AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Excel Saga (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=3220)

Shii 2003-12-21 15:02

Excel Saga
 
Could Excel in Excel Saga be an American?

- She sometimes bursts into English for no apparent reason.
- She acts like a total ditz, which is a typical Japanese stereotype of Americans.
- Her hair is blonde, which is not a characteristic of Asians.

might be the wrong forum >_> sorry

microlith 2003-12-21 23:36

No, she's Japanese.

They like having characters randomly shout english if they can for some reason.

This does not mean there are any communication difficulties, they go to america and have no trouble.

Fronzel 2003-12-22 00:01

Anime often doesn't bother justifying interesting pigmentation. Never mind it.

Tenkoy 2003-12-22 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashibaka
Could Excel in Excel Saga be an American?

- She sometimes bursts into English for no apparent reason.
- She acts like a total ditz, which is a typical Japanese stereotype of Americans.
- Her hair is blonde, which is not a characteristic of Asians.

might be the wrong forum >_> sorry

Also, remember that she went to America in one of the episodes and seemingly didn't fully understand what she was saying in English. Also, as hinted on before on a previous post, saying phrases in English seems to be a type of fad over there.

Keitaro 2003-12-22 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashibaka
typical Japanese stereotype of Americans.
- Her hair is blonde, which is not a characteristic of Asians.

Isn't Excels hair orangie in color and not blond?

Fronzel 2003-12-22 13:50

I've always thought so.

Busaiku Chama 2006-08-12 17:44

A few questions about Excel Saga.
 
I was thinking of purchasing Excel Saga, because I've heard from various people that it is a really good show with some really funny moments.
Since I'd never seen it before I was about to purchase it earlier today when I noticed some things.
For one I noticed that the DVDs have an age rating on 17+ (at least that's what I'm seeing online). So I'm simply pondering what objectionable content is placed within the series that would warrant such a rating?
Another thing is, I recently read on various sites that the voice actor for the main character (in the English dub) was changed before the conclusion of the show. Is the 2nd voice actor drastically noticeable from the 1st or are they similar and basically negligible?
Thanks for the help.

Forbin 2006-08-13 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busaiku Chama
I was thinking of purchasing Excel Saga, because I've heard from various people that it is a really good show with some really funny moments.
Since I'd never seen it before I was about to purchase it earlier today when I noticed some things.
For one I noticed that the DVDs have an age rating on 17+ (at least that's what I'm seeing online). So I'm simply pondering what objectionable content is placed within the series that would warrant such a rating?
Another thing is, I recently read on various sites that the voice actor for the main character (in the English dub) was changed before the conclusion of the show. Is the 2nd voice actor drastically noticeable from the 1st or are they similar and basically negligible?
Thanks for the help.

17+ because one person dies a lot, they are always trying to eat a dog, tons of bad language, and a low amount of nudity.

She did change, you probably won't notice it.

NoSanninWa 2006-08-14 02:13

Well, the last episode actually qualifies for that 17+ rating, but the rest of the show is basically what Forbin just described. Episode 26, titled "Going Too Far," has rivers of blood, sexual scenes and tons of ickiness. That's quite a disconnect from the rest, eh? Lets just say it is aptly titled and leave it at that.

Tsukasa27 2008-05-21 12:35

I just finished this wacky show and it was quite okay i guess :p

I feel like a lot of references will be missed by us North Americans aside from the obvious ones of course, but what we may understand certainly warrants some serious laughing. This is the show's strong point because there is not much else and I don't think it was meant to be anything else but a crazy ride filled with tongue-in-cheek humor and parodies.

There is no major flaws with this show but some minor grips:

-The characters don't have much depth, they always seem to go back to their old-self by the end of the episode and so the things that happen have no impact on them.

-The music is forgettable (aside from the very nice OP and enjoyable ED). Then again, there is so much dialog involved, notably with the hyperactive Excel, that it's certainly a choice made by the director to not focus on BGM.

So overall, i would give it a 7.4/10 and would recommend it only if you are hungry for some hyperactive, crazy, WTF humor :cool:

Forbin 2008-05-21 16:46

Go watch the other Nabeshin productions like Wallflower , Puni Puni Poemi, and Nerima Diakon Bros.

Tsukasa27 2008-05-21 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbin (Post 1606981)
Go watch the other Nabeshin productions like Wallflower , Puni Puni Poemi, and Nerima Diakon Bros.

Yup, I am currently watching Puni Puni Poemy and it's as crazy as Excel Saga:D

Asrialys 2008-05-21 18:56

Did you watch either of them in English? Just curious. I found it quite enjoyable in English. lol And my thinking was that I wouldn't be able to understand most Japanese jokes anyway and I don't care enough to be bothered by ADV's mass amounts of screen-covering pop-up notes. And the subs move way too fast for me to read.

Tsukasa27 2008-05-22 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asrialys (Post 1607154)
Did you watch either of them in English? Just curious. I found it quite enjoyable in English. lol And my thinking was that I wouldn't be able to understand most Japanese jokes anyway and I don't care enough to be bothered by ADV's mass amounts of screen-covering pop-up notes. And the subs move way too fast for me to read.

No, i watched it subbed cause i tend to stay away from most dubs, but it's funny you say that, because all throughout the show, i kept thinking that this is one of the few series that could be better watched dubbed because of those references that we nay not understand and the fact that pausing everytime to read the sub kinda kills the effect of the jokes...if you say the dub is good, i may try it to see how it is ;)

Pineapple_Split 2009-08-16 13:51

As far as the dub goes, know that Jason Douglas voices Il Palazzo. The same guy who voiced Louie in Rune Soldier. It makes it hundreds of times funnier every time Il Palazzo says something. :p


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.