AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Windows 7, would you switch? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=76834)

guest 2009-01-14 04:56

Windows 7, would you switch?
 
I believe that microsoft is offering free download for windows 7 beta for the next two weeks. I have heard a lot about windows 7 being a lot better than vista. Have you tried windows 7? Would you switch now? What do you think of windows 7 vs vista?

Larthak 2009-01-14 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest (Post 2160256)
I believe that microsoft is offering free download for windows 7 beta for the next two weeks. I have heard a lot about windows 7 being a lot better than vista. Have you tried windows 7? Would you switch now? What do you think of windows 7 vs vista?

As stated pretty much everywhere (even by Microsoft), Windows 7 is what Vista "should have been". Reading that, imagine a user-friendly Win Vista, with most of the compability issues vanished, no UAC bugging you, some more minor tweaks done, UI slightly improved and simplified, etc.

So yes, I'll switch as soon as the final version comes out (knowing how the beta damages some mp3s when played). I mean, it can't be worse than Vista on its release, now THAT was tragic. And luckily, MS realized that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by problemedchild (Post 2160319)
The beta MP3 bug has been fixed already.

Glad to hear that.

problemedchild 2009-01-14 05:57

The beta MP3 bug has been fixed already.

I've been using Windows 7 64-bit for a few days now and I like it so far. However, I'm not using it full time as there seem to be weird playback issues. Crashed once while attempting to play anime already :heh:

I'm liking the new Windows considerably over XP and plan to switch as soon as it's out of beta. That and the fact I'm starting to run out of memory addresses under 32 bit.

martino 2009-01-14 06:07

So what is Windows 7? Vista with more bloat and useless stuff that is claimed to actually work or same amount that is once again claimed to work? No, thank you.

felix 2009-01-14 06:54

Lets give it a chance before we shoot it down as a wild fluffy thing.
But I agree, all this talk of being better is useless and likely tainted by new pretty useless graphics.

problemedchild 2009-01-14 07:20

Windows 7 has a smaller footprint than Vista AFAIK.

For you Vista haters out there, have you guys tried Vista? Granted, the launch wasn't very smooth, but you can't fault Microsoft when OEM's shitty drivers are causing a majority of the crashes and problems Vista had. It just seems like that the majority of the people saying Vista sucks heard it from a friend, who heard it from another friend that knows something about computers, who read about it online at 4chan of all places.

Larthak 2009-01-14 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by problemedchild (Post 2160411)
Windows 7 has a smaller footprint than Vista AFAIK.

For you Vista haters out there, have you guys tried Vista? Granted, the launch wasn't very smooth, but you can't fault Microsoft when OEM's shitty drivers are causing a majority of the crashes and problems Vista had. It just seems like that the majority of the people saying Vista sucks heard it from a friend, who heard it from another friend that knows something about computers, who read about it online at 4chan of all places.

Exactly my words. :p

I mean, I have Vista and I don't see that much of a major difference between that and XP. Not now, with SP1 getting rid of all the nuisances. It's just that people keep being stubborn about it. Who wanted to switch from 98 to XP back in the ol' days, eh? Was the same.

Btw, lately, every software is crap when it reaches its release date. Try playing any PC games on version 1.00 nowadays. Seriously, what a pain...

sa547 2009-01-14 09:20

Better give this thing a try (rather than to talk sarcastic without even actually trying the OS), as long as it's installed in a separate hard disk, and see if it'll work or fails to deliver. Then we make our judgment.

We all know that Microsoft got its butt fried for Vista (and in the past, 2000 and ME).

Miles Teg 2009-01-14 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulassassin547 (Post 2160531)
Better give this thing a try (rather than to talk sarcastic without even actually trying the OS), as long as it's installed in a separate hard disk, and see if it'll work or fails to deliver. Then we make our judgment.

Or you can use VirtualBox, Windows 7 works fine (as good as XP, way better than Vista) with 1024Mo of RAM and a 20GB HDD.

guest 2009-01-14 10:11

So if I am going to download and install windows 7, should I get another drive if I don't want to wipe out everything in my old drive running on vista? Is the installation easy? I tried to downgrade vista to xp but it tells me that i have to have a "floppy drive." geeze, who is using floppy drive these days? I don't so the installation fails and no way to go around that.

Miles Teg 2009-01-14 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest (Post 2160598)
So if I am going to download and install windows 7, should I get another drive if I don't want to wipe out everything in my old drive running on vista?

It's the easiest way. You could try to change the size of the partition where Vista is install to create a new one for 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest (Post 2160598)
Is the installation easy?

The installation is more or less the same as Vista, so very easy.

-KarumA- 2009-01-14 10:30

what is this Windows 7, is it like a new windows that was made after Vista o.o; ?

SeijiSensei 2009-01-14 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest (Post 2160598)
So if I am going to download and install windows 7, should I get another drive if I don't want to wipe out everything in my old drive running on vista?

I installed the beta into a virtual machine on top of Ubuntu Linux using VirtualBox. There are versions of VirtualBox for Windows and Mac OSX as well. I used the commercial version of VirtualBox and chose the "Windows 2008" option when asked which operating system I was installing. Worked fine.

You don't need another disk or anything else really, though you should have a decent amount of free space on your hard drive, say 20GB or so. VirtualBox creates a file that represents an entire disk drive to the "guest" operating system which in the case would be Win7. The guest OS is installed into this file.

I'm still sticking to Linux; I just want to be able to run the occasional balky Windows app or see how the websites I've designed look in IE. Oh, and to have a version of Windows I can run that doesn't phone home to use "Windows Genuine Advantage."

And yes, -KarumA-, Windows 7 is the successor to Vista.

KholdStare 2009-01-14 11:02

I have Vista and while I don't hate it, if I could somehow downgrade to XP I would. However, many people claim to have Vista working great with 4-8 gigs of RAM, and I only have 2 which makes Vista quite slow. So for me, once I disabled UAC, Vista was "just a bit slower" than XP. I can live with it. What I really want is to do a clean install of Vista to remove all the bloatware so 1 gig of my RAM doesn't get used when I start up my computer, although I'm not entirely sure how to do that either.

About Windows 7, I'll do the same thing. I'm not one of those people who installs pretty much anything and everything once it gets released, so I'll just wait for feedback. Chances are Windows 7 can't be worse than Vista, but I'm too cautious so I'll definitely wait for feedback.

-KarumA- 2009-01-14 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 2160647)

And yes, -KarumA-, Windows 7 is the successor to Vista.

what already?!
Were they too lazy to remove the Vista bugs and just decided to make a new one?
Well I'm just glad I stayed with XP :heh:

Larthak 2009-01-14 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by KholdStare (Post 2160649)
However, many people claim to have Vista working great with 4-8 gigs of RAM, and I only have 2 which makes Vista quite slow.

Yeah, task switching is a bit of pain with 2 GB. Works flawlessly with 4 though. The system keeps responding quickly. Win 7 will pretty much be the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -KarumA- (Post 2160682)
what already?!
Were they too lazy to remove the Vista bugs and just decided to make a new one?
Well I'm just glad I stayed with XP :heh:

More like they feared nobody would buy Vista even when it would be bug-free. So they rather decided to focus on a "new" OS. Can't blame them...such a wasted reputation.

-KarumA- 2009-01-14 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larthak (Post 2160738)
More like they feared nobody would buy Vista even when it would be bug-free. So they rather decided to focus on a "new" OS. Can't blame them...such a wasted reputation.

I feel sorry for the Vista users now :heh:
however they wont have the trouble with drivers when switching to Windows 7 unlike us XP users :(

martino 2009-01-14 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by problemedchild (Post 2160411)
Windows 7 has a smaller footprint than Vista AFAIK.

How much smaller then? Somehow with Vista's current footprint I can hardly see how they would manage to make it smaller to make a visible difference between them (by visible I mean a gig or two... not a couple hundred megs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by problemedchild (Post 2160411)
For you Vista haters out there, have you guys tried Vista? Granted, the launch wasn't very smooth, but you can't fault Microsoft when OEM's shitty drivers are causing a majority of the crashes and problems Vista had. It just seems like that the majority of the people saying Vista sucks heard it from a friend, who heard it from another friend that knows something about computers, who read about it online at 4chan of all places.

Not my case. The earliest version of Windows I remember starting from was 3.1, and 2000 was the last product that I was fully happy with. It run fast, didn't use 800MB of memory when you boot into it for the first time, and lastly, didn't take the user using it for an ass.

A heavy sigh follows everytime when I boot into Vista just to play a game, grrr DX10...

Speaking of Windows... didn't M$ mention a kernel rewrite at some point? Or will it share the same fate of WinFS?

KholdStare 2009-01-14 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larthak (Post 2160738)
Yeah, task switching is a bit of pain with 2 GB. Works flawlessly with 4 though. The system keeps responding quickly. Win 7 will pretty much be the same.

Here's to hoping Windows 7 will work well (faster) with 2 gigs. From what I've read on Wikipedia about the beta version,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to a performance test by ZDNet,[16] Windows 7 Beta has beaten both Windows XP and Vista in several key areas, including boot and shutting down time, working with files and loading documents.

So yeah, I have hope.

-Sho- 2009-01-14 14:06

Not for me , i will keep with vista ! windows 7 beta will kill your computer ...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.