AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Watching" and "Favourites" profile fields (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=43898)

Sai the Dreamer 2007-03-06 01:53

"Watching" and "Favourites" profile fields

I apologise in advance if this has been suggested previously! I tried to search multiple times, and each time I received only a blank page. :heh:

Anyway, a suggestion: Two new profile fields, for series you're watching, and your favourites, respectively. Does this sound plausible to the admins? :) Nonetheless, I'll add a poll to see how many people agree with this idea.

Thanks for your time!

Vexx 2007-03-06 03:01

I like the idea because it means people can move their current and favorites out of their .sigs but I can still check out the recommendations of people with whom I've had good tips on shows in the past.

Positive: the screen text in a thread will be composed mostly of content rather than .sig text.
Negative: more people will probably stick images in their .sig (though that can be turned off by the viewer now anyway).

Basically, I rather like the notion.

NightWish 2007-03-06 06:40

Sounds like a reasonable request. Not sure what the other staff think but I would be happy to add it. I believe it is all do-able with simple configuration.

NoSanninWa 2007-03-06 07:32

I just wanted to watch this thread to see what others said before I commented, but since NightWish posted his comment, I'll say that I also think it is a great idea. (And easy too!)

Cyz 2007-03-06 10:00

That's a nice idea. Btw, when I tried putting in stuffs on the watching and favorite section, some of them were cut off. How many can you put anyway?

NightWish 2007-03-06 10:03

Each field is free-text, so you can enter any number of series. However, it is length limited. I've changed the length limit to 200 ASCII characters. If this still proves too small I'll consider adjusting it.

Daniel E. 2007-03-06 11:04

So, it's already active then !!

Guess It wouldn't hurt to try and put some favorites animes of mine in there. ;)

Sai the Dreamer 2007-03-06 11:13

Ahh, that was nice and fast! :heh: Thanks for considering my idea~

SeijiSensei 2007-03-06 18:26

I don't seem to be able to use URL's in these fields. I put Favorites in my sig so I don't have to keep entering the URLs for series I recommend regularly. Even if URLs worked, 200 characters is too small to have many of them. If we're limited to plain text, I guess I'll just dump the URLs and leave the titles in my profile.

I like this idea a lot, though. Thanks, NightWish.

NightWish 2007-03-06 18:38

I don't think there is an easy way of allowing BB code in the fields. I tested it earlier and couldn't find an obvious option for it... If someone can think of a solution I'll consider it, but I don't think it is going to be practical.

CrowKenobi 2007-03-06 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 854230)
I don't seem to be able to use URL's in these fields. I put Favorites in my sig so I don't have to keep entering the URLs for series I recommend regularly. Even if URLs worked, 200 characters is too small to have many of them. If we're limited to plain text, I guess I'll just dump the URLs and leave the titles in my profile.

I like this idea a lot, though. Thanks, NightWish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 854237)
I don't think there is an easy way of allowing BB code in the fields. I tested it earlier and couldn't find an obvious option for it... If someone can think of a solution I'll consider it, but I don't think it is going to be practical.

Would tinyURL.com help?

:cool:

NightWish 2007-03-06 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrowKenobi (Post 854263)
Would tinyURL.com help?

It would help keep the field length down, but that is only important if you could actually use BB code to make the links in the first place. Which you can't. So probably not, no.

An alternative would be to use the URL or codes (show IDs, etc.) on their own, but that really isn't a good idea. It would make the member search page much less useful and the profiles obfuscated and confusing. As it is now (with just the show names) you can find people who share your series interests using the member search, which is kind-a cool as it wasn't very useful before.

Sai the Dreamer 2007-03-07 03:14

I do know it's possible to parse bbcode by using an "if" condition in the memberinfo_customfields template, but how to actually parse the code has unfortunately slipped my mind. There's, sadly, only so much you can do with the vBulletin demo. :heh:

Aoie_Emesai 2007-03-07 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa (Post 853684)
I just wanted to watch this thread to see what others said before I commented, but since NightWish posted his comment, I'll say that I also think it is a great idea. (And easy too!)

If this was what it was meant to do, then i'm all for it. Well sorta.