Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-23, 10:49   Link #2638
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The first episode is one of my favorite episodes in all anime. But I agree it probably turned a lot of people off, partly because of the gender issues, partly because it was somewhat hard to follow because of the terminology and the unusual situation.

To call it "weak" is using the wrong word, in my opinion, since I consider it extremely strong, especially in killing off one of the main characters almost immediately. But it certainly did not accomplish the aim of sucking in every viewer.

I've seen a similar phenomenon with the first episode of Touka Gettan. It was very hard to understand, so a lot of people made what I consider the mistake of abandoning that show early, too. Not that Touka Gettan is anywhere near the show Simoun was, but it does have a lot going for it.

The situation with Eri/Erif in the second episode is played perfectly, in my opinion, and to have her change into a female would be much less powerful. Her/his cry of despair was one of the highlights of the series, for me.

I believe that the US version of Simoun is just going to have subtitles and not dubbing, so I'm not sure if it's going to make TV -- although I don't know, since I don't watch anime on TV. Do any subtitled anime get onto US TV?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-08-23 at 11:40.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote