AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fansub Groups (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New P2P on the block: Perfect Dark (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48024)

Starks 2007-05-23 12:19

New P2P on the block: Perfect Dark
 
I hear that this program is supposed to be the successor to the newly discontinued Share. Has anyone else used it? I've found it to be fast as hell and addresses many of the problems that Winny and Share shared in terms of speed and security.

martino 2007-05-23 13:45

I've downloaded it (not tried it yet though), however since for now all I need can be found on Share/Winny I don't personally plan embarking on a new P2P program with a smaller userbase. Who knows, maybe in a few months/years...

Ayanami9870 2007-05-23 14:36

Feedback from v0.886 user:
-----------------------------

"I've got 0.886 installed. It has the tiniest font known to man, and it can't be changed, so it's impossible to see what files are listed. It also uses 99% CPU constantly, for god knows what reason, since I wasn't hashing or downloading or even searching for anything. It also copies anything you want to "upload" into a special cache directory, which wastes twices the space. And it seems to lack trigger downloads."


I haven't used Perfect Dark myself, so that's what I'm going with. Personally, I'd keep Share for now until they make more improvements on Perfect Dark.

But does it really eat 99% CPU, or is it just that guy's system?

Starks 2007-05-23 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayanami9870 (Post 959679)
Feedback from v0.886 user:
-----------------------------

"I've got 0.886 installed. It has the tiniest font known to man, and it can't be changed, so it's impossible to see what files are listed. It also uses 99% CPU constantly, for god knows what reason, since I wasn't hashing or downloading or even searching for anything. It also copies anything you want to "upload" into a special cache directory, which wastes twices the space. And it seems to lack trigger downloads."


I haven't used Perfect Dark myself, so that's what I'm going with. Personally, I'd keep Share for now until they make more improvements on Perfect Dark.

But does it really eat 99% CPU, or is it just that guy's system?

Yeah, the font is tiny... Hopefully it'll be changeable soon, but a temporary solution is to click on the file and look at the filename at the top of the screen.

As for being a resource hog, it does use a bit more than Winny and Share, but nowhere near 99%.

Sety 2007-05-23 15:38

'Perfect Dark'?

I'm pretty sure that infringes on a certain name copyright >_>

Ranguvar 2007-05-23 15:41

Hmmm...

I'll try it, but I'm betting since it's still based on old-school P2P (no leeching, no shards, etc.) it won't be as good as uTorrent.

TheFluff 2007-05-23 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sety (Post 959775)
'Perfect Dark'?

I'm pretty sure that infringes on a certain name copyright >_>

The program developers obviously care a lot about protecting intellectual property and not infringing on copyrights, considering the program's intended usage. I'm certain the program name is unintentional and that they will change it once you notify them about this. We should get a translator to write a politely worded note and mail it to them.


(I can't tell if you're a really really good bad troll or just really really HURF BLURF)

Bot1 2007-05-23 16:26

the meaning of "joke" has obviosly been lost on fluff over the years and he now only know "troll"

Nicholi 2007-05-23 16:54

Wasn't funny if it was a joke. TheFluff's post actually makes me smirk though :P.

Bot1 2007-05-23 17:29

i never said it was a good joke >_>

Nicholi 2007-05-23 18:51

Then its deserved criticism :P.

BTW where is the news of Share being discontinued now?

Quarkboy 2007-05-23 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholi (Post 960048)
Then its deserved criticism :P.

BTW where is the news of Share being discontinued now?

Was Share's IP encryption hacked or something? I don't really see any point to yet another p2p program unless share's security had been breached... as far as I'm concerned Share is stable and quite usable, so unlike winny where people were scared of being arrested, I don't see why anyone would switch programs again unless Share's encryption was hacked by the government like winny's was.

bayoab 2007-05-23 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarkboy (Post 960170)
Was Share's IP encryption hacked or something? I don't really see any point to yet another p2p program unless share's security had been breached... as far as I'm concerned Share is stable and quite usable, so unlike winny where people were scared of being arrested, I don't see why anyone would switch programs again unless Share's encryption was hacked by the government like winny's was.

