AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Download Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Something is wrong with uTorrent (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=42859)

WolfCoder 2007-02-10 20:27

Something is wrong with uTorrent

I end up with a 0.1k down and 40k upload speed. This happens on every torrent I try regardless of seeds, peers, or trackers.

OK, I need some help fixing the problem. Do you know any way to stop yourself from uploading over 40 times before you get enough for yourself?

WolfCoder 2007-02-11 14:19

Normally, when I'm downloading a torrent with 1000+ seeds, I get a great speed. My internet connection is strong when I checked, but in this torrent with over 1000 seeders, I'm getting less than dial-up speed!

Help! Something is very wrong!

Sai the Dreamer 2007-02-11 14:29

Most likely, you forgot to use a speed profile. Press Ctrl+G and follow the directions.

WolfCoder 2007-02-11 14:43

tell me what settings you are using.

I'm getting nothing over 5 connections to peers. Before telling me it's my firewall, I was able to get MUCH more even with DHT disabled (actually, a way too much since my ISP called and thought I had a virus with over 500 peers connected). For some reason, it's not working correctly ever since I wiped my hard drive to fix something.

Normally with a 1000-seed download, I would be done by now.

Ledgem 2007-02-11 21:23

If the only change you made to your entire setup was that you wiped your computer, I'm guessing that the issue deals with either firewall settings, or with Windows XP's built-in connection limits.

So tell us, what firewall are you using? Does uTorrent report all-good status, or does it say you're NAT'd?

Also, try applying a patch to up your maximum number of connections. The patch is linked in this post.

WolfCoder 2007-02-16 19:06

If you were reading carefully enough, you would know I WAS getting good speeds before while STILL being BEHIND A NAT cone FIREWALL. Nothing is different because I never fiddled with any other firewall program before or after the wipe.

Matt Soulblade 2007-02-17 01:13

... This is the super cliche aswer, but anyways... Are you using DSL? If you are, try limiting your upl speed.
Some quick solutions to random situations
1) Try Update Tracker
2) Try different torrents for the same file, to load the trackers from it (happens oddly on torrents hosted on separate sites)
3) Try Azureus, if the problem persists, its a problem outside utorrent (and gomen, this is as far as I can help you, I only know solutions for common problems thats all :( )

Jeromie 2007-02-17 01:39

@WolfCoder
You know it wouldn't hurt to get rid of that disability of being behind a NAT or Router by allowing it in a software firewall or fowarding its ports in a router. I believe it's the best way for correcting your dilema for now because if you did that and your still having a problem we could eliminate some of the choices and isolate the problem.

WolfCoder 2007-02-19 18:20

Removing the NAT cone or port forwarding is NOT AN OPTION, I'll only do things to my machine, not the router everyone else in my network uses. Azerus is written in JAVA and uses up too many system resources. BitComet is slower (for me) and uses strange techniques that ruin it for everyone else.

Jeromie 2007-02-20 11:13

What type of router do you have? I know that in Linksys routers your allowed to forward ports for a specific IP or if the program and router you use support uPnP then it'll open the ports automatically whenever you start the program.

Secondly have you tried uTorrent its takes little to no resources, supports uPnP and is the best out of the other programs I've tried.

Green˛ 2007-02-20 11:39

There's some kind of UPnP fix listed in the change log for build 490. Have you also tried other versions of µTorrent?

WolfCoder 2007-02-20 17:24

Jeromie, if you looked at even the title of the thread and my first post, I said I will only use uTorrent for those reasons (and others). uPnP does not work on my machine. I am using a Belkin type router, but will not change any of it's settings.

Green, I am using the latest version of uTorrent.

Jeromie 2007-02-21 09:44

My bad the title slipped my mind.

1. Was uPnP working before on an older version of utorrent?

2. Do you experience any decrease in speed while browsing the internet on firefox/internet explorer while utorrent is on?

3. What did you put as your current upload rate? Have you tried lowering it?

4. Did you keep the number of connections as the default #'s? If so try lowering it to sensible #'s in the 2 digits.

WolfCoder 2007-02-21 19:19

1) The uPnP has only ever worked a long time ago when I was on Dial-Up. Ever since I got broadband, the uPnP does not work anymore.

2) I get the same speeds in uTorrent no matter what I do. While downloading, I do nothing else with the internet connection. I have no parallel processes that use the internet connection while downloading.

3) I have it set to 0. Lowering it causes my download speed to drop even further.

4) I have a maximum number of connections at 50 and the number of upload slots at 6.

DWKnight 2007-02-22 08:06

Running with unlimited upload chokes off your connection's ability to acknowledge and request download pieces.

http://utorrent.com/setup_guide.php

Jeromie 2007-02-22 13:19

heh i guess DWKnight beat me too telling you that!

Quote:

1) The uPnP has only ever worked a long time ago when I was on Dial-Up. Ever since I got broadband, the uPnP does not work anymore.
Do you know if your ISP is blocking utorrent's communication? I've never experienced that before but it's worth a shot. Theirs a setting in the latest version of uTorrent 1.6.1 build 490 under speed guide to enable encryption if so.

Quote:

2) I get the same speeds in uTorrent no matter what I do. While downloading, I do nothing else with the internet connection. I have no parallel processes that use the internet connection while downloading.
Could you try it. I've had a problem before where if utorrent is on my internet connection decreased drastically for example utorrent could be downloading at 25kB and if I tried browsing the internet I'd get 404 errors. The fix was that the windows firewall and my software firewall were conflicting with each other and I had to turn off the setting in uTorrent to "add utorrent to windows xp firewalls exceptions."

Secondly do you have a software firewall? Their are other threads on the forum where people had trouble with a another torrent program called bitcomet when they had zonealarm installed.

Quote:

4) I have a maximum number of connections at 50 and the number of upload slots at 6.
Try reverting them to the default settings which are
global max # of connections = 200
maximum # of connections = 50
# of upload slots = 4
See if that works if not try lowering them little by little and see if that helps.

Wolfcoder, It really is hard trying to figure out what the problem is when were limited only to the computer as the router plays a major role in a network and is the main reason for many problems like these.

WolfCoder 2007-02-23 21:46

My ISP doesn't like me adding all those connections, 50 seems to be fine for them. The upload cap seems to work, so I set an upload cap.

The strange thing is, 200MB worth in files downloads just as fast as 800MB of files. It's an odd fix, but I simply set it to download six files instead of two each night I leave the machine on. I don't know why, but it just does that.

Jeromie 2007-02-24 01:09

Quote:

My ISP doesn't like me adding all those connections, 50 seems to be fine for them. The upload cap seems to work, so I set an upload cap.
I'm a bit perplexed now in uTorrent in preferences under BitTorrrent theirs 3 settings for the "Number of Connections" in this order

Global Maximum number of connections: 200
Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 50
Number of Upload Slots per Torrent: 4

When you say you've changed it too 50 connections only which setting are you talking about global or maximum per torrent?

Vexx 2007-02-27 14:05

Probably 50 global is what he used.... I have a slightly different situation (Hughes Net and 7000 router) ... the router hwarfs if I run more than 30ish global connections (it has to be reset), I also have to throttle the uplink pipe because it seriously affects downlink pipe size. I also have to contend with a 350MB/4hr cap (it drops to worse than dialup and I have to basically idle it for 4 hrs to clear it).
Needless to say, I am aggressively seeking other solutions all the time outside of moving :)

I'd guess his ISP has implemented some DDOS features (the default settings for a product called Firebox comes to mind) and it interprets the cloud as a DDOS attack and seals him off to "protect" him.

His global connect restrict and upload cap should help ... he might also consider a "per torrent connect" restrict and a total download cap to avoid triggering upstream alerts.

Jeromie 2007-02-27 14:32

Quote:

Probably 50 global is what he used....
If that's the case then his maximum # of connected per torrents should be lowered too.

@Vexx I don't really understand your problem :heh:
Is your ISP causing the problem or computer/router?