View Single Post
Old 2008-03-19, 07:41   Link #470
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I had great hopes for the RP-PvP concept.... but there were simply too many who either didn't grasp what RP was about or they were too juvenile, negative, or posturing to just play the part. Mostly I blame the mods for not moderating or setting the standards clearly.

I also love PvP for the excitement and danger which was nerfed out of PvE (waaaah!!! I died because I have to think to get this quest! Waah, dying "hurts"! ... sorry, I remember when it was actually *dangerous* to get from lvl 1 to lvl 10 in an MMO)

but I'd rather RP....
Big big big +1 here. My feelings exactly. I've PvP'd plenty, in EQ and WoW. UO had its share. L2, too. Though both of those communities had decent anti-PK squads.

The problem is most people are very petty and stupid about it, which tends to ruin the experience. I don't mind having a random fight with somebody, and dying to them. But when they, whatsicalled, 'teabag' you? or spew totally OOC garbage while doing so, then yeah. Not so fun.

After years of MMOs, when it came time for me to WoW (I was adverse to it for a good while, but a friend bought it for me in the end) I started on a PvP server there with said friend, only to find the community worse than any I'd encountered before. Just as I suspected. I played my free month out, and then the day I was quitting, I saw a new server launch.

Shadow Council. "RP server" I thought. Gave it a shot, and enjoyed the game a million times more. I'm not a 'heavy' RPer, but I enjoy interacting IC, so it was brilliant. Played on and off there for several years, been in top raid guilds both alliance and horde side. Done plenty of world PvP... until battlegrounds lowered the amount of permaflagged folk. Arenas post-BC increased the numbers again. People felt a bit safer with > 10k HP and 300 resilience. =p Had some fun with it, but still not much world PvP to speak of.

But I still enjoyed random IC encounters. Never got involved in 'storylines' people ran, but I'd wander around cities and towns 'IC' and outside of raids or guild instance runs, would always reply to people in an IC fashion. Made it a lot more enjoyable all-round. Though tended to confuse the kids in guilds like 'hidden sound village' with names like "saysukay". >.< Anyway, I rant.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote