AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Download Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Azureus / Vuze Friends (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=67814)

scingram 2008-06-20 12:36

Azureus / Vuze Friends

Hey all,

So I have been playing around with the new version of Azureus / Vuze and wondered if any of you have signed in and have started using the Freinds option.

According to the info and the FAQ, the friends option allows for a speed boost in the torrent being downloaded by connecting directly to other friends downloading (or uploading) the same torrent.

I figure since we all download a lot of the same stuff setting up a friends list here may be beneficial to all of us.

If you want to give it a try, then you are welcome to search for me.
My username is Zaxxon55, and if you cant find me that way you can e-mail your friend request to scingram at yahoo.com.

Cronoss 2008-10-19 05:15

Hi my username on my azureus is cronoss
Thank You

felix 2008-10-19 08:24

I think that's not how exactly they work. I always use torrents when I want to send large amounts of files (like a few gigs of pictures for example); just because it's easier/faster and I can send it to a lot of people with little effort. Because they are in the same network or town the speeds go up to 7mb/s while otherwise if they were in a different country they would likely be considerably slower (we're talking kb/s speeds).

I think that's how the friends feature works as well. If you know people that live near you downloading the same stuff you can add them as friends and get a boost; but if your friends are just half a world away (while helping a little) it's not going to help you in a great way.

Just my guess~

Vexx 2009-05-01 13:47

Seems as good to ask here as anywhere?

Is there any particular reason *not* to switch from Azureus to Vuze?

Vuze seems "unnecessarily shiny" but so far I'm not seeing any reason for Vuze to be preferred. Actually the "shiny" makes me suspicious :)

felix 2009-05-01 14:01

You mixed it up. Also, I personally switch Vuze to Azureus mode and works fine.

Vexx 2009-05-01 14:57

wait, what? I was under the impression that Vuze was the "new Azureus". Either client "works fine" but Vuze has a lot of fluff that don't seem relevant to my needs (like the "friend boost" or the "hd network" crap). I've used Azureus for years (as well as uTorrent) -- was just asking if there was some compelling reason to use Vuze since a number of torrent sites are suggesting that instead of Azureus.

felix 2009-05-01 15:16

Vuze is Azureus, if you are wierd like me and don't like the extras go to: Options > Interface > Start > UI Chooser, and you can select the old Azureus from there. As for why switch, well besides the need to change the UI after install there's not much difference; its like with Vista motivation sums up to: "Oh! but there are a lot of improvements in the backend" lies.

Vexx 2009-05-01 15:26

Apparently I'm weird like you :) (but then I also prefer green on black for my terminal work)...

thanks (wanders off to tinker)

Cox 2009-05-03 22:05

I am still on Azureus 3.0. I don't have a reason to upgrade myself at all!

Vexx 2009-05-04 13:22

Hmmmm, update report .... I find it hard to consider Vuze an adequate replacement for Azureus when what it appears to be "whine-ware". Its starting to fling "donate" screens at me which require me to answer "yes, maybe, no". I find it hard to justify this being served up on Sourceforge with that kind of nonsense coded into it.