View Single Post
Old 2008-03-17, 13:44   Link #132
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
NO. NO. NO. More NO.

He said he would do things properly. So we expect him to do things properly. If he isn't going to do things properly and if he is just going to keep moving in the reverse direction then they shouldn't have had episode 10. Episode 11 just makes episode 10 look like a filler or a delay tactic which is probably what it is.

They are trying to fill up episodes because they couldn't find or think of anymore content. More than half of episode 10 and 11 had nothing but scenes that doesn't contribute anything to the story. It's the same old thing that we saw over and over from the past episodes.

Of course we expect Shin to be a man, move forward and do what men do in animes- fix confusing situations and love triangle. This is what anime shows are. Even if the anime shows the main character as weak, unsure, unconfident, etc, they get a moment of realization and then boom- they are now Mr. Fix It. We received that show already where he realizes things and even promised to do things properly.

But did he fix anything? Of course not. The writers couldn't come up with enough story so they created episodes like these to delay or fill things up. This episode is like an announcement - "We ran out of ideas so Mr. Fix It won't come out till episode 12 but rest assured he will fix the Noe situation, the Jun situation and carry off Hiromi to the sunset and live happily ever after starting episode 12 of course".

So to summarize- Shin is not acting the way we would expect him to act or should act. It is not because it is his character traits, and character development but it is because the writers need 1-2 more episodes of things that has nothing to do with the story so that they can reach the goal of 13 episodes.
Your view of what "men do in animes" seems to be limited to very proactive characters or at least characters who can somehow go from being totally "go with the flow" guys to becoming proactive guys. Shin is decidedly not either of those kinds of characters, and he has never been that kind of guy if you've been watching 1-10, so I have no idea why you're applying anime stereotypes here.

You seem to be expecting Shin to act like Jun would act in this situation (as hinted at in the preview if that is indeed towards Noe), but Jun is the kind of guy that just acts on impulse after deciding what he thinks is best in a situation.

Shin, on the other hand, doesn't really seem to know how to act in this episode, which is why he meanders all the way to the end; it can't possibly be that easy for him to go from what he's been to this "Mr. Fix-it" that you claim he can become so easily.

I'm not buying your argument that he can go from zero proactivity to Jun-like amounts in a single or two episodes without some significant development. Noe's actions at the end of 11 will most likely be what forces him to move.

While I agree with you and Ascaloth that the anime has lost some of its perceived momentum, that was due to the writers deciding to go for a much broader resolution rather than delaying a lot of the major actions until later. We saw most of the big plots play out before Jun crashes his bike and after that we're led into a slowdown, so that hug from Shin to Hiromi might have been the first climax in some sense. After ep 9, I just expected the show to play out like a resolving drama without too many major ploys.

That's why I was kind of suspicious as people kept trying to come up with big "dramafest" ideas like having Hiromi say "the one you like isn't me" to Shin. Sure it would have spiced things up, but the writers seem to have solely embraced resolution for the last 1/3 of the anime...

Last edited by vio5555; 2008-03-17 at 13:57.