AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Playback Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Ogm & ssa (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=81236)

Tsukimiya 2009-05-03 02:17

Ogm & ssa

Hi all,

I have some anime episodes that is tied to both OGM and SSA. Does anyone know what is a SSA file for? Could it be a file that contains subtitles?

And for an OGM file, from what I heard, this format is used when the media file has multiple audio languages to choose from. Can anyone verify with me on this info?

Much thanks appreciated! :D

emptyeighty 2009-05-03 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsukimiya (Post 2375454)
Hi all,

I have some anime episodes that is tied to both OGM and SSA. Does anyone know what is a SSA file for? Could it be a file that contains subtitles?

OGM is a container that can hold video/audio and subtitles. In this case it looks like there aren't any internal subs, so the external SSA is used. If you have CCCP installed (or vsfilter more generally speaking), you should name the subtitle file like the movie (movie.ogm and movie.ssa for example). The subs should then automatically load when you play the movie.

Quote:

And for an OGM file, from what I heard, this format is used when the media file has multiple audio languages to choose from. Can anyone verify with me on this info?
As mentioned above it's a container, similar to Matroska (mkv). You could mux that ogm to mkv together with the SSA file, so you have one mkv with internal subs. You can do this with mkvtoolnix.

-KarumA- 2009-05-03 06:57

ogm is a format that was being used quite some time ago, when I would play them I would use VLC because it allows you to select what subtitle and audio language you want since .ogm holds multiple in one file

As time went on .ogm was being replaced by what we call now .mkv
.ssa is indeed a subtitle file which should load automatically if you name it after the video file

emptyeighty 2009-05-03 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by -KarumA- (Post 2375711)
ogm is a format that was being used quite some time ago, when I would play them I would use VLC because it allows you to select what subtitle and audio language you want since .ogm holds multiple in one file

CCCP does that just as well using Haali's splitter.

-KarumA- 2009-05-03 14:59

yes but if you use CCCP without setting priorities and you have multiple languages then WMP can be quite a pain since the older one doesn't allow you to quickly access the ones you want (language wise I mean)

ofc this is one's own preference for old .ogm files I tend to use vlc player because back then this was quite an annoying problem, it has become a habit for me to pick vlc for .ogm

emptyeighty 2009-05-03 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -KarumA- (Post 2376236)
yes but if you use CCCP without setting priorities and you have multiple languages then WMP can be quite a pain since the older one doesn't allow you to quickly access the ones you want (language wise I mean)

Right click Haali's try icon :)

Quote:

ofc this is one's own preference for old .ogm files I tend to use vlc player because back then this was quite an annoying problem, it has become a habit for me to pick vlc for .ogm
The real solution is to remux to mkv.

Tsukimiya 2009-05-03 23:45

Thanks for ur help! :)