AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Lucky Star (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Lucky Star - Episode 23 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=54408)

Pellissier 2007-09-09 04:09

Lucky Star - Episode 23 Discussion / Poll
 
Welcome to the discussion thread for Lucky Star, Episode 23.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Rion Steiner 2007-09-09 08:49

Fellow Suki members, if your rating this, I hope you wont have to go through comparing it to the other episodes, especially 16 and 22.

drzzit 2007-09-09 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rion Steiner (Post 1138764)
Fellow Suki members, if your rating this, I hope you wont have to go through comparing it to the other episodes, especially 16 and 22.

agreed... :D

Allamanda 2007-09-09 10:52

As a semi-final episode, it was a tad inappropriate to focus on Minami more than main characters, although the development was quite good. 7/10

Sheba 2007-09-09 11:58

As for L*C

Gotouza makes her guest appearance. In an unexpected L*S avatar.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-09-09 12:29

Snuck her in at the last second eh. They almost missed the deadline.

@Rion Steiner: There's been no such agreement for any other episode of this series, or any other series I've seen for that matter, but since that's generally what I do anyway, weigh the episode on it's merits (and by that I mean the things I truly find entertaining) alone and not comparing it to anything else, that's what I'll be doing. Why's it so important to you that that happen anyway?

thelok 2007-09-09 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rion Steiner (Post 1138764)
Fellow Suki members, if your rating this, I hope you wont have to go through comparing it to the other episodes, especially 16 and 22.

I think it should be compared relatively to other episodes. I don't like ratings where all episodes are rated either a 9 or 10, this is not a contest to see which series can get the best score. If all episodes are rated 10 or 9 then I won't know which episodes are truly the good ones.

Luminisk 2007-09-09 12:47

I would say Minami was the star in this episode.

Sheba 2007-09-09 12:54

I have a thing for bosozoku since the movie "Black Rain" and GTO made me like them even more, as a stereotype of course.


Wavedash 2007-09-09 19:29

Spoiler for ep 23:

Keruri 2007-09-09 20:51

I loved all of the references in this one!

Spoiler for Episode 23:

krln99 2007-09-09 21:35

This one was kinda uneventful. However, the next one looks cool. BTW, is it mandatory that ever high school anime must have a "bunkasai" (cultural festival) episode? I wonder if they'll pull a Suzumiya Haruhi "Live Alive" with a concert at the end. I wouldn't put it past KyoAni.

kj1980 2007-09-10 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba (Post 1138982)
As for L*C

Gotouza makes her guest appearance. In an unexpected L*S avatar.

Yeah, but how many foreign anime fans would get that reference, I dunno.

Sheba 2007-09-10 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980 (Post 1139929)
Yeah, but how many foreign anime fans would get that reference, I dunno.

I thought that it was a play on one of her hobbies (motorcycles). Can you elaborate more on this one?

EDIT: I am tempted to think of GTO but because I can understand like only 0.00001% of japanese, I am not even sure about it.

mrm 2007-09-10 05:18

Now every member from the SOS-Dan got it's LS avatar. At least, Gotouza-sama didn't appeared moaning or screaming ^_^

I'm really looking forward to the bunkasai next week :)

BTW, what's the anime in 15:27 ? I can't recognize it from the music from the OP (if it's the op) -_-

EDIT: Don't mind me, it was Gigantic Formula, I didn't thought of looking final credits till now.

Woland 2007-09-10 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm (Post 1140169)
EDIT: Don't mind me, it was Gigantic Formula, I didn't thought of looking final credits till now.

I'm still waiting for the sub, but this is Gigantic Formula OP, Just in case... ;)

Spoiler:

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2007-09-10 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980 (Post 1139929)
Yeah, but how many foreign anime fans would get that reference, I dunno.

I don't really get it, but thanks to the wonders of the Internet I have found out that the motorbike in this lucky channel was the same model as one that she owns in real life. (except her real bike is Blue rather than red.)
http://yaplog.jp/tubuyaki3/archive/73

I also know she earned her nickname ゴトゥーザ様 from Kyon's actor by being a serious fan of Fist of North Star, but the rest is probably lost in translation for me.:heh:

EDIT: Here is the original photo of Gotouza-sama, complete with identical helmet and monogram white jacket with the Lucky Channel segment.
http://kei.iichan.net/uni/src/1189423625310.jpg

Skane 2007-09-10 07:20

Random Thoughts on Ep23 (RAW):
---- ----
  • Although it was a very short segment, Nanako's scene towards the ending induced the greatest laugh from me. The usage of the BGM was brilliant and the comic timing was so intense it sears itself into one's mind.
    .
  • The ED induced a lot of snarky feelings within me.

    Waaaay back when Lucky Star was announced to be the next KyoAni production after Kanon(2006), I casually remarked that it followed the usual pattern of fun-serious-fun-serious-~ productions by KyoAni, and that it would be a "vacation" of sorts for the staff before their next "serious" project, CLANNAD(TV).

    Little did I realise then... how far they would take it to the extreme. :heh:

    I suppose there are other examples of anime studios who have had conducted "working vacations" during an anime series production, but I am hard-pressed to think of contemporary examples in today's harsher world.

    Not many studios have the moolah to burn on gimmicky live-action segments that have absolutely no bearing on the actual series' material. Not if they want to actually use the budget on making decent animation (amongst other aspects of animation production that requires money).

    Everytime I see another live-action ED from Lucky Star, I can't help but wonder how many rival animation studios are gnashing their teeth, tearing at their hair, and sharpening their knives as KyoAni unwittingly "shows off" to the anime world that, "Hey! Check this out! We got money to burn!"

    [I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they have no ill-intent whatsoever and that they are not a drug-addled studio who print their key frames on 50,000yen bills. :p]

    What makes it even worse for their competitors is that even though they are basically goofing around with Lucky Star, they are STILL raking in the cash through merchandising. Let us be honest with ourselves here. If it was not for the Lucky Star tag on the Character Albums, the sane majority of us would consider them to be abominations to the aural canal.

    ^[My eyeballs nearly exploded when I tried listening to some of the tracks.]

    That said, the deviant in me is vastly enjoying the flamboyance on display by KyoAni. The live-action EDs are mostly nonsense, and at times, it feels as though they generated the script by having a drunk meeting (with weed maybe) and see who wrote the most senseless script.

    They have devoted CGI resources to the most random of things. So random that one can't help but wonder whether they used a dartboard to decide.

    So it is to their credit that despite all this insanity, all this... deviancy, the core material of Lucky Star still stands on its own and shines. Yes, the Animate sequences, the Lucky Channel segments, and the live-action EDs are all deviations from the source material, but they have never overwhelmed it (unlike Hayate no Gotoku). It is made clear that they are more or less on a different plane of reality.
Cheers.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-09-10 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skane (Post 1140247)
Random Thoughts on Ep23 (RAW):
---- ----
  • Although it was a very short segment, Nanako's scene towards the ending induced the greatest laugh from me. The usage of the BGM was brilliant and the comic timing was so intense it sears itself into one's mind.
    .
  • The ED induced a lot of snarky feelings within me.

    Waaaay back when Lucky Star was announced to be the next KyoAni production after Kanon(2006), I casually remarked that it followed the usual pattern of fun-serious-fun-serious-~ productions by KyoAni, and that it would be a "vacation" of sorts for the staff before their next "serious" project, CLANNAD(TV).

    Little did I realise then... how far they would take it to the extreme. :heh:

    I suppose there are other examples of anime studios who have had conducted "working vacations" during an anime series production, but I am hard-pressed to think of contemporary examples in today's harsher world.

    Not many studios have the moolah to burn on gimmicky live-action segments that have absolutely no bearing on the actual series' material. Not if they want to actually use the budget on making decent animation (amongst other aspects of animation production that requires money).

    Everytime I see another live-action ED from Lucky Star, I can't help but wonder how many rival animation studios are gnashing their teeth, tearing at their hair, and sharpening their knives as KyoAni unwittingly "shows off" to the anime world that, "Hey! Check this out! We got money to burn!"

    [I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they have no ill-intent whatsoever and that they are not a drug-addled studio who print their key frames on 50,000yen bills. :p]

    What makes it even worse for their competitors is that even though they are basically goofing around with Lucky Star, they are STILL raking in the cash through merchandising. Let us be honest with ourselves here. If it was not for the Lucky Star tag on the Character Albums, the sane majority of us would consider them to be abominations to the aural canal.

    ^[My eyeballs nearly exploded when I tried listening to some of the tracks.]

    That said, the deviant in me is vastly enjoying the flamboyance on display by KyoAni. The live-action EDs are mostly nonsense, and at times, it feels as though they generated the script by having a drunk meeting (with weed maybe) and see who wrote the most senseless script.

    They have devoted CGI resources to the most random of things. So random that one can't help but wonder whether they used a dartboard to decide.

    So it is to their credit that despite all this insanity, all this... deviancy, the core material of Lucky Star still stands on its own and shines. Yes, the Animate sequences, the Lucky Channel segments, and the live-action EDs are all deviations from the source material, but they have never overwhelmed it (unlike Hayate no Gotoku). It is made clear that they are more or less on a different plane of reality.
Cheers.

That's all great, but what about the actual episode?

Kinny Riddle 2007-09-10 08:30

Now on to the highlights:

- When typing in Japanese, the OS interface usually have a list of phrases for you to choose after you type the pronunciation, since there can be various versions for the same pronunciation. For example, if you enter "hashi", you may get "chopsticks" or "bridge".

Usually, the most used phrases are listed as the "default" choice, but it seems Kona-chan has set her otaku and 2ch-oriented phrases as her default choices. Irritating Kagamin to no end when trying to type her report and coming out with all sorts of awkward terms. :heh:

- Whether it's transferring files within the PC or via p2p, whenever it says "<3 mins remaining", you often get your hopes up and just stare till it countdowns to 0, but then it changes to "60mins remaining" or more. :D

- Soujirou decides to grab a bite and takes a box of instant noodles, only to find out the flask is out of hot water. LMAO

- Minami-chan, Hiyorin and Patty come to visit a sick Yu-chan. Though Yui-nee only has eyes for Minami-chan and totally neglects the two otaku-girls.

- Hiyorin and Patty quickly clicked with Kona-chan the moment they met, being of the same "species". They discuss how to make someone's chest size grow by groping on them, causing Hiyorin to fantasize Minami-chan shyly letting Yu-chan grope her. lol

- Kona-chan has no problem letting Yu-chan read the doujinshis that Hiyorin has lent her, much to Hiyorin's horror as she pleads Kona-chan to give her a break. :heh:

- Yu-chan: Tamura-san, where do you get your inspiration for your manga (doujins)?
Hiyorin: Mostly from personal experiences.
Yu-chan (blushes): P...personal...experiences...
Hiyorin: You...YOU READ THEM, HAVEN'T YOU!? I specifically told her (Izumi-sempai) not to let her (Yu-chan) read those!!! :heh:

- Kona-chan, Yu-chan and Soujirou watching a show about puppies. Yu-chan comments on how cute the puppies are, while the otaku parent-daughter duo only has eyes on how moe the girl owners are. Different perspectives, eh? :D

- Misao-chan is so uber-giddy this episode that I'm lost for words to describe how funny she is, even though I don't exactly understand the sketches. :eyespin:

- Kagamin wonders if Patty knows anything else in Japan besides otaku culture, and asks if she ever listens to J-Pop.

Patty: Well, I do listen to ORANGE RA*GE, CHEMI*RY, Porno Gr*ffiti and L'*rc-en-Ciel time to time.

Kagamin: Wow, that's impressive.

Kona-chan: They've all sang anime theme songs, haven't they?

Patty: Wow, how'd you know that?

LOL So true.

- Patty telling Kagamin how she wants to be served by a "maid", and lectures her about the difference between a "maid" and a "domestic helper".
Patty: Seriously, which country do you live in?
Kagamin: Er...are you sure you're talking about Japan?

- Poor Minami-chan, she's no good with dogs even, when she unwittingly shoos her dog away from her dinner, then feels lonely when seeing her mom feeding the dog.

- Poor Minami-chan getting teased by Yukari-san after hearing about how "cool and awesome" Minami-chan is, when she has seen Minami-chan's more cute moments.

- Kagamin: Hi, Kona-chan. Ah, watching mecha-anime as usual, I see?
Kona-chan: Well, I'm not exactly watching it for the mechas.
Kagamin: Then why are you watching it?
Kona-chan: Coz it's got cute girls and boys.

- Kona-chan realizes the way Miyuki sneezes is so much more moe than how she sneezes.

- After hearing from Yu-chan about Minami's accomplishments on 100m track races, Kona-chan ponders whether Minami might lose out in a tight race, as she has a "major disadvantage" - chest size. LOL

- While Kona-chan is playing ero-games with Patty watching...
Yui-nee: AHA! Just what kind of game are you playing?
Kona-chan and Patty fumbles for an answer.
Yu-chan: Hmm, what game is that, onee-chan?
Yui-nee joins in covering up the screen as well.
:D

- Poor Nanako-sensei. :sad: Don't you just hate it, after writing a long message for a blog, email, forum, or whatever and clicking send, the internet crashes on you? That is why I always copy and paste it on a notepad just to be safe. (Including this long post as well. )

- Finally, all the SOS Brigade members have appeared on Lucky Star, with Gotou Yuuko, AKA Gotouza! bringing the berserked Shiraishi under control, and actually managing to keep Akira-sama under wraps. Before leaving, she urges, or rather, coerces Shiraishi and Akira-sama to at least be nice to each other for one more episode.

- Silliest. Shiraishi ED. Ever. 'Nuff said.

- As for the preview, all the side characters wanted to say something, though it's Kagamin that calls the shots, revealing that the title for the final episode turns out to be "Undecided".

Kagamin: Wait, what do you mean "Undecided"!?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.