AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Download Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Solution to XP Firewall port problem (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=3152)

SithLord 2003-12-20 16:22

Solution to XP Firewall port problem
 
Surfing around a bit I came across this guide on how to make it possible to connect to remote clients through the XP Firewall:

If you are using a software firewall, then you must also enable incoming connections to be answered by the BitTorrent client program. Note that Windows XP includes a primitive firewall ("Internet Connection Firewall" or ICF) which you may have to configure for BitTorrent. Here are the directions for opening ports in the Windows XP firewall:

1.Open the 'Network Connections' folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connections.)
2.Click the shared connection or the Internet connection that is protected by Internet Connection Firewall, and then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
3.On the Advanced tab, click Settings.
4.For each port you wish to forward, (i.e. 6881, 6882, ... 6889) do the following:


1.On the Services tab, click Add and enter all of the following information:
2.In Description of service, type an easily recognized name for the service, such as "BitTorrent".
3.In Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network, enter 127.0.0.1 (this means "the local machine.")
4.In both External and Internal port number for this service, enter the port number, e.g. 6881.
5.Select TCP, then OK.

I found this information on "Brian Desset's BTFaq" on http://bt.degreez.net/. First enter the homepage and click
"Brian Desset's BTFaq", then "Configuring Your Network for BitTorrent", then "What ports does BitTorrent use? Will it work with a firewall/NAT?". You can find additional info there.

SithLord 2003-12-21 04:28

I'd sure have liked to have this info avaliable in the Bittorrent step by step. It would have saved me a lot of time. Maybe you could add this to the guide so that other people can use it?

On a side note:
I'm no computer technichan so I don't really know what it means to do this. If there seems to be something fishy with the solution please say so.

Flash_Squirrel 2003-12-21 05:33

The XP firewall is meaningless, and therfore it should be closed down for good.
If you really need a firewall, get Zonealarm, its free and its rather good, and you can actually SEE it, its not a presence somewehre on your computer..

Sour-Do 2003-12-21 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
The XP firewall is meaningless, and therfore it should be closed down for good.
If you really need a firewall, get Zonealarm, its free and its rather good, and you can actually SEE it, its not a presence somewehre on your computer..

Yes, it sucks that WinXP's firewall is relatively difficult to configure and is very well hidden in the OS. However, the free version of ZoneAlarm has no option to open listening ports. So if you want the highest BitTorrent download speeds, you will need to shutdown ZoneAlarm anyway when running BitTorrent, which makes it arguably more "meaningless" and less useful than WinXP's built-in firewall, which you can leave enabled once you've properly configured it.

I'm not advocating Microsoft's built-in firewall, but at least you can open the ports that BitTorrent uses, and it's also free. ZoneAlarm Pro has the option to open ports, but the Pro version is not free. Check out my post in this thread for how to open ports with ZoneAlarm Pro. (ZoneAlarm free has no such option.)

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!

Flash_Squirrel 2003-12-22 01:19

Err? No, I have ZoneAlarm and I havent used a single buck (Which makes me think that the version I own its the normal one).
Now, I can use it with BT without a single line of problems, I can download, I *cant* get a single tracker and/or connection error and my DL is always at its max.
Tell me why I should use the Pro (and money) on a thing that have the same functionalities of the one I have.

Its all about the magical "Allow BT to recieve connection fom the Internet?" question! "Remember this option?" Ye~es, and I had no problems since then.

DNE 2003-12-22 07:14

ive closed down my firewal, but still it only runs at around 15-20 kb/s :(

Sour-Do 2003-12-26 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
Its all about the magical "Allow BT to recieve connection fom the Internet?" question! "Remember this option?" Ye~es, and I had no problems since then.

Hm, I'll have to check this again when my free trial period for the Pro version ends... Before, even though I had answered yes and allowed BitTorrent to act both as a client and server, somehow ZoneAlarm free version did not associate ports 6881-etc with BitTorrent, so incoming data on these ports were blocked. And ZoneAlarm free version's logfile recorded the incoming data being blocked as well.

Thanks for input. And BTW, I don't think that it is worthwhile to pay money to use the Pro version either.

-- Sour-Do

Flash_Squirrel 2003-12-26 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sour-Do
Hm, I'll have to check this again when my free trial period for the Pro version ends... Before, even though I had answered yes and allowed BitTorrent to act both as a client and server, somehow ZoneAlarm free version did not associate ports 6881-etc with BitTorrent, so incoming data on these ports were blocked. And ZoneAlarm free version's logfile recorded the incoming data being blocked as well.

Thanks for input. And BTW, I don't think that it is worthwhile to pay money to use the Pro version either.

-- Sour-Do

I use an ancient version of Zonealarm, that might be the overall couse of the problem.

Phatspoonie 2003-12-29 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithLord
2.Click the shared connection or the Internet connection that is protected by Internet Connection Firewall, and then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
3.On the Advanced tab, click Settings.
.

Ya....my problem is that although i see the settings button under the settings, i am unable to click it. any suggestions?

Dalinkwent18 2003-12-30 15:29

trouble installing
 
I don't know if my problem is the firewall on windows xp. Whenever i try and install the bit torrent program i always get an error. The errors i am getting say, "Error opening file for writing" followed by 11 different file names. I try and click on retry but it does not do me any good and when i get to the end of the errors the installer still says that the bit torrent has been installed successfully, but when i look for it, it is not installed.

I'm just trying to get started so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance to anyone who does.

Flash_Squirrel 2003-12-30 16:43

Try a different installer or clear your temp files or pick another directory. There are lots of things you can do, just poke around with different installers.

Dalinkwent18 2003-12-31 12:57

thanks for the time flash_squirrel. I should of done that from the start. I found an installer that works and i am up and running. so thank you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.