AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   300 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=44002)

monir 2007-03-08 12:40

300
 
http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/300Poster318.jpg

It's a new movie that I'll be watching in iMax tonight! Good thing I reserved those tickets several weeks ago because the theater has already sold out for the next couple of weeks. Even though it is based on a true historical fact where 300 Spartans hold of a Persian army, I don't give a toot about the history. I'm in it for the visual and mindless action with plenty of blood and gore. :heh: Some of the reviews also mentioned that the history buffs who want to watch it for the history, should stay at home since the history book was eaten by a dog. :D

Looking forward to it.

WanderingKnight 2007-03-08 12:42

I dislike very much movies that claim to be historical but lack any sense of historical basis in them. Like when I went to watch Apocalypto, I mean, COME ON, Gibson, Mayans disappeared WAY before Spaniards came to America.

rooboy 2007-03-08 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingKnight (Post 856152)
I dislike very much movies that claim to be historical but lack any sense of historical basis in them. Like when I went to watch Apocalypto, I mean, COME ON, Gibson, Mayans disappeared WAY before Spaniards came to America.

Spoiler:

WanderingKnight 2007-03-08 13:19

Well, if it's like that, I won't have many problems. The real problem I have is when the deviations are incredibly inaccurate (like the aforementioned Gibson movie). If it has some sort of basis, even if it is a subjective account, I won't have any problem with it :p

monir 2007-03-08 13:32

More on where the script for the movie came from in Wiki. Didn't know it was based on a visual novel until Rooboy mentioned it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooboy
for example, when Dienekes tells the Persian that they will fight in the shade (because the Persians arrows will blot out the sun

The best dialogue I've ever heard. I decided I would watch this movie as soon as I heard that exchange of dialogue in the trailer. :heh:

Here is a trailer for those other action fans who has yet to see it:



rooboy 2007-03-08 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir (Post 856203)
More on where the script for the movie came from in Wiki. Didn't know it was based on a visual novel until Rooboy mentioned it here.


The best dialogue I've ever heard. I decided I'll watch this movie as soon as I heard that exchange of dialogue in the trailer. :heh:

Spoiler:

monir 2007-03-08 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooboy (Post 856211)
EDIT: More on the graphic novel from wiki. More on the Battle of Thermopylae from wiki. Also, if you buy pretty much any Ancient battles history book, it will probably have some section on the Battle of Thermopylae (it's one of the most famous battles in history). I've read about it in at least three books in the last two years.

I first read about this battle when I was in Junior High. With the short attention span of a mouse, I was pretty captivated by that story and that says a lot. Spartans are cool no matter how exaggerated the story has become after the retelling of it in the following few thousand years! History never felt boring when I read about them. :D

rooboy 2007-03-08 14:22

Spoiler:

kayos 2007-03-08 18:36

Well considering the fact that they held their position because it was in a small strait between mountains or cliffs. The Persians had the numbers but the Spartans had better fighter, and the Persians were restricted to send small numbers at a time cause of the strait. I don't know which battle it was but that's all I remember from the great Spartan Wars where so few defeated so many.

WanderingKnight 2007-03-08 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayos (Post 856501)
Well considering the fact that they held their position because it was in a small strait between mountains or cliffs. The Persians had the numbers but the Spartans had better fighter, and the Persians were restricted to send small numbers at a time cause of the strait. I don't know which battle it was but that's all I remember from the great Spartan Wars where so few defeated so many.

Yeah, OK, but you have to consider that they had to be extremely good fighters. Facing a couple of enemies in a row, I can concede, but for wiping out such huge numbers you'd need godlike stamina.

But then again, I'm not fully informed about the battle and I'm too lazy to look for any info on it.

kayos 2007-03-08 18:44

Legend has it that Spartans train their young ones at an early age to be fighters, and don't forget they also toss their weak ones over the cliff. Hence only strong fighters survived.

They have no tolerance for weak males, pretty much.

Saw it on the History Channel.

WanderingKnight 2007-03-08 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayos (Post 856510)
Legend has it that Spartans train their young ones at an early age to be fighters, and don't forget they also toss their weak ones over the cliff. Hence only strong fighters survived.

They have no tolerance for weak males, pretty much.

Saw it on the History Channel.

Yeah, they were some of the most diligent barbarians around ('barbarian' taken in a figurative sense xP). And also, any warrior that dared to run in battle would be virtually ostracized from society, as no one would ever speak to him again.

Also, they were such silent people, that the term "laconic speech" was coined after the people of Laconia, one of the Spartan regions. Someone who speaks laconically is basically someone who delivers short, straight answers and doesn't take too much time to delve into the complexities of language.

rooboy 2007-03-08 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingKnight (Post 856506)
Yeah, OK, but you have to consider that they had to be extremely good fighters. Facing a couple of enemies in a row, I can concede, but for wiping out such huge numbers you'd need godlike stamina.

But then again, I'm not fully informed about the battle and I'm too lazy to look for any info on it.

Spoiler:

Slade xTekno 2007-03-08 19:45

That really could have used a spoiler tag. T_T It kind of deflated the movie for me.

kayos 2007-03-08 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade xTekno (Post 856582)
That really could have used a spoiler tag. T_T It kind of deflated the movie for me.

Don't worry none of us have seen it yet. It's only historical events. I bet Frank Miller has his own point of views and it's based on his novel with some part relating to the historical events... I think.

Knowing the history of things won't spoiler all the blood and gore action scene that everyone is going to see it for. I'm going to go see it tomorrow after class.

Knightmare213 2007-03-08 20:32

So far, the Rotten Tomatoes, a website that collects and averages movie critics' score upon a certain movie, 300 received 63 out of 100. Couple of critics blasted the movie for being unfaithful to actual historical events that happened.

Sometimes, I think the movie critics are less informed than we are.

The movie, in the first place, wasn't based on the historical facts. It was based on Frank Miller's comic book. Some critics can't seem to get past that.

For those you'll be seeing this movie in an iMax theater, I completely envy you.:heh: I had a chance of seeing a documentary in an iMax theater and it kicked ass.

I suppose I'll be watching this movie in a normal silver screen soon.

aFlipGuy 2007-03-08 21:05

i saw the movie last saturday at a movie premiere =D

the action was done really well

as for the history part...i thought they didnt do a bad job since most of it were true.

Spoiler:


i thought they were pretty accurate w/ historical events.

i really dont wanna say more because it would suck if i gave it away.

has anyone read Gates of Fire? it was about the 300 spartans at thermopylea...the story is prolly more accurate than the movie 300 when it came to historical facts but if you love the movie, i suggest you pick up the book also for more spartan action =D

Vexx 2007-03-08 21:06

The best way to take this movie is as a "tall tale" told at the fireside by an old grandpa that survived the event. Lots of hyperbole, liberal intrusions by the gods, and amazing events.

Kind of even the reconstructed deconstruction movie "Arthur" of recent yore with those amazing battle sequences on the ice and at the climax....

tall tales, yarrrrrrrr.

Slade xTekno 2007-03-08 21:07

kayos: I've heard of the battle, but I've been avoiding the details because I heard this movie was coming out. He also makes references to the movie in the post.

Knightmare213: I've heard that, too, but by all accounts, it is very faithful to the graphic novel.

aFlipGuy 2007-03-08 21:12

heh vex ^____^ you're sharp

Spoiler:


k no more spoiler?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.