Share... secure... thats a funny one. None of these P2P programs are truely secure and they all suffer from the exact same vulnerabilities. That said, Share's encryption hasn't been hacked but there are programs that can easily gather all the information without needing to break encryption. Seriously, if you are planning to switch for IP security, there is no point in switching. If you plan to switch because the program has actual security holes in it, then there is a point.

Quarkboy 2007-05-23 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayoab (Post 960250)
Share... secure... thats a funny one. None of these P2P programs are truely secure and they all suffer from the exact same vulnerabilities. That said, Share's encryption hasn't been hacked but there are programs that can easily gather all the information without needing to break encryption. Seriously, if you are planning to switch for IP security, there is no point in switching. If you plan to switch because the program has actual security holes in it, then there is a point.

I wasn't asking because I'm scared of the Japanese police breaking down my door...

I was asking because if there was an OBVIOUS public case of the law extracting IPs to arrest people like there was with winny then that would cause people to migrate to the newer program.

But if there was no such thing I just don't see any Japanese people moving away from share in large numbers like they did with winny. When it comes to software, it seems the japanese are real sticklers for trying anything new (most raws are still DIVX, for gods sake... not to mention the extrodinary outdatedness of 2chan...)

Nicholi 2007-05-24 00:36

I was asking because Starks said this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starks
I hear that this program is supposed to be the successor to the newly discontinued Share.

So don't ask me :P. I'm the same opinion as you Quarkboy. Not to mention Share's developer has not been sent to jail. So I don't think it's quite dead yet, and even before development and version changes were slow. So either strange jump to conclusions or some mystic information only Starks has.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarkboy
(most raws are still DIVX, for gods sake... not to mention the extrodinary outdatedness of 2chan...)

I'd like to know what magical raw world you live in n_n. The one I'm in seems to be full of WMV raws...dear god, so many ;-; everywhere! Not to mention a still prevalent use of 120fps when it is absolutely not needed. Makes me cry the sad state of affairs most jpn encoders are in.

Quarkboy 2007-05-24 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholi (Post 960464)
I was asking because Starks said this

So don't ask me :P. I'm the same opinion as you Quarkboy. Not to mention Share's developer has not been sent to jail. So I don't think it's quite dead yet, and even before development and version changes were slow. So either strange jump to conclusions or some mystic information only Starks has.

I'd like to know what magical raw world you live in n_n. The one I'm in seems to be full of WMV raws...dear god, so many ;-; everywhere! Not to mention a still prevalent use of 120fps when it is absolutely not needed. Makes me cry the sad state of affairs most jpn encoders are in.

Well, for PORN, yeah, wmv is the most common for DVD rips :).

TV-cappers seem to prefer divx, however. At least on share, I see 3x more divx encodes than wmv or xvid. You see more and more x264 raws though, every day.

Crovax 2007-05-24 01:33

Not sure about Share, but on Winny WMV definitely seems to be far more popular than DivX.

cyth 2007-05-24 02:33

I've tried PD a month ago and I find it mostly unpopulated with very little files, thus useless to the western leeching crowds. The listing font is awfully small and it can't be changed (for now). That's not really a big issue for me, but the small number of shared files is. One thing I like is that it finds results faster and isn't relying on trigger searches like in Share.
I obviously prefer Share at the current time but its memory leaks are freaking annoying. In any case, each of these programs lacks stuff. For Winny it's the security and viruses, for Share memory leaks, Perfect Dark is unpopulated and still lacking in features and design.

Oh, and if you want anonymity, just leech through a VPN network. Relakks does the trick. :D

Sylf 2007-05-24 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toua (Post 960595)
Oh, and if you want anonymity, just leech through a VPN network. Relakks does the trick. :D

An off topic FYI: Relakks doesn't offer VPN service. VPN is the method of connecting to Relakks servers for their proxy service, as far as I can tell from their Q&A page.

Dnous 2007-05-24 12:07

Tried it, the font size is super tiny but the cpu usage varies from 5 to 25%. I have a AMD 64 3000+.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.