AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga & Light Novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Karin / Chibi Vampire (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=30539)

Guido 2006-03-31 16:10

Karin / Chibi Vampire
 
I did a thorough search to find out if someone else reopened the Karin manga thread, after the original was lost due to the Forum Crash of December 2005.

However, no one did so, therefore, I am reopening the thread due that there are several people discussing the manga in the Karin anime thread.

This thread should be used for discussion of both the Chibi Vampire manga and Karin novels only.

TOKYOPOP's official site for Chibi Vampire announced the release date for the first volume slated for April 11th, that's less than two weeks from now.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/400...overone0oy.jpg
This is the official cover for Chibi Vampire #1 by TOKYOPOP.

Though I utterly dislike the font for the title, I do praise them for their choice of purple-wine color for the background.

rooboy 2006-03-31 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooboy666
My copy of Chibi Vampire appears to have the cover on backwards (it's cover is like a normal book, despite the fact that it's unflipped manga), has anyone else seen this, or do I just have a novelty cover?

EDIT: I should clarify that I meant a normal US book.

Quoting from the other thread :)

xris 2006-03-31 17:18

Hmmm, well the image posted above does show the black vertical "Tokyopop" bar on the left side. Usually this bar is on the right side of the book (for unflipped manga at least) so it may be that they have for some reason flipped the cover. I would guess it's just a mistake and that Vol 2 will have the more usual layout.

I notice that Amazon and Barnes&Noble also use the same image, so far I can't find an image for vol 2

Vexx 2006-03-31 17:45

Quick, buy them in large quantity before its corrrected and sell them for huge sums on ebay $$$$ (yeah, yeah, sure, sure)

Well... my local B&N once again shows its inability to keep their shelves current - guess I'll be ordering it online.

Kamui4356 2006-03-31 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx
Quick, buy them in large quantity before its corrrected and sell them for huge sums on ebay $$$$ (yeah, yeah, sure, sure)

Well... my local B&N once again shows its inability to keep their shelves current - guess I'll be ordering it online.

I can't find it either... But that's to be expected for series that aren't negima.:heh: Though if the official release date it april 11th, I'm not worried. Interestingly, Borders seems to have it listed under Karin in their system. In their "title sleuth" kiosk, "Chibi Vampire" turned up no hits, but then I seached for Karin, and found it.

Vexx 2006-03-31 20:30

I probably don't need to say it but make sure its not Kamichama Karin .... I got mixed hits and some confusion when I tried it a few days ago.

Kamui4356 2006-03-31 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx
I probably don't need to say it but make sure its not Kamichama Karin .... I got mixed hits and some confusion when I tried it a few days ago.

It's not, that came up too, and was listed as Kamichama Karin. ;) Plus, the picture of the cover was the same one as in Guido's post, Chibi Vampire title and all.:heh: It just wasn't listed as such. While it's probably an oversight, I'd like to think that someone in the borders distribution network is a fan of the series and didn't like the name change.

Try going to their site and doing an inventory search. http://www.bordersstores.com. Though, on their actual shopping site, the series is listed as Chibi Vampire.

rooboy 2006-03-31 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamui4356
It's not, that came up too, and was listed as Kamichama Karin. ;) Plus, the picture of the cover was the same one as in Guido's post, Chibi Vampire title and all.:heh: It just wasn't listed as such. While it's probably an oversight, I'd like to think that someone in the borders distribution network is a fan of the series and didn't like the name change.

Try going to their site and doing an inventory search. http://www.bordersstores.com. Though, on their actual shopping site, the series is listed as Chibi Vampire.

That might be the coolest thing I've ever heard of.

Oh well, so much for me having one of a thousand or so backwards covered ones. That would have been an interesting conversation point. :)

Vexx 2006-04-06 18:53

Just got my copy of "Chibi Vampire" (urk, I'm going to loathe that rename).

Ok... the jacket and innards reversal is just wierd --- this isn't even like any other Tokyopop series..... Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, for example. Ah well...

Man there's a LOT of ink in this book. :) Just skimmed it:
Much darker look, makes the anime look "Munsters Shiny Bright" in comparision (though I'm still liking the anime). This looks like it'll turn out like Mahoraba in that I'll like both the anime and manga but for different reasons --- best of both worlds.

Wheee, reading material in between judging debate rounds tomorrow.

Kamui4356 2006-04-06 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx
Ok... the jacket and innards reversal is just wierd --- this isn't even like any other Tokyopop series..... Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, for example. Ah well...

It's probably just a printing error that effected the entire first run.

Anyway, I finally got my hands on a copy today. The best part is no winner! It's amazing how much better Karin is without that annoying vampire hunter. :heh: Also, Anju seems more mischievous in the manga. Well, I'm looking foward to more. Now if tokyopop would just call it by it's real name...

rooboy 2006-04-06 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx
Ok... the jacket and innards reversal is just wierd --- this isn't even like any other Tokyopop series..... Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, for example. Ah well...

I think it's just a misprint on this one. Over the last two weeks (I order manga through my local comic shop, so I can't always control when it shows up). I've gotten the new Kare Kano, the new Fruits Basket, Chibi Vampire and the Love Hina Novel. Obviously the Love Hina novel was printed like any other novel, other than that, everything else was covered normally. So I imagine it's like a one time error and future printings of it will be correct.

Village Idiot 2006-04-07 02:10

On the Tokyopop forum, the Admins confirmed that the it was a printing error and they're fixing it.

Diaboso 2006-04-07 08:22

I don't realy care what the name is, but i hope the story is good. I realy like gothic set manga and novals :D

Guido 2006-04-07 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaboso
I don't realy care what the name is, but i hope the story is good. I realy like gothic set manga and novals :D

Well, for staters there aren't much Gothic elements in Karin save for the design of her house, however, the protagonist's little sister, Anju, is one of the best exemplifications of the archetype Gothic Lolita.

yura` 2006-04-09 10:41

hmm... is the Tokyopop translation good? am thinking of starting on the manga as well... personally i've always been more of a manga-addict than an anime one. so i'm just wondering if it's worth investing in buying the manga (despite the awful renaming~)

Diaboso 2006-04-10 10:45

hay if it has any thing to do with vampires that I would say its a gothic noval.

gothic noval is lust a type of setting. not just people in black with lots of makeup!

rooboy 2006-04-10 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaboso
hay if it has any thing to do with vampires that I would say its a gothic noval.

gothic noval is lust a type of setting. not just people in black with lots of makeup!

I 100% agree that gothic is a type of setting. It's not really a type of setting that Karin fits into perfectly. Karin is a typical high school shonen romance, with a "twist" that the girl is sort of a vampire (but not really). While it does have some aspects of gothic settings (namely, a focus on the occult or supernatural, mystery, haunted houses, madness, an Anti-Catholic bent and melodrama) gothic novels almost always feature terror or horror themes, which aren't really part of Karin. If there were actually a recognized "gothic romance" genre (one of those buzzwords that's an oxymoron), then it would belong to that.

That being said, if you're just using gothic in the colloquial sense of "vampire stuff" than, yeah, obviously Karin belongs in it.

rooboy 2006-04-10 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by yura`
hmm... is the Tokyopop translation good? am thinking of starting on the manga as well... personally i've always been more of a manga-addict than an anime one. so i'm just wondering if it's worth investing in buying the manga (despite the awful renaming~)

Well, I don't know what the translation is like, but it was a fairly amusing read. I plan on buying the second volume.

pianocello 2006-04-11 03:18

Just got this. Hilarious!!! I love this. Can't wait for more nosebleeds.:heh:

Vexx 2006-04-11 03:33

I was entertained ... I'll continue buying the manga - I'm kind of interested to see the differences from the anime that Guido has been relating to us.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.