...)
Well I thought this was rather intresting. I've notice that UPN, hasn't been much attention now and if WB and UPN joined up, new programs! ^_^. I hope this works out though, even though I don't watch UPN or WB :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirhe
Well, Disney is Disney and if they can buy some quality into the firm it's all good for them. The change of CEO is also good news, since they need new blood bad -even if one 60-year old fart is replaced by a 50-year old. But, if you look at the stocksmarket, many people are probably thinking the same as I do: a win for Disney, a lost chance for Pixar. They could had taken the market all for themselves, for they had the reputation, money, and skills. Now they are just one part of a huge firm.

They are a monopolized like Wal-Mart, Wirhe. :heh: You don't lose your shares if there's no one to compete with you, eh?

llama 2006-01-26 09:49

I think it was a smart (or perhaps desperate) move on Disney's part. I've been really disappointed with Disney's animated films lately and it has been quite awhile since they've done anything good on their own. I think the Pixar movies have been the only thing that has redeemed them.

I really think they're running out of ideas, seeing as how they're making a sequel to every movie they've ever made and such. I used to really like Disney but their creativity and overall quality just isn't what it used to be. They need a new writing team or something.

Lady Yanami 2006-01-26 10:04

That was probably the best thing for both companies. Plus, maybe Pixar will help Disney not suck so much. I have been totally disappointed in Disney's animated films as well. What Disney has to stop doing is making stupid sequels to their animated films and quit making remakes of things. They need to start actually using their imaginations for once. I'm hoping Pixar will help pull Disney outta that slump so they can start making decent animated films again.

hamiko_san 2006-01-26 12:50

This is awesome, even greater animated movies for us!

OutPhase 2006-01-26 14:06

If this goes through, then we'll get the offical character designs for the next Toy Story Movie that they were planning, and maybe Tim Allen will come back to voice Woody since he refused to when he heard that Disney was making the sequel without Pixar.

NoSanninWa 2006-01-26 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Yanami

That was probably the best thing for both companies. Plus, maybe Pixar will help Disney not suck so much. I have been totally disappointed in Disney's animated films as well. What Disney has to stop doing is making stupid sequels to their animated films and quit making remakes of things. They need to start actually using their imaginations for once. I'm hoping Pixar will help pull Disney outta that slump so they can start making decent animated films again.

Or maybe Disney will help Pixar suck also. Please remember which company took over the other. I hope Disney doesn't restructure Pixar in a bad way.

Ending 2006-01-26 17:39

Quote:

I hope Disney doesn't restructure Pixar in a bad way.
They do not need to do a thing to make it fail: it is enough that the 50-year old fart in the top-office has a selective dementia when it comes to discussing when to publish their latest work. Or forgets to deal with the issues. Such are the problems of old age and experience. :D

NightbatŪ 2006-01-28 07:30

Bambi 2??????:twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

Forget what I said, Disney is DEAD!!!

Lina Inverse 2006-01-28 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Or maybe Disney will help Pixar suck also. Please remember which company took over the other. I hope Disney doesn't restructure Pixar in a bad way.

Yes, I could really see this happen... Disney has such a huge suckage, it would be a wonder if Pixar wouldn't be affected by it. :rolleyes: