AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Ghost Hound (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=44719)

monir 2007-03-24 23:17

Ghost Hound
 
http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/ghostxg2c26.png

Production Company: Production I.G.

Genre: Spiritual + SciFi !? There is first time for everything.

Expected Release Date: Fall 2007

Website: http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/ghosthound/

Any Shirow Masamune-fan in the house? He is bloody writing the story. Sorry! :D So what else is new? Well, the director for the show is going to be.. drumroll please.. (once again, sorry :heh: ).. Nakamura Ryutaro. I'll have you know that his name was merely involved with shows like Serial Experiment Lain, Kino no Tabi, REC, Colorful (has anyone actually seen it other than me that is?). I'm unbelievably excited about this piece of news that I've actually sat up to type this post. :heh: This year is getting better and better and better for the anime-fans. As of now there is no synopsis available on the story. Will keep updating as more information becomes available. So, where are the other Shirow Masamune-fans? :)



edit: [March 25, 2007] Updated genre info. Thanks/blames go to Duckroll.

honeysempai 2007-03-24 23:53

ME! I am a big fan of his! I adore Ghost in the Shell.

This anime looks interesting, even if its only a picture being shown. XD

WanderingKnight 2007-03-24 23:59

Wow, Masamune Shirow.

Just wow.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-03-25 02:08

HOLY CRAP ALL THE TEXT IS REALLY HUGE ON THIS PAGE. I'M PRETTY SURe...okay that's enough... I'm pretty sure that I've run across his art in something and its not Ghost In The Shell since I've never seen any of it. His style certainly is unique and more detailed than your usual big eyes small mouth style. I like the artists that actually seem to put effort into their work, compared with say Hisashi Hirai. Everything points to this being a solid production at the bare minimum whatever it is, but lets not throw our hats at the ice before the trick is up.

Nightengale 2007-03-25 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir (Post 875314)
Genre: SciFi is the best bet

I'm not so sure on that. Unless someone at TAF who's seen the trailer can clarify, there's nothing to fully insinuate that Ghost Hound will be sci-fi. The upcoming manga release of Ghost Hound (( not drawn by Masamune, sadly )) this end of March reveals that's it's about a bunch of youngsters with special powers.

Not to mention Shirow's position in this is still strangely obscure. There's no doubt he's the one who's writing the story, but there isn't any full clarification on how it's going around in the anime, since Chiaki Konoka of Lain is apparently the scriptwriter for Ghost Hound as well. It's possible that Shirow's contributing the original concept and idea with Konoka writing the script, or even both of them working together with Shirow being the lead writer but there's too little information at the moment. Right now, all we know is pretty much that Ghost Hound is being touted a 20th Anniversary Production I.G work, and they'll be collaberating with Shirow Masamune in this work. At least we can expect some dough being grinded into this, that's fo sure.

duckroll 2007-03-25 05:23

Ghost Hound is not scifi. It's a "Spiritual Animation" with themes of occult and spiritualism. Shirow is NOT writing the story, he simply co-conceived the idea with Production IG. The writer and director duo for Lain is handling the anime series with character designs from the Hell Girl character designer.

The trailer at TAF mainly showed the girl in the picture lying in a dead-like position while having flashbacks or visions of herself running up some stairs before a shadow being covers the sky and reaches for her. There are other characters that look like high school students, and there's a school setting but overall the area seems to be the more rural part of Japan similar to Spirited Away or Totoro with tons of greenary and old looking places.

The series starts airing on WOWOW in the Fall.

Quajafrie 2007-03-25 14:28

Quote:

The writer and director duo for Lain
By writer you mean Yoshitoshi ABe?!

7Th 2007-03-25 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quajafrie (Post 875952)
By writer you mean Yoshitoshi ABe?!

No, ABe was in charge of visual design and original story, the script itself was by Chiaki Konaka, who's doing Ghost Hound.

monir 2007-03-25 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightengale (Post 875481)
I'm not so sure on that. Unless someone at TAF who's seen the trailer can clarify, there's nothing to fully insinuate that Ghost Hound will be sci-fi. The upcoming manga release of Ghost Hound (( not drawn by Masamune, sadly )) this end of March reveals that's it's about a bunch of youngsters with special powers.

Not to mention Shirow's position in this is still strangely obscure. There's no doubt he's the one who's writing the story, but there isn't any full clarification on how it's going around in the anime, since Chiaki Konoka of Lain is apparently the scriptwriter for Ghost Hound as well. It's possible that Shirow's contributing the original concept and idea with Konoka writing the script, or even both of them working together with Shirow being the lead writer but there's too little information at the moment. Right now, all we know is pretty much that Ghost Hound is being touted a 20th Anniversary Production I.G work, and they'll be collaberating with Shirow Masamune in this work. At least we can expect some dough being grinded into this, that's fo sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckroll (Post 875584)
Ghost Hound is not scifi. It's a "Spiritual Animation" with themes of occult and spiritualism. Shirow is NOT writing the story, he simply co-conceived the idea with Production IG. The writer and director duo for Lain is handling the anime series with character designs from the Hell Girl character designer.

Thank you both for keeping my level of enthusiasm in check. :heh::D I'll change the genre as soon as it is confirmed what we can expect from this series. I'm still going to remain giddy as long as Shirow-san is invovled with this show in any manner imaginable though I would like to think (just like Nightengle) that the concept came from Shirow-san's head. Btw, would very much appreciate if a link could be provided for us eager ones who want to see the trailer so badly. :)

duckroll 2007-03-25 15:11

But the genre on the sell sheet at TAF says specifically "Spiritual Animation". :P

WanderingKnight 2007-03-25 15:58

A friend of mine told me that the characteristic premise of the manga is that the characters don't speak at all. Would someone who's read the manga care to say something about it? My friend wasn't very explicit (he told me so by mail).

MrProphet 2007-03-25 16:08

Ah, so Shirow has finally decided to stop producing softcore pornography (yes, I am looking at you, Intron Depot) and do something worthwhile?

WanderingKnight 2007-03-25 16:20

Quote:

Ah, so Shirow has finally decided to stop producing softcore pornography (yes, I am looking at you, Intron Depot) and do something worthwhile?
Huh...?

And yet you still have that GITS avatar...

Honey_and_Cleaver 2007-03-25 16:52

I hope theres good cast. I hope it doesnt end up failing like Blood+.

MrProphet 2007-03-25 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingKnight (Post 876069)
And yet you still have that GITS avatar...

Does that change the fact that Shirow draws shiny naked girls for poster books? 8)

It's not that I disapprove so much, yet that's the only thing he's been doing since Man-Machine Interface. Rather sad story...

WanderingKnight 2007-03-25 17:39

Quote:

Does that change the fact that Shirow draws shiny naked girls for poster books? 8)

It's not that I disapprove so much, yet that's the only thing he's been doing since Man-Machine Interface. Rather sad story...
Yeah, and both GITS manga had explicit sex scenes in it (the one in MMI was removed from the American publishing), but that's not the only thing he's done. GITS didn't revolve at all around those scenes, either, and its removal don't affect the development of the manga at all. I mean, if he wants to slack around for a while and draw some fanservicey stuff (not that he's been lacking those kinds of stuff in the past), let him, he's done excellent works before.

monir 2007-03-25 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckroll (Post 875994)
But the genre on the sell sheet at TAF says specifically "Spiritual Animation". :P

We now have confirmation! Genre has been changed to..... Spiritual + SciFi. Still couldn't discount the possibility of some sort of scifi twist even at the face of mounting evidence. :heh:

P.S. Researching on Intron Depot as I'm writing this post. Thanks Mr. P! ^^

Shinndou 2007-03-25 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingKnight (Post 876167)
Yeah, and both GITS manga had explicit sex scenes in it (the one in MMI was removed from the American publishing), but that's not the only thing he's done. GITS didn't revolve at all around those scenes, either, and its removal don't affect the development of the manga at all. I mean, if he wants to slack around for a while and draw some fanservicey stuff (not that he's been lacking those kinds of stuff in the past), let him, he's done excellent works before.

The point is that it's not just "fanservicey stuff", his last works/artbooks contain a lot of vulgar artworks and drawings, that are almost borderline hentai. Fanservice, the typical one, doesn't feel vulgar at all, but his latest work heavily do look and feel that way.

In any case I am glad he's involved in something different, for a change. I'm mostly looking forward to this because of the animation studio and the director, rather than Shirow's not-so-clear role in it. And the first recent anime that came to my mind when I read "spiritual + sci-fi" and "rural settings" was Mushishi, for some reason. :heh:

And the girl in the promo picture resembles Enma a lot.

MrProphet 2007-03-25 19:49

I don't care if Shirow did hentai, if he was also making something interesting in the mean time. A lot of mangaka draw dojinshi or erotic content, that's not the big deal.

The sad part is that he didn't do anything "interesting the mean time".

We'll see what this Ghost Hound is about. Although, the title itself brings back memories of Forest Whitaker's and Jim Jarmusch's "Ghost Dog - Way of the Samurai". That's funny, in it's own little way. 8)

MrProphet 2007-06-03 16:56

Anyone see the trailer?

"Spiritual animation"? What the hell's that? And the girl... a hologram Sadako from Ring?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:47.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.