View Single Post
Old 2008-02-22, 23:39   Link #30
k-profiler
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
There is such a thing as "luck flow" but it's misleading to call it luck, it's strategy along the lines of tile counting, assumptions based on mean hand composition, expected values on draws, and such.
It's true that "nagare", the word for "flow" can have different meanings when used in different contexts.

However, in the books and web content I've read, and I think I've read a fair amount of both, whenever the author mentions "luck flow" he usually means just that: Unbacked superstition! Make no mistake about it, there is a whole school of Mahjong strategy devoted to studying nonsense like that.

When I've read stuff written by people who advocate systematic mathematical play based on expected value, "hai kouritsu" or "tile counting" etc, I don't think I've once seen the word "luck flow" mentioned.

I think we're on the same line here, but I just wanted to make a point that there is a huge difference between the concepts of "the flow of the game" and "luck flow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Hikaru no Go, possibly Shion no Ou. With the exception of the match that ended Sai's life there wasn't any cheating in HnG really. If you're talking about mahjong exclusively, it doesn't exist.
Katayama Masayuki's Mahjong mangas are one of the most entertaining comics I've ever read, and they don't have any cheating involved as far as I can remember. They're usually about real-world competitive Mahjong.

Cheating is an easy way to make a game like Mahjong sell as entertainment, but I bet if you dig deep enough you can find lots of stuff that involves no cheating whatsoever.

Peace.