AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Valkyria Chronicles (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Character discussion - Welkin (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=80878)

Skyfall 2009-04-24 13:00

Character discussion - Welkin
 
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Welkin related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Valkyria Chronicles fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

  • Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

  • Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

serenade_beta 2009-04-24 14:12

So far... Like the guy. His airheaded attitude is both irritating and entertaining at the same time. And really surprised when he predicted the fog by the bird. As expected of Welkin! Even if the tank plan felt all or nothing.......

Yu Ominae 2009-04-24 18:26

Actually, both in the anime and game versions are so cool.

Nice job to Susumu Chiba and Dave Wittenberg.

MrTerrorist 2009-04-25 05:50

I prefer the Game and manga version of Welkin. At least in both of those adaptation he's serious and doesn't act like an idiot.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-04-25 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 2361465)
I prefer the Game and manga version of Welkin. At least in both of those adaptation he's serious and doesn't act like an idiot.

I'm curious on how he has acted like an idiot. He is very knowledgable and he did come up with the battle plan that one his first fight as leader of squad 7.

If anything should against him it was that he was sort of a scaredy cat in the first 2 episodes. As for being an idiot he might say some questionable things from time to time (which he also does in the game), but thats not enough to merit someone as an idiot.

solembum 2009-04-25 14:37

chill.. I think what mr. terrorist wants to say is that welkin in the anime acts like an airhead. maybe he just chose the wrong word.. and there is also the word ACT. someone "acting" like an idiot it not necessarily and Idiot.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-04-26 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by solembum (Post 2362018)
chill.. I think what mr. terrorist wants to say is that welkin in the anime acts like an airhead. maybe he just chose the wrong word.. and there is also the word ACT. someone "acting" like an idiot it not necessarily and Idiot.

I'm sorry if I came across a little hostile, I wasn't trying too. Anyways I still kind of hold my ground on my statement though. Welkin acts like an airhead in the game as well. Although anime Welkin has done it more frequently, most notably in the first 2 episodes.

Both versions have a knack for saying the wrong things at times and being oblivious to certain things around them.

grylsyjaeger 2009-04-26 06:12

In the game Welkin volunteered straight up to fight the Imperial Scouts on the outskirts of Bruhl and once again when:

Spoiler:


In the anime to me so far he's being very cautious in how he gets involved in a war he doesn't want to be a part of which is understandable but I do prefer the game and manga versions myself.

But I'm still going to give Welkin a chance here, we're not even a quarter of the way through the series yet so there's still hope for him to redeem himself to me.

In Noce's words, if he hurts Alicia... I'll kill him. ;D

MrTerrorist 2009-04-26 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki (Post 2361823)
I'm curious on how he has acted like an idiot. He is very knowledgable and he did come up with the battle plan that one his first fight as leader of squad 7.

If anything should against him it was that he was sort of a scaredy cat in the first 2 episodes. As for being an idiot he might say some questionable things from time to time (which he also does in the game), but thats not enough to merit someone as an idiot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solembum (Post 2362018)
chill.. I think what mr. terrorist wants to say is that welkin in the anime acts like an airhead. maybe he just chose the wrong word.. and there is also the word ACT. someone "acting" like an idiot it not necessarily and Idiot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki (Post 2362857)
I'm sorry if I came across a little hostile, I wasn't trying too. Anyways I still kind of hold my ground on my statement though. Welkin acts like an airhead in the game as well. Although anime Welkin has done it more frequently, most notably in the first 2 episodes.

Both versions have a knack for saying the wrong things at times and being oblivious to certain things around them.

I was talking about on how Welkin acted to his squad. In the game and manga, Welkin was serious defending his sister from Rosie Racism and making a deal with Largo about capturing Vasel Bridge. In the anime, he acted it like was nothing when his sister was threatened by Rosie and look aloof when talking about his plan for Vasel Bridge. This is the reason i hate the anime version of Welkin since he acted like an idiot airhead who's not taking it seriously when dealing about the racism against of his sister and gaining the trust of his squad. If i was in Squad 7 and meet Anime Welkin, i would not be convince of his leadership since he acts like a fool but if i meet Game Welkin, I would immediately trust him since he's serious about his leadership in the squad.

Zlostur 2009-04-28 19:03

So far, I don't like him...:mad:

He's too carefree, too laid-back to be a squad commander. He needs to be more take-charge, more determined and more authoritative. I don't think I would follow a commander like him in a war. He should be traveling from place to place, looking at plants and animals instead of leading a military squad.

I haven't played the game, so I can't make any comparison there, but so far in the anime his character is not very impressive.

Tak 2009-04-28 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlostur (Post 2367605)
So far, I don't like him...:mad:

He's too carefree, too laid-back to be a squad commander. He needs to be more take-charge, more determined and more authoritative. I don't think I would follow a commander like him in a war. He should be traveling from place to place, looking at plants and animals instead of leading a military squad.

I haven't played the game, so I can't make any comparison there, but so far in the anime his character is not very impressive.

You are in fact, very right on the accusations you made about him.

Yet, to be fair, he did not want to be in the position forced upon him, that is none other than being a platoon leader. Yes, he'd much prefer to travel from place to place, looking at plants and animals instead of joining a military. Unfortunately, shit happens, and things you don't want to often come flying at you.

But, just because he is laid back does not mean he isn't thinking. He has proven to be a good strategist, even if he had proven to be less-than-conventional. Of course, to me, a good commander is one who can have his men undergo difficulties while survive the ordeal. That is enough for me.

- Tak (Yang Wen-Li, anyone?)

SoldierOfDarkness 2009-04-28 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlostur (Post 2367605)
He's too carefree, too laid-back to be a squad commander. He needs to be more take-charge, more determined and more authoritative. I don't think I would follow a commander like him in a war. He should be traveling from place to place, looking at plants and animals instead of leading a military squad.

Hardly, he's not stupid, maybe naive and optimistic but he's defintely not laid-back and carefree. He's confident in his abilities as well as his squad, especially Isara.

He's serious when he has to be, especially when he first met his squad. When it came to establishing his position as Squad leader, rather than wasting time arguing and flexing muscles, he went ahead and proved his worth as a commander to shut them up. Actions speak louder than words.

And if it wasn't for his passion for animals and plants, he wouldn't be able to score his victory at Vasel bridge and this wouldn't be the first.

So far he's demonstrated to be a capable leader that follows logic and is optimistic even when the situation looks grim. In fact, he should be optimistic because he's their commander, it's not good for a squad if your leader is freaking out and depressed.

Zlostur 2009-04-29 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak (Post 2367665)
You are in fact, very right on the accusations you made about him.

Yet, to be fair, he did not want to be in the position forced upon him, that is none other than being a platoon leader. Yes, he'd much prefer to travel from place to place, looking at plants and animals instead of joining a military. Unfortunately, shit happens, and things you don't want to often come flying at you.

But, just because he is laid back does not mean he isn't thinking. He has proven to be a good strategist, even if he had proven to be less-than-conventional. Of course, to me, a good commander is one who can have his men undergo difficulties while survive the ordeal. That is enough for me.

- Tak (Yang Wen-Li, anyone?)

Well, the position being forced on him isn't really an excuse, he can always step down and let Alicia or someone else be in charge. I never said he is stupid, he is a good strategist but a leader should be more than that. A leader should inspire his subordinates and fill them with confidence in his abilities with a very confident attitude. He does not express such confidence to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness (Post 2367796)
Hardly, he's not stupid, maybe naive and optimistic but he's defintely not laid-back and carefree. He's confident in his abilities as well as his squad, especially Isara.

He's serious when he has to be, especially when he first met his squad. When it came to establishing his position as Squad leader, rather than wasting time arguing and flexing muscles, he went ahead and proved his worth as a commander to shut them up. Actions speak louder than words.

And if it wasn't for his passion for animals and plants, he wouldn't be able to score his victory at Vasel bridge and this wouldn't be the first.

So far he's demonstrated to be a capable leader that follows logic and is optimistic even when the situation looks grim. In fact, he should be optimistic because he's their commander, it's not good for a squad if your leader is freaking out and depressed.

He does not need to me sad and depressed, just more inspirational.

As a character so far he is kind of "meh" to me...

kalbron 2009-04-29 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlostur (Post 2367997)
Well, the position being forced on him isn't really an excuse, he can always step down and let Alicia or someone else be in charge. I never said he is stupid, he is a good strategist but a leader should be more than that. A leader should inspire his subordinates and fill them with confidence in his abilities with a very confident attitude. He does not express such confidence to me.

Honestly inspiration through words or stature is relatively pointless in my view. Any decent speech writer combined with an orator, or a skilled athlethe can inspire people.

However leaders that, in battle, can win the trust of their soldiers AND keep them alive AND snatch victory from nowhere; now they are truly special and inspirational. Especially when they don't look the part. It's like finding out that Mr Average Joe managed to circumnavigate the globe in a bath tub, so why can't you?

Which is the kind of person Welkin is... in the game at least. He's showing signs of it so far in the anime, even if he's a bit more eccentric there than the game.

Tak 2009-04-29 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlostur (Post 2367997)
Well, the position being forced on him isn't really an excuse, he can always step down and let Alicia or someone else be in charge. I never said he is stupid, he is a good strategist but a leader should be more than that. A leader should inspire his subordinates and fill them with confidence in his abilities with a very confident attitude. He does not express such confidence to me.

He tried to step down. He asked Eleanor if the decision to make him platoon leader was justified. She replied that his actions in Bruhl more than qualifies him for the role.

Moreover, a good inspirational leader is one that people could trust. While he might not appear to be your typical soldier, he has yet to fail his mates. If you say a leader is one that fills confidence, then he is certainly doing that part. So far, he has not led his platoon astray, and clearly his platoon has confidence in him and his ability to win battles.

... why is Valkyria suddenly giving me LoGH vibes?

- Tak

SoldierOfDarkness 2009-04-29 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlostur (Post 2367997)
He does not need to me sad and depressed, just more inspirational.

As a character so far he is kind of "meh" to me...

What? Taking back one of the most strategic positions in the war within a day with just a squad isn't inspirational? I'm surprised they haven't (or never) given him a nickname.

I mean you got Hawk of Endymion, Ghost of Solomon, the red comet, all earned because each pilot performed admirably in those battles.

kalbron 2009-04-29 17:58

Surprisingly enough, Welkin doesn't even get a nickname in the game. Or even a promotion. He just gets references to the blood of heroes running in the family.

Only the squad gets anything, and it's as cliche as they come and probably predicted by anyone who noticed the number of the squad. The "Lucky Sevens". >_>

SoldierOfDarkness 2009-04-29 18:06

Yeah, even Gregor gets the nickname, "Demon of the Empire."

But really, you can't judge a book by its cover, Welkin can look dim at times but when needed he'll do what he can to pull through.

Onizuka-GTO 2009-04-30 04:39

funny enough, in the manga, they gave him a nickname.

I believe it was the "Blue Unicorn of Gallia"


edit: oh wait. my mistake. that was the nickname given to his father.

i guess he really doesn't have a nickname...

kaizerknight01 2009-04-30 12:15

I think his alias is "Gaillian Hero" or somthing along that line ..... It quite plain to me


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.