View Single Post
Old 2008-05-19, 09:31   Link #616
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Em View Post
i've been watching anime for over ten years now and since then, some questions about japanese cultures have been accumulating on my mind. Note that i dont mean any harm with these questions and if someone is offended by them, i apologize.
No problem, i don't know which country you come from, but me being a brit and growing up on hollywood, nickelodian and disney, i'm sure i had a many false image of America as does the rest of the world via cable and satellite before I actually went over there to see for myself what it was really like and how the people were.
The same can be said for anime; there's only so much you can learn about japan or can apply to real life there now unless you go there and see it for yourself. (especially with language)
Anyways, to answer your questions:

Quote:
1. Is karaoke really that popular in Japan? Most animes have these events, usually happening after parties or such.
Yep, karaoke is cheap and has it's own chain stores around Tokyo in many many towns (karaoke kan, being one of the most famous)
Consider it a pastime alike bowling, going to the movies or going shopping. Of course not everyone likes to sing, but then the japanese are good at being entertaining people when drunk...

Quote:
2. Ganguro and Lolita. Do they exist? those playing cosplays in Akihabara are excluded of course.
I've only seen them in Shibuya, Akihabara and the most reknown 'Harajuku' on the bridge area. They exist. I doubt the girls (and guys too) actually live their lives like that, most do it as a hobby, they design stuff and model it on weekends, then go home to 'normal' lives.

Quote:
3. Are girl's uniform skirts really that short(thigh level)? and are bloomers common?
bloomers.. you mean the 1980's knee length socks? yes unfortunately they are used a fair bit and as for short skirts, some are.
By default they're knee length but it doesn't stop girls raising them up or buying shorter lengths, similar to what try to do over here too...

Quote:
4. Just some clarification, Valentines day in Japan is when girls give chocolates to their loved ones, family, boss, colleagues and such. White day is when guys pay back and treat girls. Am i correct?
Yep. Valentines day over there, doesn't have the absolute 'love' connection as it does in the West, if you have time, google or wiki 'giri choco' and check that out.
It's seen more as a 'duty' a girl must do for her male work colleagues and of course tons of money are spent on how to make the best homemade one, etc etc...

Quote:
5. Which is more likely to confess, boys or girls?
Depends on the individual. If you mean 'love' that is.

Quote:
6. Do girls really wiggle their bottoms and shout 'kawaii' when they see something really cute?
wiggle their bottoms? What kinda anime you watching there I wonder...
as for 'kawaii' (the most overused word over there ever) ><;;;;
yes, if something is cute, pretty, beautiful, chic, lovely = kawaii

Quote:
7. Black day. i dont think we have one in our country so can someone explain how this goes in Japan?
Is that the American day after their Thanksgiving one, where people go crazy for sales, so shops end up being 'in the black'?
I don't think japan has one, (well there is sales after New Years...) but neither do we, so I pass on that question.

Quote:
8. Do Punks and Gangsters with those weird elvis-type hairs exist(think the dude from Shaman King)? i'd probably laugh a lot if i got clobbered by them
umm, lol.
Well in Tokyo, if you hang around the youth districts, you'll definitely see some crazy-ass hairstyles, that's all i can say.

Quote:
9. Do schools in Japan have clinics w/ beds where students can sleep whenever they like?
Good question xD
Umm... I can't remember from my own university over there, but I had to visit my uni clinic a few times to sort something out. I think they'd have a place to rest, because at least during primary school there definitely was a small bed for us kids, if we were feeling sick.

Quote:
10. Is bullying really that bad in Japan as it is in anime? Think Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.
Never seen that anime, but it is bad enough. Suicides stemming from it hit the news in japan all of last autumn (2007) too many were happening to the point that the government really started pushing for national awareness and encouraging kids to come forward and talk (about bloody time)
So they are aware of the problem, haven't heard of any lately, but haven't been keeping tabs on the news either as of late.

Quote:
11. Do Japanese people mind that 'indirect kiss' thing?
Dunno what you mean, so 'pass' :P

Quote:
12. Is it rude if foreigners refer to you by first name? I know for a fact that japanese people only refer to others by the first name if they are in a close relationship (family, friend, etc.) but in most parts of the world first name calling is fine.
Doesn't matter if the person is a foriegner or native of my country, if I don't know them personally, don't use my first name. (well they'd not know it anyways.)
And when you say 'Japanese' you need to define. If its friends/family, naturally they'll use your first name.
If its a shop assitant or a stranger or someone official, then 'surname'-san, just like we do in our own countries, but we use Mr/Miss/Ms etc

Interesting questions though, I kinda forget sometimes some of the stuff people would think about Japan as I must have done many years ago

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-05-19 at 09:44.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote