AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Hayate no Gotoku (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Hayate no Gotoku! Licensed by Bandai Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=68331)

darkchibi07 2008-07-04 21:06

Hayate no Gotoku! Licensed by Bandai Entertainment
 
Now something that was had me surprised, this got licensed by Bandai Entertainment!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...tokikake-manga

relentlessflame 2008-07-04 21:15

Since people will probably ask this question, there's no indication that this license includes the future second season, but of course this makes it more likely that the second season will be licensed at some point in the future.

For my part, this is great news! I was regretting not purchasing the R2 DVDs, but I always figured at the time that this had a pretty good chance to be licensed (this was before the old Geneon USA stuff went down). Glad to see that it's finally coming! :)

lotus7 2008-07-05 04:15

wow, I really didn't expect to see this get licensed. I hope they do a sub only release, as I cant see a lot of the jokes making a decent transition in a dub...

darkchibi07 2008-07-05 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus7 (Post 1702263)
wow, I really didn't expect to see this get licensed. I hope they do a sub only release, as I cant see a lot of the jokes making a decent transition in a dub...

That's silly talk! It will be dubbed! :D

therationalpi 2008-07-05 07:25

Very surprising, to me at least. The show is great, but I don't think it has the mainstream appeal to the western audience that I expect of licensed shows. Many of the jokes are japanese puns, other ones are very cultural, and the rest are aimed at Japanese otaku. DVD notes that cover it all are going to be expensive to print, and painstaking to write. It's also kind of long, 50+ episodes? That's gonna take years to get released.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think it will do very well, monetarily speaking.

Still, excited for a chance to buy the series in R1.

relentlessflame 2008-07-05 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by therationalpi (Post 1702411)
Very surprising, to me at least. The show is great, but I don't think it has the mainstream appeal to the western audience that I expect of licensed shows. Many of the jokes are japanese puns, other ones are very cultural, and the rest are aimed at Japanese otaku. DVD notes that cover it all are going to be expensive to print, and painstaking to write. It's also kind of long, 50+ episodes? That's gonna take years to get released.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think it will do very well, monetarily speaking.

Don't think I agree here. This is one of those shows that can be enjoyed both by younger audiences and otaku alike, which is reflected by when it aired (in a shounen block on Saturday mornings), the broadcast sponsors (P&G, McDonalds, etc.), and so on. It's a kids show with sort of "adult jokes" (but not in the dirty sense); it's a shounen property just like the manga. I certainly don't think the otaku appeal is any more restrictive than in, say, something like Lucky Star, which Bandai is currently releasing with liner notes to explain puns and cultural jokes. And with some of the new ways Bandai is releasing shows now (two-disc sets, and so on), it may not necessarily take as long as you think.

So, it obviously won't set the world on fire or anything, but I don't think there's any reason to believe it'll sell especially poorly, especially if it's released in the right way. Not to mention it was reasonably popular both here and on other Internet forums while it was airing, which is generally a pretty good sign. I think it'll do fine, personally.

zzeroparticle 2008-07-05 13:40

I'd agree to an extent mostly because I don't quite know what constitutes doing well or poorly in the R1 DVD market (does selling less than 5,000 dvds count as poor? What about 10,000?). I'd expect it to be able to break 5,000 at a bare minimum.

In any event, it does help that Hayate's manga has had about 7 or so volumes released stateside, which means that the potential audience has already been exposed to it. This should definitely help with it becoming popular if the marketing works out well if they can get Viz to help out with this one.

Katsu Koneko 2008-07-05 14:36

I'm also surprised that Hayate's been licensed and by Bandai no less. Wow.

I wonder if they'll add the character CDs in their limited edition boxes like with Lucky Star and Haruhi..

Lord Ryo 2008-07-06 05:57

Wow, I'm glad to see this licensed, and by Bandai to boot, good choice! I do hope to see special editions with CDs and whatnot, that stuff is always cool! The show it 52 episodes long I think, I hope this isn't going to be a 12 volume series or something, that's seriously going to hurt the wallet. T_T However I do hope they dub it, I would love to see this in English if it's done right, however if they decide not to dub it they'll probably stick like 8 episodes per disk making it less expensive.

lotus7 2008-07-06 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkchibi07 (Post 1702407)
That's silly talk! It will be dubbed! :D

Of course, i think it will get dubbed. What i meant was i hope they put out a sub only set of dvd's so i can get my hands on it a bit quicker than if i waited for the dubbed versions. And in this particular case, i'm not particularly interested in hearing a dubbed version. not that i have anything against dubs, but my personal feeling is that it won't transition well. i'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Ottocycle 2008-07-06 23:33

To be honest I find it really hard to see Hayate being released as a bundle with character CDs and whatnot, unless as extras-only with LEs, which is unlike the Haruhi OP/ED and character songs which have been available to be sold on their own in retail.

I see it more as a no-frills release with like 13-ep boxsets.

VRMN 2008-07-16 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by humbug23 (Post 1707865)
To be honest I find it really hard to see Hayate being released as a bundle with character CDs and whatnot, unless as extras-only with LEs, which is unlike the Haruhi OP/ED and character songs which have been available to be sold on their own in retail.

I see it more as a no-frills release with like 13-ep boxsets.

I agree, and think this is the perfect series to try that kind of approach, with a Geass-like "part" approach, though without the uber-edition (and maybe without the singles).

The character CDs and OP/ED CDs for this series are a lot more complicated to do than for Haruhi and Lucky Star. For Haruhi and Lucky Star, the opening and ending songs were song by the seiyuus and therefore are pretty easy to license. For Hayate, you had artists like Kotoko and Mami Kawada doing the songs, which is a separate license which Bandai probably doesn't have. As for the character CDs, though they avoid /that/ issue, they do have the issue of having short dramas on the discs. Those would need to be translated (and probably dubbed), which while Bandai's doing that for Geass' drama CDs, I don't think they see Hayate on that same level.

NDK 2009-04-08 18:19

Keep in mind Bandai is not Media Blasters so a sub only doesn't sound right.

MrTerrorist 2009-05-22 11:42

BTW are the English dub of this show out already? Cause this show is going to air in Animax-Asia in June, which i suspect with english dub.

frivolity 2009-05-22 19:18

Any predictions on the voice actors?

mitsuganae 2009-06-11 06:28

I just watched the first episode of the first season on Animax. I could be wrong, but I don't think Animax dubbed it themselves (I'm quite familiar with Animax's somewhat limited voice palette, having watched many of their dubs). Some of the voices sound like those from the licensed dub of R.O.D. the T.V. Maria, I think, is voiced by the same voice actress who did Yomiko Readman. Oh, they gave the narrator and Maria British accents -- god knows why (and maybe this factor is misleading my ears).

I'll watch it again in a few hours and listen more closely.

MrTerrorist 2009-06-11 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitsuganae (Post 2447172)
I just watched the first episode of the first season on Animax. I could be wrong, but I don't think Animax dubbed it themselves (I'm quite familiar with Animax's somewhat limited voice palette, having watched many of their dubs). Some of the voices sound like those from the licensed dub of R.O.D. the T.V. Maria, I think, is voiced by the same voice actress who did Yomiko Readman. Oh, they gave the narrator and Maria British accents -- god knows why (and maybe this factor is misleading my ears).

I'll watch it again in a few hours and listen more closely.

Your right, Animax own dubbing didn't dub this but they outsource the Hayate dubs to another company. I don't know the company's name but they already did dubs for Saiunkoku Monogatari(Under the title "Colourcloud Palace"), Read or Die OVA and Darker than Black for Animax. So far i love the dubs their doing since its good to hear new voices that aren't from Animax. Also i love the voices from this new company, especially on what they gave on Darker than Black.(British, Russian, New York Gangster, Film Noir Detective, Chinese etc.).

For a new dubbing company, their very good, i would like to know their company's name so can i thank the team for doing such great voice acting.

mitsuganae 2009-06-11 12:20

I agree, MrTerrorist -- that company has some wonderful voice artists. Didn't they also dub Blood+ for Animax as well? I'm fairly certain the dub Animax is broadcasting doesn't use Animax's voice artists.

If (as you say) that company dubbed the Read or Die OVA for Animax, it's somewhat strange to me after watching the dub of R.O.D the T.V. that Animax broadcasts (which is the licensed dub, I think). Yomiko and the Joker have British accents in the latter (and rightly so!), but in the former their accents are American.

Maybe it's a sign of the economic downturn that Animax is doing things like using other companies for dubbing, broadcasting the licensed dubs, or even just using subs (for Tears to Tiara and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood). They're rebroadcasting Nodame Cantabile with what seems to be the licensed dub (with some of the same voice artists as the licensed dub of Rurouni Kenshin). In any case, I do hope Animax's voice artists are not starving or anything like that!

MrTerrorist 2009-06-12 04:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitsuganae (Post 2447587)
I agree, MrTerrorist -- that company has some wonderful voice artists. Didn't they also dub Blood+ for Animax as well? I'm fairly certain the dub Animax is broadcasting doesn't use Animax's voice artists.

If (as you say) that company dubbed the Read or Die OVA for Animax, it's somewhat strange to me after watching the dub of R.O.D the T.V. that Animax broadcasts (which is the licensed dub, I think). Yomiko and the Joker have British accents in the latter (and rightly so!), but in the former their accents are American.

Maybe it's a sign of the economic downturn that Animax is doing things like using other companies for dubbing, broadcasting the licensed dubs, or even just using subs (for Tears to Tiara and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood). They're rebroadcasting Nodame Cantabile with what seems to be the licensed dub (with some of the same voice artists as the licensed dub of Rurouni Kenshin). In any case, I do hope Animax's voice artists are not starving or anything like that!

Okay i need to clarify some things for you. From now on i going to call the new company that's dubbing Hayate for Animax Asia as NDC(New dubbing company).

1. NDC didn't dub Blood+, it was dub by Sony Pictures Television International, the same people that did the Samurai X dubs.

2.As for the ROD series, this is where its gets weird. Before ROD the OVA was first aired on Animax-Asia, ROD TV was already airing in Animax using the English dub from New Generation Pictures Studios & which the series was publish outside of the Japan by Geneon. ROD OVA was already dub by Gaijin Productions & publish by Manga Entertaiment. Now logically, Animax Asia would just use the Gaijin Productions dub but yet for some unexplained reason, they had NDC do the dubs for its premiere on Animax Asia. I can tell because i have seen both the original dub & Animax dub.(eg. In the Animax dub Nancy doesn't like her codename "Miss Deep" because its not sexy but in the Gajin dub & original Japanese, she hated her codename because it sound like a pornstar. Also, the antagonists in the OVA were called the I-Jin but NDC called them "Great Men":confused:, because of that word, this is the only NDC dub i hate.

In a related note Animax-Asia for some reason they never uses the dubs done by Funimation & just uses their own dubbing team which is weird since i recall that Animax South Afirca aired Negima and uses the Funimation dub. I don't why but i suspect licensing issues with Funimation or/and the fact they want to tone down the foul language just like how they didn't use the original ADV Films dub for Air Gear but their own Animax studio dub. However, i haven't seen Red Garden which already aired on Animax Asia & is published by Funimation so im not sure if their using the Funi dubs or their own or NDC.

twinklestar 2009-06-16 00:33

Saw the english dubbed version of Hayate no Gotoku on Animax and its kinda weak honestly..BTW its dubbed by Red Angel Media of HK(that dubbing company was owned by former Omni Productions dubber,Mr Wait..)..Their dubs always aren't that great IMHO..

Red Garden was dubbed by the same team that dubbed Nodame Cantabile on Animax..:D Though some of the dubbers there kinda sounded like those dubbers from Blood+ aired in the U.S and on Animax(Nodame sounds like she's voiced by Kari Walhgren..)..

BTW Animax Asia acquired and aired a FUNimation dubbed anime and that's Full Metal Alchemist in 2006 and that dubs was fantastic(honestly R.O.D The TV and this one are the best english dubs on Animax)..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.