AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anime Rec. For Kids? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=91717)

SeppoD 2010-02-25 00:34

Anime Rec. For Kids?

Hello! :smile:

I've been watching various series with my younger sisters and I'm at a loss as to what to show them next - maybe someone can give me a few ideas? It has to have a dubbed version as they're not quite mature enough to sit still for subtitles and nothing too explicit..

They loved Ouran High School Host Club, Card Captors, and Fruits Baskets.. I was thinking of Princess Tutu but I heard the dub ruined that one.. Any other suggestions?

Last Sinner 2010-02-25 00:48

Sounds like they like shoujo/shows with kids.

Kimi ni Todoke
Hanamaru Kindergarten
Kamichu
Miyazaki movies (Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro would be the most kid-like ones)
Whisper of the Heart

SeppoD 2010-02-25 00:56

Thank you! I know they've already seen most of Miyazaki's movies and adored them - even own the dvds. I'll look into the other ones and try them out. :D

qwertyuiopz 2010-02-25 03:05

azumanga daioh
kamichu
igpx...its on youtube and has a very good dub cast, the kid from 6th sense, the original luke skywalker and michelle rodriguez <3

not sure about the other two having dubs but it should

jedinat 2010-02-25 03:23

Full Moon o Sagashite
Kaleido Star
Stellvia
Angelic Layer

I don't know about the dubs, but you might take a look at those.

SeijiSensei 2010-02-25 08:26

Try these threads:

http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=girls
http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children

Angelic Layer and Chi are both good choices, and both are available for free at Crunchyroll, as are two other excellent options, Erin and Natsume Yuujinchou. Unfortunately they're only carried with subtitles. Angelic Layer is on DVD with dubs as well. Shows appropriate for kids often have pretty simple dialogue, though, so your sisters might be able to keep up with some of them.

Funimation streams a lot of its shows with dubs. Of those available, I'd recommend School Rumble.

I'd also strongly recommend Cross Game if you are willing to cope with fansubs. It's nearly complete, but there are already 45+ episodes available.

Ash Falls Town 2010-02-25 08:53

Princess Tutu is generally considered one of the better dubs at least in my experience among dub fans. It's probably the dub I've seen praised the most actually. At the very least the dubbed German is much better.

Some people do complain about how they translated Ahiru as Duck since it's a proper name but Ahiru isn't a real Japanese name anyway.(Translation convention suggests her "real" name would be Ente.)

Kleo Scanti 2010-02-25 11:20

Adventures of Mini-Goddess is a nice fun series. She may also watch Oh! My Goddess! the OVA first to know who the characters are, though it's not necessary.

SeppoD 2010-02-25 17:34

@qwertyuiopz Azumanga Daioh! I forgot about that one. Kamichu looks great after I checked it out. I'm not sure about IGPX - don't know how they'll react to mecha. xD But, I'll try it. :'3

@jedinat Kaliedo Star looks cute and I'm pretty sure the youngest will like it - kinda sounds like Fancy Lala. I couldn't find any dub for Stellvie, which is a pity since it looks great. >: But Full Moon o Sagashite and Angelic Layer are definates. ^^

@SeijiSensei I'll have to try Chi with subs, it may work it out, but I'm not certain. If it does, though, I'll head right on to Cross Game and the others. :3 Romantic comedy seems awesome - they loved Ouran, after all, so School Rumble is on the list!

@Ash Falls Town Really? I'll have to look at them myself then - Princess Tutu was an awesome series. :'3 I'd love to show it to them.

@Kleo Scanti That seems like a cute series. :3 I was thinking of showing them the Ah! My Goddess! series anyway, actually. ^^

bhl88 2010-02-25 17:38

Sazae-san
Doreamon
Ponyo
Pokemon

Guardian Enzo 2010-02-25 19:59

is Gakuen Alice dubbed? I think it's a wonderful and smart series for kids.

SeppoD 2010-02-27 01:25

@bhl88 They already own Ponyo! ^^ The first two look like they don't have a dub, though, and I was hoping to show them something they didn't already watch on TV.. xD Thanks, though! :3

@ Guardian Enzo I think it is - I see an English casting for it, anyway. ^^ I don't know if it's out on dvd yet, but I'll look into it. :'3 Thanks~!

james0246 2010-02-27 02:22

I wasn’t quite sure of the age of your younger sisters, but assuming that they are closer to their tweens than the teens, how about one of my favored children's anime Mujin Wakusei Survive. A take-off on Swiss Family Robinson/Robinson Crusoe with a slight Lost-esque vibe, Survive is a fun kids series about several children in the future who, during a field trip in space, crash land on an uninhabited alien world, and must forage for food and create shelters in order to survive. It is not scary (well, maybe a little tense, but not really scary), and despite its 54 episode length, the series moves along at a nice pace. Good strong female characters also add to the value of this show. Sadly, no dub of the show exists, and probably never will. Still, I highly recommend this fun series.