View Single Post
Old 2004-04-10, 10:49   Link #31
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa_Gigantea
going back to girls , has anyone seen Brother dear Brother? it predates Maria-sama by about 25 or so years and was made into 39 episode anime in early 1990's . Similar concept about girls with strong feelings for other girls set in a sorority type setting. The difference is that the characters are not all that loveable as Maria-sama. They have ISSUES and some could benefit from some psychiatric counselling but I find it a very interesting and complex relationship and character driven story that crosses the friendshipg-shoujo ai line.
I've seen episodes 1-20 of BDB, and yes, the concept is very similar (young, pure, innocent and quite normal girl brought to the attention of the Greater Powers of the school - in fact, the Yuri Ml already did the comparison Marimite / BDB or Utena). The main difference is that BDB, being a work from Riyoko Ikdeda, is overly dramatical (IMO, and according to what i know of Ikeda-sensei works, meaning Versailles no bara). Marimite is way more tame and uneventful ^^

And the lesbian thing... Please, stop seeing lesbians at every corners. Apart maybe the Sei x Shiori episode, the relations in the serie are mainly sexless and more a question of mutual respect and strong friendship. Well, I think ^^.