View Single Post
Old 2007-12-19, 10:35   Link #45
Hanxue
Banned

hurf de durf leechers today don't have any appreciation for any of the hard work we do, things were always better in the divx3 era if not in the laserdisc era if not even before that ;_;
Why do I have a feeling I've heard all this before? I was around during that time as well, I ran my own Fserve for a while and I eventually ended up fansubbing (although I'm mostly retired now), but I really think you're either seeing it through the rose-colored glasses of hindsight, or you're just being bitter about the current state of affairs.
I hang out (read: lurk) on IRC a lot, and it's as active as ever. Sure, people don't run Fserves a lot anymore, but they still visit group channels, use XDCC bots, discuss the latest releases, swap links, play trivia games, thank the fansubbers for the releases and just hang around in general. A lot of them also ask questions about how they could help out. I don't see any signs whatsoever of a declining community here, rather the opposite; it's a lot more chill, a lot less elitist and has just generally become nicer over the last few years. There's also a lot more forums and blogging activity than there used to be. The degree of involvement hasn't gone down (I think it's actually gone up), it has just taken other forms.

Actually, to stop skirting around the issue: can you people stop it with the passive-aggressive elitism? I'm mostly talking about Ledgem here. I know you've been around for ages and that you deserve some amounts of respect for that, but implying that everyone who hasn't been along for as long as you have is an egosubber and/or isn't "contributing to the community" (however you want to define that) is definitely not being a nice member of the community in my opinion.

Last edited by Hanxue; 2007-12-19 at 10:46.
Hanxue is offline   Reply With Quote