View Single Post
Old 2008-04-10, 16:04   Link #61
Sol Falling

hm, not quite sure I can say I'm not. The thing is, so many people assert their own standard of good and evil that 'the Britannian Empire is bad', that 'Suzaku is wrong', that 'Lelouch's manipulative actions are necessary' in these threads about Code Geass, when things actually aren't so black and white. And their primary motivation for holding these opinions is because they want Lelouch to win and think Lelouch deserves to win. It's pretty unreasonable.

When I watched episode 22, I was absolutely stunned. Struck dumb by the utter, pointless tragedy of it all. Redemption for both Lelouch and Suzaku, and Euphemia's person and ultimately her life, were all dashed in a single moment. That was the moment that defined Code Geass as a tragedy for me.

But when I went online to share and define and appreciate that feeling with other people, I saw all over the place various assertions of "it wouldn't have worked anyway". There were people who were such diehard fanboys of Lelouch's 'Zero' persona, who were so invested in the idea of Lelouch rising in violent rebellion against a collosal empire to slay his father, that they refused to allow themselves to see the tremendous loss that a couple careless words had cost so many people. It was obnoxious, to say the least.

These people are allowing their personal identification with a (not even a realistic image of) a single character to hinder their ability, and that of other people, to appreciate a good story. In the end it would be true to say that I can't force anybody otherwise, and maybe shouldn't try to futilely push against the opinion of a majority. I'm not gonna pretend that they're not violating my own standard of good, evil, right, and wrong, though.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote