AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   District 9 (AUGUST 2009) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=81372)

Kankel 2009-05-07 12:32

District 9 (AUGUST 2009)

Here is the trailer for a very interesting movie I came across today.The movie has a peculiar way of portraying aliens who seek shelter on earth.:uhoh:

Plot:
An extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on Earth suddenly find a kindred spirit in a government agent that is exposed to their biotechnology.

http://www.d-9.com/

Enjoy!!!:)

yongshun 2009-05-07 12:45

I saw the trailer of this when I went to watch Xmen Origins and it seems like a pretty cool premise.

Vexx 2009-05-07 12:55

Sounds..... a bit like the old movie Alien Nation in description. (off to find the trailer).

sa547 2009-05-07 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2382649)
Sounds..... a bit like the old movie Alien Nation in description. (off to find the trailer).

Hmmm... suddenly remembers that Alien Nation TV series.

Royal_Devil 2009-05-07 16:40

Based off this short film

-KarumA- 2009-05-07 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal_Devil (Post 2382897)
Based off this short film

very interesting =o
this movie's going on my watch list =D

Vexx 2009-05-07 22:57

ok... this looks like it may be a sleeper hit of the summer (or at the worst a beloved cult film). On my list to see...

james0246 2009-05-08 18:18

Neill Blomkamp is primarily a visual effects director (Blomkamp has a knack for weaving the CGI into realistic settings, especially in his short films), so when I heard that he was going to turn one of his short films (Alive in Joburg) into a full length feature, I was, of course, excited (I would have preffered Tempbot (mainly because Joburg is so obvious in its message), but beggars can't be choosers), and now, having seen the trailer, I am even more excited.

Nerroth 2009-08-08 16:50

There's a second trailer up for D9 now.

Only one week to go (in North America, at least)...

Kyero Fox 2009-08-08 18:29

anyone else think the alien race looks like the Gwarf from Megas XLR? even their mech thing looks like the Gwarfs :heh:

Drake 2009-08-08 21:11

Looks pretty dam awesome.

I always though the short would have made a good movie so hopefully i'm not dissapointed.

Shinoto 2009-08-08 21:40

Hype Hype Hype!

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-08-08 22:16

I've been anticipating this movie for months now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyero Fox (Post 2568679)
anyone else think the alien race looks like the Gwarf from Megas XLR? even their mech thing looks like the Gwarfs :heh:

Now that you pointed that out, indeed they do.:heh:

rainnydaiis 2009-08-09 02:43

I cannot wait for this movie. Ever since I heard the news from Comicon about the previews there. Knowing that the director isn't a well known director at all makes it all the more interesting. Seeing that it has a huge amount of hype.

Haven't seen a sci-fi in a while that tried to tell a message to the public through its storyline. Everything lately is just flashy and blows up on screen.

prometheus126 2009-08-09 20:50

Looks amazing and original. Most likely will bomb at the box-office sadly.

Miyuki-ism 2009-08-09 23:05

Damn, it looks pretty good.

Kytherno 2009-08-10 02:17

It looks pretty amazing. I'mma go see if it, if i get the chance. But I have been pretty busy lately.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-08-14 22:46

Just got back from seeing this and it was the most enjoyable movie of the year (heck, one of the most enjoyable in recent memory) for me. With a summer that's been pretty lackluster in terms of films this was a breath of fresh air.

Now the plot did fall into the "unlikley" category at times, but the central ideas, designs, and acting are so well delivered that I found myself looking past it all and just having a damn good time watching this film.

I honestly can't say until I see it a few more times if this is one of my favorite Sci-fi films of all time, but at this moment it sure feels like it is.

Nosauz 2009-08-15 00:00

Holy shit, just saw this, one of the best scifi movies done in a long time. The whole time I was watching this movie, I was saying to myself, if there was a fucking theatrical game tie in, I would be playing it, even if it was 60 bucks. Everything about this movie screams brilliance, the direction is fabulous, its poignant, yet real. The notion of xenophobia is really well displayed through van wallis' character traits, how he behaves and how he changes. Albiet when I first started watching the movie I was thinking DearS but man this story is engrossing, I loved it, I'll probably give a more thought out review tomorrow because man that movie is exilerating and i'm probably rambling now.

Kaioshin Sama 2009-08-15 00:51

I definitely want to see this at the earliest opportunity. Something tells me this is going to be an important film years down the road.