View Single Post
Old 2008-02-23, 17:34   Link #1054
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think that I'm beginning to see your reasoning. However, the baseline for what is and isn't Gundamlike is the original set of shows: Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, and ZZ. In this regard, Seed is probably closer than most of the other non-UC works.
I'd say it differently. I think that the first MSG and Zeta are most similar to SEED among all the Gundam shows that share the specific "non-CE-ness". But still, what makes them so similar are just some plot occurences, not chara/mecha designs (not counting obvious homages like zakus, goufs or doms), modernized graphics, the mood etc. which are completely different. Ultimately, stylistically, MSG and Zeta fit more into the frames of old-school "realistic" dark war story rather than to the warm-colored-soap-drama style represented solely by SEED/Destiny.

Quote:
That isn't really necessarily true. While the protagonist is usually defined as the main character of a story, what it really means is that it's who the story is about. Gundam Seed Destiny is much more about Durandal trying to enact his Destiny Plan than it is about Shinn and his struggles or Cagalli trying to recover her nation or Kira going back to war again or even Lacus trying to foil Durandal.
To me, it's like saying that The Star Wars movies are much more about Palpatine who realizes his plan of conquering the universe than Anakin Skywalker and his struggles or Obi Wan's road to glory or Luke Skywalker's adventures. But maybe it's just me.

Quote:
The fact that most viewers wouldn't identify themselves with Durandal isn't all that important since most readers aren't supposed to necessarily identify with Don Quixote or Sherlock Holmes or any number of unusual protagonists in literature.
One thing. Sherlock and Don Quixote HAD most of the reader's attention focused on them. It's like they had literary "most screentime" among the protagonists of the stories. Just like Kira in SEED. Or Shinn in Destiny, but only until the second half of the show, sadly.

Last edited by Sir Dearka; 2008-02-23 at 17:47.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote