AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   K-On! (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Dubbing of K-On! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=95123)

CrowKenobi 2010-07-04 14:38

Dubbing of K-On!
 
This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of K-On!.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, youíre free to disagree with another personís opinion, but donít flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, itís true. Theyíre human. Therefore, donít just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if theyíre inorganic objects. You donít have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.

Dark Paladin X 2010-07-04 18:04

Why do we have this thread? There isn't any confirmation from Bandai that this show is getting dubbed (nor from Eric P. Sherman that this is the Bang Zoom! "other title" that he mentioned). And there could be possibilities that the "other" Bang Zoom! title would either be Durarara!! or other Bandai's titles that have yet to be dubbed (sola, Kannagi, and Hayate the Combat Butler!).

But just to start off...here is what I'm guessing:

Yui Hirasawa- Michelle Ruff
Ritsu Tainaka- Kari Wahlgren
Tsumugi Kotobuki- Wendee Lee
Mio Akiyama- Stephanie Sheh
Azusa Nakano- Laura Bailey
Ui Hirasawa- Hynden Walch
Sawako Yamanaka- Kate Higgins
Nodoka Manabe- Karen Strassman

shyezrylei 2010-07-04 20:32

English dubs are always good news to me until I hear out some of them... But really, it enables me to show animes to my friends and family because a lot of people don't like reading subs all the time. It's always a good thing to just sit and relax, watch and listen to awesome anime (if it's a good dub) and hit it up a little.

BlackKnightKanos 2010-07-05 04:44

Wait, are we talking about the Bang Zoom one aired in Animax or the one yet to be released?

twinklestar 2010-07-05 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKnightKanos (Post 3121975)
Wait, are we talking about the Bang Zoom one aired in Animax or the one yet to be released?

The ones by Bang Zoom! and not that Hong Kong english dub by Animax Asia.

Michelle Ruff as Yui Hirasawa?That's kinda odd to be honest though not really a bad choice.

GMT 2010-07-05 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKnightKanos (Post 3121975)
Wait, are we talking about the Bang Zoom one aired in Animax or the one yet to be released?

Animax and Bang Zoom Entertainment have nothing to do with each other. The Animax dub was done in Hong Kong for the southeastern Asia market. Bang Zoom Entertainment is an ADR company based in the United States; and is considered to be the most likely American dub company to be doing an R1 dub . . . should Bandai actually release K-ON!! as a dub and not a sub-only title.

Yui Is My Wife 2010-07-05 09:10

Yui-chans voice actress has to be as adorably cute as the original in the following scene to pass:

If I was in charge of the auditions. ;)

BlackKnightKanos 2010-07-05 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMT (Post 3122160)
Animax and Bang Zoom Entertainment have nothing to do with each other. The Animax dub was done in Hong Kong for the southeastern Asia market. Bang Zoom Entertainment is an ADR company based in the United States; and is considered to be the most likely American dub company to be doing an R1 dub . . . should Bandai actually release K-ON!! as a dub and not a sub-only title.

Mega confused!

MeoTwister5 2010-07-05 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKnightKanos (Post 3122460)
Mega confused!

There's a difference in the voice acting in each region. This is why the K-On dub Animax did that we get here on cable is a pile of crap.

Cyz 2010-07-05 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X (Post 3121233)
But just to start off...here is what I'm guessing:

Yui Hirasawa- Michelle Ruff
Ritsu Tainaka- Kari Wahlgren
Tsumugi Kotobuki- Wendee Lee
Mio Akiyama- Stephanie Sheh
Azusa Nakano- Laura Bailey
Ui Hirasawa- Hynden Walch
Sawako Yamanaka- Kate Higgins
Nodoka Manabe- Karen Strassman

Uh...I don't think Michelle Ruff would be suitable for Yui because she has a deep voice. I think she would be better playing Mio instead. That's just me anyway. Maybe Yui should be played by Carrie Savage...I guess.

hinakatbklyn 2010-07-05 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyz (Post 3122479)
Uh...I don't think Michelle Ruff would be suitable for Yui because she has a deep voice. I think she would be better playing Mio instead. That's just me anyway. Maybe Yui should be played by Carrie Savage...I guess.

She (Michelle Ruff) hasn't voiced too many characters with a cute voice these days, but she has before and I think she can do it again as Yui. Carrie Savage could also voice Yui, but I think she is more suited for Ui.

bhl88 2010-07-05 12:14

I think Patricia Ja Lee would do her uber cute Yui's voice, like Patty-chan.

Dark Paladin X 2010-07-05 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn (Post 3122537)
She (Michelle Ruff) hasn't voiced too many characters with a cute voice these days, but she has before and I think she can do it again as Yui.

Backing on your statement, she does have a large vocal range and Michelle Ruff did a cutesy voice before.

Spoiler for one of other Michelle Ruff's VA works:


Another reason is that despite not being typecast into particular roles, she doesn't seem to have a lot of lead character roles.

Afternoon Tea 2010-07-05 19:39

OFFICAL dub from animax lol its okay u just need to get a little used to it okay! not the best.. :heh: I want to see what Bandai Dub is going to sound like ---> heres there site http://www.animax-asia.com/k-on

Part 1




please restrain from Facepalming there voices dont sound high pitched lol :D

Kudryavka 2010-07-05 21:40

Did she say "Ittekimasu" or "It's 8 o clock" in the beginning?

The Animax VAs kinda ran over little quirks in the original JPN script, like Yui's "Tch" at Nodoka when she accuses her of being a NEET and Ritsu's rip onomatopoeia when tearing up Mio's club application. I hope the Bandai VAs strive to preserve these, since they help the show's light atmosphere imho.

Other than that, nice dub, though I'm also in the HighpitchedYuiplz club.

Need More Coffee 2010-07-06 00:27

In general, Yui's lovable absentminded yet thoughful and lovable stupidity is completely gone in the Animax performance, particularly in the flashback where she begs for icecream.

And the Hong Kong Dub has TOTALLY wrecked Mugi's gentle and beautiful voice. :(

Let's hope the American dub does a lot better. :)

Afternoon Tea 2010-07-06 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need More Coffee (Post 3123949)
In general, Yui's lovable absentminded yet thoughful and lovable stupidity is completely gone in the Animax performance, particularly in the flashback where she begs for icecream.

And the Hong Kong Dub has TOTALLY wrecked Mugi's gentle and beautiful voice. :(

Let's hope the American dub does a lot better. :)

I have High Hopes for Bandai Just because they did Lucky Star and haruhi suzumiya, lets go for a 3rd great Dub!

Ithekro 2010-07-06 02:15

I don't know about Hong Kong dubs, but Hong Kong subs are terrible. It is almost like they translated to Chinese and then translated to English and as a result mesed up almost every pronoun possible or translated proper nouns into there meaning rather than leave them alone (I hate it when a planet or person that is name in the Japanese using an English word gets translated into the Japanese/Chinese word, then translated back into the English meaning of the Japanese/Chinese word...that is no longer the English word the Characters said on screen.) It is very noticable when the Japanese singer is singing in English and the English subtitles don't match the words she's singing. The context of what she is singing is there...but not the words she actually sang...in English.

serenade_beta 2010-07-06 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee (Post 3123412)
Part 1

New character, Rehtsu

shyezrylei 2010-07-06 05:40

I remember watching this dub and the voices sound bland to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.